The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anti-Veilside in the US...?

Aerotop Dave

i like veilside, the kits are nice, ok you can't seen much with the rear wing but who cares. Most people dont like the front and rear but i think that its because at once stage that kit was so popular that now people are fed up of seeing it, i know it will be like that with the TRD rear wing, in a few years people won't fit it because everyone has it. Its just how the times change i still dont think there is anything wrong with the veilside kit but thats just my opinion.

Guest Flat4_ire
i like veilside, the kits are nice, ok you can't seen much with the rear wing but who cares. Most people dont like the front and rear but i think that its because at once stage that kit was so popular that now people are fed up of seeing it, i know it will be like that with the TRD rear wing, in a few years people won't fit it because everyone has it. Its just how the times change i still dont think there is anything wrong with the veilside kit but thats just my opinion.
yeah thats true, loadsa corsas and civics with them too, and most of them are cheaper replicas, i like my front end a lot..really suits the supra i think, im not mad on the veilside wing though..

Guest Flat4_ire
I swapped my Veilside wing for £1k off the price of the car! :D Apparently he sold it for £1500!!!!!!

ud wanna be some nutcase to spend £1500 on a spoiler..or minted

They have better taste than a lot of the ones I see in this country and those fresh off the boat.

I totally agree with them, the Veilside kit is played out, every one has it, but that alone is not a reason to dislike it. The lines of the Supra are smooth and that kit is just totally in your face, even the skirts kinda stick out.

But also its the choice of ricers and and copies that make cars look riced out and OTT are usually based on the Veilside looking kits, on all models of car.

I think you forgot the "IMHO" bit :p that's your personal preference and everyone is entitled to it.

For example IMHO I don't really like the look of the standard car that much, especially the uk spec with it's chav scoop etc - blergh! but that is just my personal opinion, given the choice I'd take a veilside kitted car over a totally standard car any day of the week. I would agree there are better spoilers and fronts than the veilside though, but it's all just personal preference.

yep well said, things come and go. If something is too popular it can kind of be a victim of it's own success anyway... At the end of the day, I've seen the same kit look great on one car and rubbish on another, think it's the overall effect that counts in the end... :)

For a free plug - I'm after an original VS front bumper if anyone is fed up with theirs!?! Might consider a replica if fit & quality is 100%

I know it's kind of become fashionable to slag Veilside off because it's been around so long, but people have their opinions on everything, and IMHO it's still the meanest looking aftermarket front for the Supra.

I think you forgot the "IMHO" bit :p that's your personal preference and everyone is entitled to it.

Chilli, you know what mate you read my mind !

I read that earlier, typed out a reply saying that and thought .. man, just leave it .. it's not worth bumping it.

Everyone has different taste, no one is right, no one is wrong.

Shaun.

when i bought my car in 2001 the garage had a 6 speed kitted veilside supra with super advan racing 3 spoke wheels and i thought it was a great looking car.was too pricey for me and ended up with a standard facelift supra. now i hate the look of veilside kit.i have had a top secret bumper and have veilside copy skirts. would sooner go back to stock looking car and less ricer with big wheels. its funny how your tastes change over the years.

think the standard look is great but then everyon likes different things.

things like flip paint look so cheesy and max power.

Yeah, but your comment to get a few laughs about them being Americans and thus no taste is a bit uninformed. The majority of cars on Supraforums are better kept and modified than those over here, hence why you always see posts of their cars being posted here.

For example IMHO I don't really like the look of the standard car that much, especially the uk spec with it's chav scoop etc - blergh! but that is just my personal opinion, given the choice I'd take a veilside kitted car over a totally standard car any day of the week. I would agree there are better spoilers and fronts than the veilside though, but it's all just personal preference.

To me, 'CHAV'-ness or RICER is usually OTT form without function, as with the case all these big wings dont do shite apart from transform the car into a monstrosity sometimes. As the UK scoop is there for a reason I would disagree with you. But you're entitled to your opinion of course and Im glad we disagree :p

Problem with mods is if you do some, you gotta complete it, you cant get away with a things like a Carbon wing, flip paint, or bodykits and stock wheels, it looks cheesy.

Veilside who designed these bumpers and wings yeaaaaars ago done such a good job that even all these years later,cars still sport the bumpers wings etc..yes they are dated but its like everything else,someone brings out a good product,everybody buys it,then its classed as cheesy!i mean hey look at burberry!!what's funny is that 90%of the people who slag them off,have probably had one on there cars :p

Yeah, but your comment to get a few laughs about them being Americans and thus no taste is a bit uninformed. The majority of cars on Supraforums are better kept and modified than those over here, hence why you always see posts of their cars being posted here.

I take your point. I wasn't being entirely serious anyway, you are right there. But lets face it, the tastes of the US vs the UK can be somewhat different and my real point was, who cares what they think anyway? be it right or wrong in anyones eyes (i.e. there is no right or wrong anyway!).

To me, 'CHAV'-ness or RICER is usually OTT form without function, as with the case all these big wings dont do shite apart from transform the car into a monstrosity sometimes. As the UK scoop is there for a reason I would disagree with you. But you're entitled to your opinion of course and Im glad we disagree :p

I agree with you, I don't seriously think it's 'chav' because it's on a proper car.

I still don't like it though, and that is just as valid as any veilside criticim. Don't forget the car has a big wing on it from standard! saying one big wing is ok but a slightly bigger one is totally wrong / rice doesn't really add up to anything more than personal preferences to me.

I actually love the standard wing probably the most, if my car had come with one I doubt I would have changed it as I don't really see any other wing as actually being significantly 'better', they are just changing one for another, better is a matter of opinion not fact! I wouldn't mind an adjustable one though... At the end of the day it's nice to be different, if everyone ditches the veilside rear wing then these will stand out from the crowd again (in a good way before you say it :p)

But in the same way everyone went for veilside and now there is a backlash, same goes for bonnet scoops too lol. Loads of cars have the scoop, it just reminds me of those iffy nissan pulsars and the all too many subarus around. I'm sure these are/will go out of fashion too, like the kits do.

I expect the next backlash will be against trd rear wings at this rate, as mentioned.

Problem with mods is if you do some, you gotta complete it, you cant get away with a things like a Carbon wing, flip paint, or bodykits and stock wheels, it looks cheesy.

As I said, I think it's the overall effect that counts, the overall effect is greater than the sum of the parts, if the wing or front works, regardless of make etc then so be it! Admittedly it's got to be a balance that works well, no good spending loads on say a widebody kit and keeping standard wheels or something stupid like that.

anyway, it's funny how people can love a kit and then go totally off of it. If the same person can change their mind so drastically, what hope have we to argue which is best lol

• 2 weeks later...

Thats 1 guys from Americas' opinion ... not everyone in the WHOLE of America!

If you dont want a car with a 'chavvy' image then dont buy a Supra ... boy racers have been wanking over them for years and they are always going to be seen as slight 'Kev' car.

Same goes for the OTT comment ... Supras are not exactly subtle are they?

Last of all ... my Veilside kit gets no end of comments and other then meets ive never come across another one, wouldnt really say its that much of a popular kit ... maybe just a bit dated because it been out for so long.

I love it!

99% of dudes on supraforums in US hate veilside stuff, i love the front and sides

That's mainly because Veilside was the first (and for a long time the only) body kit company in the USA for imports. So it got played out because everyone bought it due to lack of choices. Then all the crap companies copied it and next thing you know every Pontiac Sunfire, Geo Metro, and Dodge Neon had a "Veilside style" kit on their car...

Regards,

Dusty

It's not about US vs UK. Never should be unless you like ranting about politics and cuisine differences.

That's mainly because Veilside was the first (and for a long time the only) body kit company in the USA for imports.

Not totally true. I was there and there were other choices, however, the Veilside kit became well known and very popular, very quickly.

So it got played out because everyone bought it ....... Then all the crap companies copied it and next thing you know every Pontiac Sunfire, Geo Metro, and Dodge Neon had a "Veilside style" kit on their car...

This is the exact reason US guys hate it. I don't like it either. I've just seen it on too many POS's. I spent four years in Japan, and never saw a single Veilside kit on a performance car. Only mini-cars and mini-mini-vans. Never on a Supra for sure though. Just cheapens the look of a car that ought to be reserved for those who can appreciate it for what it is. Few cars come as good stock from the factory, and I think you'll notice a lot of Supras in the US are returning to a clean factory look plus wheels and exhaust.

just my two cents... er, p.