The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Police Stop!! Help!!

npotts

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by b'have

Did you get a copy of that video in the end Charlie?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, went to the police station to view it before the court case, watched it with the duty seargant who commented that they needed quicker patrol cars!

FPSML ;) Wouldnt you just love to get hold of a copy............something to show your friends, the arse end of your Supra kicking down at 120mph......http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/buttrock.gif

It will almost definitely be treated as 3 seperate offences at 3 points per offence. Going to court should help avoid a ban though, it can be pot luck depending on how the judge is feeling.

I got a 56 day ban on the 10th of November for doing 86 on a 3 lane A road which had a speed limit of 40, as wll as 6 points and a £150 fine plus £40 expenses.

Personally, I think I got screwed with a ban AND 6 points but other guys on the day got worse.

Just luck of the draw.

I'm a little confused. What do you get charged with for driving through a red light?

When I got done (in '97) I'm sure they told me there wasn't a specific charge a "Driving through a red light" so they would charge me with Driving Without Due Care And Attention. Which I believe is a six pointer.

:conf:

Also, folks saying "Go for the points rather than a ban" or vice-versa. How do you do that? You get to choose, do you? Surely the magistrates are the ones that decide

Hi Jake

The charge for running a red light is 3 points I think mate, at least I hope it is!!

Depending on whether or not you are blatently running the lights or the severity of the actions of running the light, may mean that you would get 6 points - again this is only an educated guess!!

Nick

Originally posted by Jake

Also, folks saying "Go for the points rather than a ban" or vice-versa. How do you do that? You get to choose, do you? Surely the magistrates are the ones that decide

You don't get a choice Jake but if you can prove that it will be detremental to your job to be banned (living more than 10 miles away, letter from boss etc.) they are lot less likely to ban you, as you would then probably claim the doll!;)

I wanted a ban as I knew it would only be a short time (I got 30 days) so didn't mention about the work thing. You still get what you given, obviously, but if you really can't hack a abn and can give good reason why they should give points and/or bigger fine instead, thats generally what they will do.

Well guys, just stepped out of court for the 3 red light offense.

I sucked up to them big time and got away with 3 points and a £300 fine (£100 per set of lights)....

So much for the ban - I will have to keep the Supra now - big shame!!

Seriously though, thanks for all your replies guys. I appreciate all your advice.

Nick

Cheers for the replies guys....

Yeah they said that they could easily give me 9 points for this, but then went on to say that it was obvious how sorry I was, and that my license is clean, etc....

Just goes to show how important it is to be there!!

Nick

Well done Nick mate - thats a result :thumbs:

Perhaps you could share in more detail what was asked and what you said at court with us so we are a bit more knowledgable if this happens to any of us in the future ?

3 points for running 3 lights is a result :nana: :D

Cheers for that 'Far'...... appreciate it mate.

Good idea about posting what happened - lets hope this advice helps out other people. I have only been to court once so this is by no means a definitive explanation of how to 'get away with it'!!

I would definately say to always dress smartly. The amount of people I saw in court wearing tracksuits or hooded tops (with the hoods up)!! is unbelievable. Apart from the solicitors I counted only three people including me with a suit on!! There were alot of people in there as well.....

Anyway, here is what happened:

I arrived at court early, like before it even opened. This gave me some time to climatise to the surroundings of a Magistrates Court, and also get my head together, have a smoke and sort out my tie, suit and hair. I tried very hard to look as smart as possible.

As soon as the Ushers came out to sign people in, I was first in the queue, hoping to get priority over everyone else - this turned out not to be the case. It seemed pretty random as to what time you got called in.

Basically I waited for 2.5 hours before being called in. I used this time to prepare myself for any amount of questions I was going to be asked. I had no idea what to expect so just got it in my head exactly what happened on the day, and also what questions they may ask. I knew they would ask me if I had anything else to say about the offence so prepared my 'Sorry speech' - see below!!

When I was called in I put on my 'Sorry' face!! I looked down to the ground as I approached the stand and at all times spoke with a 'gutted' tone in my voice as if I was saying my last rights - seems over the top, but highlights to the judge how sorry you sound/are.

I was told about my case and asked whether I pleaded guilty or not - I said guilty, and was told that this is what I said in the original letter from the Police ("Thank you" was their reply).

As the courts read out the coppers statement of what happened, I simply held my head in shame as it was read out, deliberately looking sorry and shameful. When finished I was asked whether I had anything to add to the statement - (this is where you get the chance to say how sorry you are) - this is roughly what I said:

"Maam, I would like to add how sorry and dissapointed I am with myself for this offense. I returned from a business trip to Canada and the US two days prior to the offense, and feel that I was still suffering from jet lag and tiredness. Whilst I do not want to use this as an excuse for my actions, I would just like to point it out to try and explain why I was not concentrating as much as I should have been on the morning of the offense, which I am deeply regrettable for. It was totally out of character and I would like to add that I have never been stopped or cautioned by the police in my life. I would also like to add that I had been following a large truck for some time prior to the first set of lights, travelling at a very slow speed, which may possibly help to explain why I had not paid much attention to the traffic signals, as I was obviously not concentrating as much as I should have been. I am deeply sorry for this lack of concentration and accept that my actions could have been far worse had the roads been a little busier"......

After which, I was told to sit down. At this stage the three Magistrates had a chat and told me to stand before saying:

"We are at rights to give you a ban for this Mr Potts, or alternatively 9 points for the three offences. However, as you are clearly sorry for the offence, and have a clean record, I would like to give you 3 points, effectively one bad mark for all three signals. I am going to fine you £100 per set of signals though, plus the £35 court costs - how would you like to pay the fine?"

Thats it really - the case was over. During the whole thing I deliberatly held my head down and looked bloody miserable. I hasten to add that I didnt get back from a business trip to Canada or the US two days before - that was 2 months before, but hey it worked!!

I hope some other people get some tips from this. The courts never asked me once about the car (MR2 Turbo at the time), or about anything else to do with the offence, which surprised me. It only lasted about 10 minutes in total.....

Hope this doesnt bore the f**k out of everyone - went on abit here!! sorry.....

Nick

Well done....

At least you admitted what you had done... it is over now, time to go have a few drinks and make your way home and get busted for DUI *grin*

Just kidding, well at least for once someone got off likely for a relatively minor offence..

Unlike my gf's ex... p1sshead... alkie...take your pick

Drives a large truck 7.5 ton job..... 2.5 times over the legal limit..goes plowing thru a roundabout into a merc... (2nd time this has happened)... and gets banned for 1 year and 3 points for the second offence....

Damn it, why to let people like this drive....

Go figure how justice works in the country...

Gav

Mate of mine was standing on the chevrons of a duel caridgeway (he was crossing sides) when someone realised they were in the wrong lane, swerved across the white lines, and took my mate out. Dead at the scene. When the bloke went to court he told how he was in a hurry to get home (he admitted speeding) as he had a take away and wasn't paying attention hence him nearly going the wrong way....

RESULT.... 3 month driving ban :eek: He was due to go back to court to try and get off the ban (cheeky beggar) but the local rag printed 99% of his address in the paper and I believe the lad's brothers nipped around to make sure he didn't (would be too painfull for their mother)

Originally posted by GeordieSteve

RESULT.... 3 month driving ban :eek: He was due to go back to court to try and get off the ban (cheeky beggar) but the local rag printed 99% of his address in the paper and I believe the lad's brothers nipped around to make sure he didn't (would be too painfull for their mother)

Bet if he was doin 95 on an empty motorway they'd of banned him for 12 months! the past week has made me want to go and live abroad!