The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NEW BREAK DISCS AND PADS Which to Buy?

SILKYSMOOTH

However, for the price of the OEM discs, I think there could be the possibility of getting a disc with grooves or drilled holes for the same price or maybe a couple of quid extra.

Don't. For that same price the discs will be poor quality and prone to warping/cracking (the drilled ones in particular). If you can lock wheels enough for the ABS to kick in you don't need them. Instead get the OEM discs and treat them as disposable. Look at some good pads, good fluid (Motul), braided lines, and possibly look at bracing the master cylinder.

What does this do?

Get someone to pump the brakes while you watch, it moves around a fair old bit. Bracing it would help firm up pedal feel. There are some braces available just for that, but there's some front strut braces (Carbing?) that also have a master cylinder brace attached.

Get someone to pump the brakes while you watch, it moves around a fair old bit. Bracing it would help firm up pedal feel. There are some braces available just for that, but there's some front strut braces that also have a master cylinder brace attached.

Sounds good, got any links or pics :thumbs:

Thanks for all your advise guys, I purchased today a complete set of 3G Brake Discs with the 10 Grooves - NO HOLES - and also a complete set of EBC Greenstuff Brake Pads, as I managed to get a good deal for the whole lot. So should have these in the next couple of days, and I will get them fitted. :-)

I dont drive the car much, it spends most of it's time in the garage getting it's beauty sleep, not that it needs much! and the greenstuff pads do not need warming up and have a high inital repsonse when breaking so for my needs they should be ideal, and I am hoping the grooved discs will help me avoid any warping of the discs plus they will look good behind the split rims. They should be okay for the following year or two, then again there may be a possibility of selliing the car in the near future.

1994 Supra 3.0i N/A Auto, Jap Import, Gloss Black, about 57K, Clear side lights, 18" Deep dish Split rims, HKS Mushroom Induction Kit, 5" Stainless Steel Exhuast System (Sounds awesome), lowered suspension, 2500watt Bespoke sound system with TV - DVD- CD - DVDR - SAT NAV, Cat 1 Alarm and hopefully soon I am going to have a full bespoke leather interior and carpets made and fitted, which just leaves me to change the dash and interior lighting, and maybe the steering wheel, but everthing else is standard. Superb drive, very reliable and very fast.

Got the whole lot for £366 delivered - a saving over £137 than buying OEM stuff, could have got the redstuff pads for a little more but they have a medium initial bite though can take higher temperatures. £103 for the pads inc vat and £263 for the discs inc vat and delivery. I will let you know when I get them if they are Okay.

Are those prices from Steve Manley, he is one of the recommended suppliers :thumbs: his number is in my sig below.

Wez, he supplies parts at discounted rates for club members, not the bloke off the street. I beleive it was something that CJ went at lengths to negotiate. ;)

Received the 3G brake discs and Greenstuff pads in less than 24 hours of ordering them, and fitted the front discs and pads yesterday...:-) (rear discs are still enroute), cant believe how easy it was to change them. Look great and certainly do the job - just got to wear them in a bit now before testing them out properly.

Received the 3G brake discs and Greenstuff pads in less than 24 hours of ordering them, and fitted the front discs and pads yesterday...:-) (rear discs are still enroute), cant believe how easy it was to change them. Look great and certainly do the job - just got to wear them in a bit now before testing them out properly.

Well that's good service and you got them cheap enough... just don't do to many high speed stops on those EBC pads. I wish I still had the photos from when I managed to set mine on fire :innocent:

I fitted the rear discs and pads the day after, and also straight forward to fit. The grooved discs look cool behind the rims, and the brakes do have a sharper initial response, however, may be just slighly a little hard, then again, they have not worn in yet and i am tying to avoid any really sharp/hard breaking for the 1st 200 miles and then give them a real test. Overall it was better than before which is the main thing and I saved a bundle...which means I can get the Goodridge braided lines and some decent brake fluid.