The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help, please put my mind at rest!

Smellywelshman

yeah im going to keep my 5 also as i have the lsd aswell. Ive also driven a 6 speed and didnt particulary like it. I use my car every day and have a manual because i like to change gear. however i dont like changing gear every 2 seconds. Personal choice i think

I may go 6speed in the future but it will proberly cost more than the acturly TT conversion so as long as the 5speed holds it wont bother me.

You guys are a bad influence! haha you make me what to phone the bank and get myself a £1000 overdraft and do it now!

im controling myself i must wait till pay day :D :D

I'm sure there's loads of people on here running TT's on J-spec brakes. I'm no expert, but I'm sure Toyota wouldn't have supplied them on TT's if they weren't up to the job.

Granted, they're limited to 112 mph in Japan, but seriously, how often do you need to slam on your brakes at speeds greater than that? ;)

J-spec brakes (NA and TT are the same) aint actually that bad with the right disc and pad setup. For the power levels the smelly welshman (i forgot your name :blink:) is going for, standard brakes will be fine. Some people are still on j-spec brakes at 500bhp. The TC issue is easy, most people disable it anyway because they believe it to be dangerous, a very stone age attempt at traction control if you ask me. And finally suspension, get yourself a set of Eibach springs cos as Nic said, the only difference chassis wise NA - TT is the lower rated springs. ;)

I had j-spec brakes and they were terrible. Much better now..

Yeah, I kinda had to do a double take when I jumped into the supe after being in my 1.4 07 reg combo van and had to absolutely STAND on the brakes because the were like blocks off timber in comparison!!

They, and the suspension will be next! Mite just do the front and get brembos or something, that means I'll just need to fit stock UK's on the back, or even the original j-specs may do....

J-spec brakes (NA and TT are the same) aint actually that bad with the right disc and pad setup. For the power levels the smelly welshman (i forgot your name :blink:) is going for, standard brakes will be fine. Some people are still on j-spec brakes at 500bhp. The TC issue is easy, most people disable it anyway because they believe it to be dangerous, a very stone age attempt at traction control if you ask me. And finally suspension, get yourself a set of Eibach springs cos as Nic said, the only difference chassis wise NA - TT is the lower rated springs. ;)

Hi Jezz, its Rob;)

Hope that you dont get me wrong with this thread mate. Nothing to do with you really, just some tit of a mechanic and his views made me worry a bit. You know?:)

We still on for the 31st man?:D

The info and advice given on the forum has been great, cheers guys!

You're probably right Jezz, but I had std disks and pads, so I wasn't impressed. I'm sure with a little cash you could make them better, but then you'd have to argue that if you're going to spend a little, may as well go a little further (as is the case with the supra on most things ;) )

We still on for the 31st man?:D

The info and advice given on the forum has been great, cheers guys!

Thats what the forums here for. :)

You're all booked in mate. Do you mind if we document your conversion with pics etc for posting on here?

You will be fine Buddy, like you say brakes and suspension are easily changed.

May even be easier to change them whilst TT work is ongoing :)

I'd love to be able to do that mate, but the fact that I've taken over 75 gallons of water out of the rig Ive set up in my leaking roof over the last 12 months has to have some bearing!:(

It'll be right tho, you watch. I'll scrape some money togethether so that I can get it done within the following months:d

You still dancing the dirty one with those goats whilst watching the stars?!?!;) Sorry for f*#@$%g up that thread by the way!!!:p

Okey dokeys, The suspension thing is going to be a matter of taste, The NA is a tad softer and some like it that way AFAIK the UK spec also has softer springs (dunno if they are softer than the NA or not). Full all round eibachs and billies are supposed to be a massive improvement in handling with little cost in comfort (my NA and my eibach/billie TT had a large difference in both handling and comfort). Brakes wise I really would try and do something with them if you are going from NA to TT semi to actual BPU this area would be my own point of concern. As for all the nuts and bolts not being up to the job point your local exspurt to the various NA-T's around the world pushing out 8 second quarters or there abouts. Insurance would be my biggest concern as when I was getting quotes for converting mine way back when the biggest deciding factor was the insurance (I had the whole kit sat on my drive waiting to go for the conversion). Buggers wanted an extra 30-40% on top of the insurance I was already paying more than TT money for.