The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just been in a 720bhp Supra

AshBhp

MikeB's turbo is a lot smaller than your T51 andy all his torque will be low to mid range where as yours is mid to high.

Yup thats dead right, with my T88 i had very little traction issues, Gt4088 low down power and spins them up in 3rd with ease:)

I remeber chris webley saying the same thing when he went from a T67 to a T71 the way the power came on later ment he had better traction with the bigger turbo.

Would love a ride in the car if you're about sometime Andy.

It'll be down to the lack of low rpm torque and relative slow spool, and the fact that you're usually hitting big power at higer road speeds when tyre speeds are more capable at handling that power. (in comparison to these guys' smaller turbos which make relatively big torque even down in 2nd gear where yours just won't).

Agreed... To be quite honest i kind of like it that way.... instead of spinnng my ass im actually going somewhere.

Yup thats dead right, with my T88 i had very little traction issues, Gt4088 low down power and spins them up in 3rd with ease:)

I remeber chris webley saying the same thing when he went from a T67 to a T71 the way the power came on later ment he had better traction with the bigger turbo.

Would love a ride in the car if you're about sometime Andy.

Anytime Jamie... When im in your neck of the woods or an eveny ill take you out as long as you take me out in yours...:D:D

come to think about it you are dead on... I have no traction issues in 2nd as there is no spool to build power... the gt35 was way more brutal in 2nd when I had the tyres warm. The 4088 won't even get out of bed until you show it 3rd, then it's well angry!

I guess you can build your car to be devistating at your chosen two gears.... but to get it everywhere is the holy grail.

Parked next to a GT3 in Tesco's tonight... couldn't help but wonder if it had a holy glow about it...?

I'd be interested to find out what was different.. it doesn't say on the http://www.turbobygarrett.com website ...

Yes it does :innocent:

Journal bearing turbocharger

Oil-cooled bearing system

High Load Capacity GT Journal Bearing System

High performance BCI-18 compressor and UHP turbine

6-bolt turbine outlet flange

T4 (International-style) turbine inlet flange

4088R

High Performance C117 Compressor and UHP Turbine

Brings GT Ball Bearing performance to the 700Hp class V-band turbine outlet flange

T4 Turbine Inlet Flange

:p

Yes it does :innocent:

ah.... :donkey:

so the only difference aside the cartridge is

journal = High performance BCI-18 compressor

DBB = High Performance C117 Compressor

now I'm off to find out what the difference REALLY is!! lol

edit, just had a look....

yup there is no refrence past what they have written.. I have no idea what the difference is!

For 500hp at 6250rpm, use 60lb/min and 3.14 pressure ratio.

For 600hp at 6250rpm, use 72lb/min and 3.72 pressure ratio.

The inner rings are where the turbo is most efficient :thumbs:

Looks like the 4088R in 52trim on that sheet would be to small for anything over 500hp or very close to its limits.

The 4088 in the 54trim is still within efficiency for 500hp.

I got these numbers using tonys spreadsheet from this thread :-

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=91339&highlight=read+compressor+map

For 500hp at 6250rpm, use 60lb/min and 3.14 pressure ratio.

For 600hp at 6250rpm, use 72lb/min and 3.72 pressure ratio.

The inner rings are where the turbo is most efficient :thumbs:

Looks like the 4088R in 52trim on that sheet would be to small for anything over 500hp or very close to its limits.

The 4088 in the 54trim is still within efficiency for 500hp.

I got these numbers using tonys spreadsheet from this thread :-

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=91339&highlight=read+compressor+map

Great right up Wez.. I still need to be convinced for going for something smaller though... I like the late delivery of power as i think its more controllable....;)