nic_f

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Originally posted by Paul E

:p I'm rising above it all Migs - really just hope that it can be sorted for these guys and that Ian's map will work as a good base

:thumbs:

Fair play, well rise above before you type as all these changing post are doing my noggin in . :p .. Well yes i hope it can be cracked ..maybe you could help some of these peeps out with their probs:thumbs:

Smart move m8, think a few will be waiting with you - nice to hear it's OK on the stocks.

BTW - anyone contacted the states for a map to see what they have it doing on their larger installs - surely someone like Mohd will be happy to share? (even with an independant user?)

Useful to compare the whole lot - good / bad / indifferent?

Yeah, have got one from the Yahoo forum. I'm going to have a look at it this evening.

Nic

Nic

My thoughts exactly m8!

Check out this

http://mohdparts.com/supra/index.html

A copy of his map is situated here (in amonsgt the hype) - which may or may not be useful to you - also some indications of the settings he has used

Have set up a section under technical to see if everyone can share info on this - hopefully some of the mappers will also take note

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28613

Have also posted up on Supraforums to see if we can get some of those that work over there - I will then share any info that comes back

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=236543

Originally posted by Terry S

Nick from the Maps I have seen, Ian's is by far the best and most comprehensive.

Shucks :)

I'm not really saying much until I sort out some decent evidence. That means datalogs and AFR/boost/rpm graphs, and not just full throttle full boost dyno pulls either. The part throttle part boost midrange is where people spend a lot of time driving and from what I've seen it's very easy to go lean if you don't know it's quirks and foibles :)

That's not to say I'm not confident with my map, I'm just not gonna say it's better than anyone else's without these AFR plots to back it up :thumbs:

Dunno when I'll get to do them, things are up in the air at the mo (and the weather has started to suck).

-Ian

Got an older and a recent plot that I've knocked up into graph form, I hope this can show how the E-Manage can look after those pesky AFRs even at wobbly throttle and boost levels. If mapped properly tee hee :)

A couple of revisions old:

http://www.ian.chisholm.clara.net/pix/t67_720inj.jpg

A current map:

http://www.ian.chisholm.clara.net/pix/t61_850inj.jpg

edit - my bloody webspace server has chosen now to explode, you may just get dreaded red x's for now :mad:

-Ian

have a reply back from SF with a map in use - anyone care to check it out and comment please?

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=2449537#post2449537

I'm not qualified to comment but I'd like to add a Noddy question about this map:

He hasn't added any additional injector values in. I thought the purpose of these was to add duty cycle in order to accommodate the increased fuelling needed when under boost?

Without these values, how come the car isn't running rich at higher revs, but OFF boost?

For example, let's say he's accelerating at 40% throttle and 4200rpm: the map tells us that the emanage is adding 10% extra airflow signal - so the ecu adds more fuel. Let's say the turbo has achieved 0.4 bar boost at this throttle. The 10% extra fuel (or thereabouts) helps the car maintain a nice afr despite the fact that the SP63 is flowing more air than the ecu is used to seeing from the stock turbos.

But what if he is at 4000rpm, 40 % throttle, but has just backed off from 6000rpm? In this case, he could be at a much lower boost pressure and hence LESS fuel is needed than at 0.4 bar. However, the emanage is STILL giving the ecu the 10% extra airflow signal - and so the ecu is STILL adding fuel -so why doen't the car run too rich?

I'm not doubting that his car runs fine, but I can't square it with my (limited) understanding of how the emanage works. Can anyone explain?

Cliff

Edited for sense - hopefully.

You've gotta remember the guy is on a stock fuel system (that's 550's). There is no global correction factor, hurrah, so the figures in the map are actually what's going on, and he's upping the airflow signal and therefore the fuelling around 3000+ to cure that pesky lean spot, and then adding more as the turbo comes on song.

Which is all well and good, but +20% airflow means he'll reach boost cut faster - at about 0.6bar, as by then the ECU thinks it's getting 1bar boost and is fuelling accordingly.

This in turn means that by the time he's past 9psi of boost, the injectors are flat out at 100%. We can assume there is a fuel cut defender then clamping the signal at 1bar boost as the guy says he reaches 19psi on higher octane fuel. The fuel pressure may be up from stock, his post doesn't say but the idle trimming could point towards that, but that's about all the help the fuel system could be getting.

Can't say it's a setup I'd like to run, but that's me in England speaking :)

-Ian

Originally posted by Ian C

You've gotta remember the guy is on a stock fuel system (that's 550's). There is no global correction factor, hurrah, so the figures in the map are actually what's going on, and he's upping the airflow signal and therefore the fuelling around 3000+ to cure that pesky lean spot, and then adding more as the turbo comes on song.

-Ian

Right, I'm bloody lost now.

I guess what I'm asking is how any car can be set up to run without using the additional injector map, regardless of the global correction thingy. I thought the problem with the airflow map (used by itself) was that each cell only offers a single adjustment at a particular throttle and rpm and that this single adjustment can't take into account the differing circumstances the car might be in (e.g. higher or lower boost). Therefore the additional injector map can trim/add duty cycle for each pressure. But if there's no additional injector map, the car is only set up to run ideally for one particular boost pressure.

- Confused of Wiltshire

The addinj map can't trim duty cycle, but other than that you are right. The single adjustment applies to all airflow values that are encountered at that throttle position and RPM - so it'll be increasing the signal by the same amount at vacuum, overrun, cruise, and various levels of boost. The fuelling requirements for these scenarios varies quite a bit though, and although a one-size-fits-all airflow adjustment value is OK for a lot of load sites, it's not OK for quite a few important ones. If you tune airflow only you have to play safe and fuel enough for the worst case scenario - full boost and a bit - and lump it when a little bit of boost runs uber-rich as a result, or even cruising eats more fuel than it should. This is why I'm no longer a fan of the Apexi units for big jobs - that and their lack of load sites in the first place.

And also I guess some people's definitions of "mapped" and "running OK" differ to others :)

-Ian