The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Worried about write off

razza

Just to clarify, as i have previously advised:

*CAT D total loss = +60% - 100% vehicle value

*CAT C total loss = +100% vehicle value

*CAT B total loss = chassis damage vehicle (cannot go back on the road, sold for parts only)

*CAT A total loss = Fire or flood damage vehicle. Should be crushed.

Hope you get it sorted mate :D

I'm not going through my insurance, but am going through the other guys insurance via an accident management company. If the repiars are too high they'll not go down the repair route by the sounds of it, although not sure why if it's cheaper tot hem then writing it off.

I'm not too sure to be honest as it was a 5min conversation with GVN that just got me worried, after sending him through the latest info it all sounds like it'll be ok.:)

It'll definitely be OK then because the other guy's insurance can't write YOUR car off without you agreeing to it. You can insist they repair it no matter what the cost, even if it was like £30,000

It'll definitely be OK then because the other guy's insurance can't write YOUR car off without you agreeing to it. You can insist they repair it no matter what the cost, even if it was like £30,000

hmmm, solid gold doors then?:confused:

Im afraid thats note quite the case. All claimants regardless of if your the policyholder or a third party have a duty by common law to mitigate their losses.

Therefore, if it cost £15k to repair and the car is only worth £10K they would have to write off. They will only repair upto 100% vehicle value, not a penny over.

Only other option is to settle on a CIL (cash in lue) basis. This would mean if salvage of car is worth say £2400 (approx 24% @ CAT D, depending on insurance companies contract with salvage agent) and vehicle was work £10K before the accident, you would get £7600 and the salvage of the car.

This can work out alot better if not an agreed value policy or the insurer are not playing ball. When you have a modified vehicle especially.