The mkiv Supra Owners Club

We've been here before !

Muffleman

Yeah was leaving it all stock as stock is known for handling the power, but will mention the ARP bolts to the builder :) Anything else ?

Will do matey, but will be doing all I can to keep it ;)

If it were me and I was doing a semi budget rebuild then in addition to bearings shells etc etc which no doubt your guy will be checking I would want to include ARP rod bolts for definite and then if I was feeling a bit flusher I'd go for a set of CP Pistons in 86.5mm and also a set of Carillo rods. If you were going "all out" then I may change that piston choice to a Cosworth/JUN and go for Pauter rods (heavy but damn near unbreakable).

I really would do the rod bolts though, the stock rods themselves are relatively strong and if you're tuning is good they should be ok up to small/med single power levels. If you're running higher boost or nitrous then the forged piston (CP/JUN/etc) should yield some extra ponies due to reduced piston distortion/blow-by.

Just my 2p worth :)

Just a little update, the engine is out but they ran a compression test before hand. All cylinders were down to about 130psi with 100psi on cyl 3.

Wasn't smoking or anything, just slightly worn rings - but I'm one of those that has to have everything right. I could've sold the car as is and the new owner wouldn't have known, but that's not what I'm about ;)

Will be speaking with Jonny later in the week about which pistons\bolts etc etc. But so far all is okay. He is going to heat wrap the downpipe and manifold too whilst the engine is out, saves me getting my hands dirty :D I've also told him to cast his eye over EVERYTHING, Jonny is a professional and will advise if he finds anything untoward.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MetalHead

Hello from a newbie,

I'm thinking about getting a supra and I was wondering, if you don't mind me asking, what sort of money are we talking for a rebuild?

Cheers

I can let you know how much mine was when I get the bill - if I haven't had a heartattack :D

Just spoke to the guy doing mine, all bores were fine, head comes back today and that was okay, manifold and dp heat wrapped, nothing untoward found as yet - all seems okay. Might be a delay on the pistons though, might not come in for another few days or so.

But all going well so far :)

Guest MetalHead
I can let you know how much mine was when I get the bill - if I haven't had a heartattack :D

Just spoke to the guy doing mine, all bores were fine, head comes back today and that was okay, manifold and dp heat wrapped, nothing untoward found as yet - all seems okay. Might be a delay on the pistons though, might not come in for another few days or so.

But all going well so far :)

Cool. Thanks and good luck.