The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hello Dudes and Dudettes!

accent

Welcome to the forum :)

Firstly, N/A's are by and large much more expensive to insure. When I was looking when I was 21 (27 now BTW) they were actually twice the price to insure. Your best bet for insurance round these parts is probably going to be one of the Admiral group insurers - Admiral / Bell Direct / Elephant.

Get yourself along to the Jap meet on Thursday (as already mentioned) and meet us lot / we can chat about your gameplan for getting one etc. :) And it means you can see a grown up car meet that isn't a 'cruise' lol.

Just now, here's a pic of me in action at TOTB (ten of the best, THE car enthusiast competition of the year in the UK) to whet your appetite :D

Cheers,

Brian.

OOooo SScchhmmmokkinn'!!! :D

Yeah alright I'll come along, just don't expect me to talk too much, I'm a quiet one around new folks! ;)

No doubt I'll be involved with this site a lot more in the future so why not make a start now while I've got the time?:)

OOooo SScchhmmmokkinn'!!! :D

Would that be a Ssscchmoke and a Pancake? :D

Welcome to the club mate. As others have said, when the money isn't an issue is the right age to get one. I was going to wait until I was 25 for insurance reasons, but I caved 16 months early :D

And I'm still driving the same car that I had when I was 18. My 1.4 Corsa has served me well!

You can't go wrong at the meets - they're a friendly bunch on here and don't bite too much :)

i would make a guess that the NAs are "twice as much" to insure because when u tell them its a twin turbo they think "oooh uk spec car" even though its an import and you dont tell them... which if u bin the car into a ditch would make your insurance null and void?

i would make a guess that the NAs are "twice as much" to insure because when u tell them its a twin turbo they think "oooh uk spec car" even though its an import and you dont tell them... which if u bin the car into a ditch would make your insurance null and void?

And our survey says....... EHHHHHHH OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! :p

Just one of those insurance anomolies I've found. Something to do with the SZ (N/A) was never sold in the UK so insurers see it as higher risk because of low parts availability / high cost etc etc. Which we all know is bollocks but insurance is a funny old game.

Cheers,

Brian.

Well I'll generally be going with the cheapest IV, whatever that ends up being. I might just take up the weekly lottery now because I hate waiting for something I want lol;). I definitely won't have the money for a while as the only chance I have at making money is over the summer hols, and this summer I haven't found a job yet!

Hey dude. Bought my n/a when i was 19, insured it for the first year with sky. was almost 2 grand tpft!! Its now insured with elephant fully comp for a grand.

The insurance for a tt is the same on elephant. although they will only insure me on a tt auto and not a manual. So i rung up and they said this was because of my age!?!?!

apparently young people cant use gearboxes

Hey dude. Bought my n/a when i was 19, insured it for the first year with sky. was almost 2 grand tpft!! Its now insured with elephant fully comp for a grand.

The insurance for a tt is the same on elephant. although they will only insure me on a tt auto and not a manual. So i rung up and they said this was because of my age!?!?!

apparently young people cant use gearboxes

:blink:

presumably this can only be due to the relative rarity of the manual gearbox. It certainly can't be due to the autobox being less of a risk.

Mike

I think the main problem is that the ABI (association of British Insurers) don't actually recognise the existence of an N/A Supra.

The only MkIV Supras on their books are:

"SUPRA TWIN TURBO - Manual" - Group 19 (this is a UK spec)

"SUPRA TWIN TURBO - Automatic" - Group 19 (UK spec again)

"SUPRA RZ TWIN TURBO - Manual" - Grey (Jap import)

"SUPRA RZ TWIN TURBO - Automatic" - Grey (Jap import)

So you'll probably find that many insurers (especially those who only use the ABI groupings) don't actually maintain an insurance rate for an N/A MkIV, and therefore end up putting premiums on it which may (especially for unknowledgable insurance companies) exceed the rate for a TT.

ALWAYS try and find an insurance company who actually understands what car you've got!

presumably this can only be due to the relative rarity of the manual gearbox. It certainly can't be due to the autobox being less of a risk.

The difference in insurance premiums and policies between the two will be pretty much entirely based on how much profit or lost they've made on the two in the past. As you can see from before - the ABI treat the auto and the manual as two different cars, so the corresponding insurance premium rates and policies will be separate too, and will be adjusted independently based on their relative performance as financial products.

There is a lot to weigh up when deciding to go NA or TT. Insurance is certainly one, other points to think about are will it be a daily driver, if so the costs can dramatically increase with an NA. I personally went NA due to it being my 1st rear wheel drive car, daily driver and cheeper to run.

To my mistake earlier about the "N/A UK" model... it was an option on confused.com even though it doesn't exist, which supports the idea that insurance companies know shit about cars, another example is the problem with Toyota Glanzas; many companies don't have this car in their database.

I think the best way to go about it remains getting the best quotes then phoning them against each other and pleading with them to go lower!

Strange you mention that... I've just read that very thread about his crash before I read your post there. Very sad to hear about that, he was in the same position as me... young, owned a Fiesta and mad for Supras...

Nearly cried reading that thread.:(

You're right, I would like to take an advanced driving course some point in the near future. I know this doesn't excuse the risk but I am not a speed freak, I just love Supras.