The mkiv Supra Owners Club

REALLY P****d now.

terribleturner

So i put my new plugs in the car, put in an oil filter sandwich plate with my sensors and after i run the car for a minute i tightened things again. Run it again and checked everything over and all was good. Sensors didn't seem to be reading so i thought i'd take the car for a run to get some temprature through the oil. Well after about 300 yards the car sort of just lost power. and i coasted to a stop. Gauges weren't reading anything so i think they fubared. But i popped the bonnet and looked i over. No leaks so that was good. But i removed the oil cap and smoke was coming out :(

I went to turn the car again and i think all i can hear is the starter motor spinning and that's all. Wont actually start.

HELP!!!!!

I've now gotta go remove the front bumper so i can somehow tow her home :cry:

put the car in 4th gear and see if you can push her ? just to make sure the engine is spinning freely. if so then it sounds like the starter.

I'll go give that a go.

if you need a hand bud i can come over with the truck and a tow rope after dinner.

May take you up on that as i gotta go remove the front bumper and my old man has offered a tow with some old rope :(

not a broken cam belt is it?

No Cam belt is fine, although i did think it was making a noise the other day that stopped.

put the car in 4th gear and see if you can push her ? just to make sure the engine is spinning freely. if so then it sounds like the starter.

Ok, tried this but no go, wasn't gonna be moved anywhere.

Was one of the sensors was a pressure gauge? i hope that was giving a reading, but i am sorry to say it sounds suspiciously like no oil getting around the engine, especially by the symptoms:( but i do hope it is something much more simple and less of a problem.

It was but the gauge itself wasn't powering up so thought the gauges was broke. On the other hand the temp gauge wasn't reading anything :( I've got a new oil pump so that should be fine. I'd just topped the oil up after instaalling a new filter and the sandwich plate.

I just took some video.

Car is home now thaank god. Front bumper had to come off and i swear the headlights were superglued in.

Well by the sound of the video, the engine is turning over but a bit slow and reluctantly, but it also sounds like its not even attempting to fire, so i would start looking at ignition related fuses, check you have a spark, then look at engine management, coil pacs etc, oh and also it might make sense to take a look at the ignition trigger on the end of the crank.

You're having as much luck with your car as I am with mine James, hope all is well though!

Dude tell me about it, i thought i'd found the end of the rainbow to :(

Well by the sound of the video, the engine is turning over but a bit slow and reluctantly, but it also sounds like its not even attempting to fire, so i would start looking at ignition related fuses, check you have a spark, then look at engine management, coil pacs etc, oh and also it might make sense to take a look at the ignition trigger on the end of the crank.

I'me gonna put the new plugs in and see what happens as i'd only just changed them not long before i went out.

hope i,m wrong but if you cannot push it while in 4th gear with handbrake down it does seem like the engine is not moving freely if its possible i'll remove the oil filter just to make sure you have oil circulating before going any further with diagnostics.

Abs if i take the filter off what should i be looking for?? That the new filters oil has changed colour??

it should be full of oil when you undo the filter you WILL get oil spliage just a sign that oil is being pumped up to the filter. if its bone dry there might be a restriction hence wht there was no oil pressure reading on gauge.

The only other thing i have touched os the oil feed for the turbo so i'm gonna have a look there too. There was oil on the dipstick so gotta be somee in there. But why is it not turning over at all??

Need to...

check plugs,

check filter,

check turbo feed.

Anything else worth playing with while im in there??

I hope for your sake there is oil in that filter. Although there is oil in the sump a restriction of some sort at the filter will stop oil getting round the engine and will sieze it.

Really hope its nothing like that mate.

James you can hear the engine turning over in that video, though it concerns me just how slowly it is turning over. Was that with a nearly flat battery? I really hope it's not oil starvation and a seized bottom end :(

Thats what was worrying me, that starter sounds very strained.:(

just wondering, are there any warning lights on or any codes comming back up after linking the diagnostic port, as wondering if there is a problem the ecu is stopping the car from starting causing more damage maybe? is it that clever? :search:

Havn't looked for codes yet. SO pissed i didn't even want to go pick it up tbh. No lights came on at all but i'll check codes tomorrow.

I hope for your sake there is oil in that filter. Although there is oil in the sump a restriction of some sort at the filter will stop oil getting round the engine and will sieze it.

Really hope its nothing like that mate.

So do i :(

James you can hear the engine turning over in that video, though it concerns me just how slowly it is turning over. Was that with a nearly flat battery? I really hope it's not oil starvation and a seized bottom end :(

I think the only reason the slow turn is the battery just getting less and less now after the times i tried cranking it.

But does everyone think that is the sound of the car turning over?? Doesn't sound like that to me. It's not the same sound as when you take the ignitor pack off. Also just before we got to the drive i stuck it in 2nd and dropped the clutch, it tried to go but just died.

When you put the engine back together , did you weld the crank timing star behind the crank dampener ??.. sound like there is mo crank single thats why its not firing , else the other option you not getting any oil in the engine and now its seized ??...i hope its not this.