The mkiv Supra Owners Club

SZ Performance???

Guest neil_165

Guest IainS

I went from a MX5 Mk1 1.8i (130BHP) to an NA a couple of months ago - wanted a TT but couldn't really justify spending that kind of money on a weekend toy (get train to work) and would only consider a manual.

I absolutely adored my 5 and it broke my heart to get rid of her but the NA is a definately an upgrade - I find it almost as easy to throw around the countryside as the 5 but much more grip and very much quicker, and you can get the tail out in the dry(the 5 didn't have the power to do this really)!! Going from a 1.8 to a 3.0 is like stepping out of cessna and jumping into an 747 (if you see what I mean - bigger and heavier but much quicker..) - there is a definate feeling of power and torque in comparison to the 5 and I would whole heartedly recommend getting an NA to begin with. Its a much smoother ride as well and quite a lot safer!

I am saving for TT but the NA is a great introduction and a perfect progression from a 5!

One thing for sure is that you will miss the soft top!

I have a stock J-Spec TT and when returning from DragonBall I was following Scooter (NA) from M25 up the A3 slip road.

Honestly I have to say I was surprised at the NA's performance!

Many of you know I drive like a granny most of the time anyway but this gave me some insight into the NA performance and it was way faster than I expected.

I've not driven an NA and went straight for TT (given my age & NCD the insurance was only 420 anyway)

I have a stock J-Spec TT and when returning from DragonBall I was following Scooter (NA) from M25 up the A3 slip road.

Just to chip in again... that nice Mr Rob Sheffield thought mine was a TT on the way out to the JAE convoy last year (which we missed!), and was suprised to know it's an N/A... or he was being nice :blush: :D

Many of you know I drive like a granny most of the time anyway but this gave me some insight into the NA performance and it was way faster than I expected.

I was ragging it! but its no slouch off the line..........30-70, and 70-100 type of rolling acceleration will show up the NA more IMO......

• 1 month later...
Guest magic dr.shoon

So would I feel a huge amount of difference going from a bmw 530i V8, to an NA?

I'm not trying to compare, they are two totally different classes of car, but I have always LOVED the supra, and I WILL have one one day, when I have the room to have a toy too (in the midst of moving house to get more room on the driveway!!).

But I think the BM is 0-60 in just over 7 secs, 7.1 i think by the book. but it is RWD with just under 220 BHP, although it is a chunk heavier.

Well N/A's are great, 60 in 6 secs only 1 sec slower than a stock TT, sure there isnt much you can do to these but tbh if u have the money to do something to a car then why even think about a N/A?

I bought an N/A till i lower my insurance and points:P

Roll on next year then cruising with the big boys :cool:

P.S There good for 160 as thats the max ive pushed mine so far

Guest magic dr.shoon

a stock tt is very fast by anyones standards. Yes there are faster stock cars out there, but not many, and definatley not for the price.

Again, i am talking by the listed specs rather than putting my bum in the seat!

Non turbo Supra is very slow IMO... stock TT isn't fast as well, but if you spend +£1k (BPU) you will have nice, quite fast and reliable car. Buy TT if you can afford it.

TT "is not that fast", guess that's why you stuck with the sz then?, both are quick cars tt very quick, i have spun an sz supra and shat myself, and also spun my tt aristo 180 degrees in the wet and shat myself more, a tt is liable to drain your wallet more due to need to mod it:)