The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Nur Spec and the Law

supraman382

puttin me off putting mine on this is :rolleyes:

DONT BE!!!! I ease of the loud pedal when I go past police so it doesn't draw as much attention to me and I never have a problem (touch wood)

The only problems I have had from the police is when I didn't have a front number plate - which I do now (just a little small tho) I'm suprised I dont get more bother being 22 in a modified car but then I dont drive it like a twat

I believe the limit to pass the SVA is 102 decibels and the limit for the road is 108 decibels, measured at a distance of 25" and not in line with the exhaust. We have very over zealous policemen here (cos they got so little to do)

So, basically if you've got a valid MOT (preferably done _after_ the Nur was fitted), and none of your neighbours complain, you're probably OK. Just like me.

Plus the Nur only makes 99.7DB (still got the DP cat)

DONT BE!!!! I ease of the loud pedal when I go past police so it doesn't draw as much attention to me and I never have a problem (touch wood)

The only problems I have had from the police is when I didn't have a front number plate - which I do now (just a little small tho) I'm suprised I dont get more bother being 22 in a modified car but then I dont drive it like a twat

nah its defo going on i was just being a wimp last night lol ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well it happened... got the the £30 ticket, they explained I can write a letter of defence within 28 days or pay the fine?!

I knew it would happen, they must be really bored at the momment.

Im not going to pay, I am going to ask for it to be tested and then if it is too loud Il cough up, otherwise I dont see what they can do (apart from make my life difficult)

He couldnt really say, he refered to reg 54 (or 52, I cant remember) which states the exhast system must not be altered and must be maintained.

Basically he was saying its too loud but couldnt tell me what the limits were. He was quite casual about it and said I can have it tested and produce a letter saying its ok, a little hard if I have not been told the limits!

Looking at the comment earlier about Reg 54, I'd still say you're ok:

"Only new cars are subject to maximum noise limits. However, Regulation 54 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 does set minimum requirements for the maintenance of exhaust systems and silencers for cars, and other vehicles, in use. This requires that they be fitted with a silencer, that the silencer is maintained in good and efficient working order and has not been altered so as to increase noise. The Regulations also make it an offence to use a car in such a manner as to cause excessive noise that could have been avoided by the exercise of reasonable care on the part of the driver. It is likely that a straight-through exhaust, whether used on a customised car or any other vehicle, would be in breach of this requirement. Enforcement, however, is a matter for the police."

Your exhaust is well maintained isn't it? No holes etc?

And surely the Nur has a silencer/back box?

i thought they can only give out tickets based on the noise on your zorst if they have a sound measuring device to record the dB of the exaust. my mate had a pug dimma with a straight through system extremly loud got pull and was told not to drive it after 9pm at night or they would book him for anti socail behaviour. i would think this cop has booked you because police are not meeting there targets for arests and so on i heard on the radio some kid got nicked because he was carrying a egg around with the intent to throw stupied id contest it!!!!!!

Nur is Pristine, no holes, not purtruding out the rear too much. I wasnt driving as to cause excessive noice.

I think Andrew was right in saying they have quota's to hit as the cop said his guvnor has given them the go ahead to give out fixed penalty tickets for 'noisey aftermarket exhaust' as locals have complained. But surely the incidents should be dealt with individually not simply penalising everyone?!

I certainly wont be paying this time round, I will send in my defence and request it is fairly tested. If it proves to be too loud then I will happily pay and sort it out... cant see that been the case though!

Maybe Il call it a Nur tax and just pay the £30 every 28 days :)