The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Who should I take my car to for some work?

RedM

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris,

I will try to find out exactly what needs doing re: swapping boxes. My old mechanic is proving exteremely hard to get hold of so I may have to take a trip out to him and ask him if he can share the info as he doesn't seem interested in doing the work.

As for the box being duff then I wouldn't have even considered blaming you. I have a refurbed box. I have accepted that the work was done and that the box was only removed to make way for a manual conversion. If it turns out to be duff then it's my own problem.

Will respond to your email with full details as soon as I can speak to my mechanic.

Hold fire.

I've just had my mechanic on the phone and he is going to take the car in and have everything done before then end of the month.

Fingers crossed.

Just out of interest Martin, where do you get your car done ?

I could do with finding someone for future reference myself...

You have to take the speed sensor + Cog out of the jspec box, and fit it into the ukspec box... Everything else fits perfectly....

Just so you know :)

Yeah, that's what we've researched. Any problems with gearing, ECU?

Not as much as he used to be but that's the chap.

Do tell.....

Nothing too specific, just general annoyance with getting hold of him, silence when expecting parts, no cars on fire or anything as far as I'm aware :)

Oh yeah, absolutely impossible to get hold off but worth the time and effort.

Also very, very busy to the point that he should have extra staff but that then means he isn't fully responsible for the work and he doesn't want that.

Fingers crossed for me though. End of the month and I'm going looking for that Audi.;)

Yes, do you have more gossip?

No, but remember Dan (he bought my old black mr2), Peter is doing/helping Dan out with a lot of the work being done on the car (I still keep in touch with Dan about how he's getting on with it). I always had good dealings with Peter, but I know Dan tells me he's very hard to get hold of these days,

Oh yeah, absolutely impossible to get hold off but worth the time and effort.

Also very, very busy to the point that he should have extra staff but that then means he isn't fully responsible for the work and he doesn't want that.

Fingers crossed for me though. End of the month and I'm going looking for that Audi.;)

He was supposed to do my FMIC & a few other jobs while the car was at DMB, but he took so long to not finish Ross's car that Dave gave up on him & he has a new guy called Miguel now, who fitted teh FMIC pretty quickly. We'll see how the quality of workmanship is when I get the car back - anybody still use ART in Wakefield ?

UPDATE:

Last friday lunch-time I was told that my mechanic was going to consult his diary and would definitely ring me back within 24 hours.

So, on Monday, I rang him again. Left a message. On Tuesday too. On Wednesday I actually go to speak to him. He was under a car but would ring me back in about an hour.

So I emailed him last night and he read it at lunch-time today. No reply yet.

Should I take the hint?

Also, if anyone fancies quoting me for a JDM to UK autobox swap, a full suspension/sterring components check-up, a cambelt change, anc belt and tensioner (like what Doug has just had fail on his) and an oil/filter swap, please do.

FWIW my mechanic, due to not believing his own hype/thinking he's god's gift to tuning/ and being realistic only charges £35-ish an hour + VAT so if you want to quote close to that, that'd be good too.;)

UPDATE:

Last friday lunch-time I was told that my mechanic was going to consult his diary and would definitely ring me back within 24 hours.

So, on Monday, I rang him again. Left a message. On Tuesday too. On Wednesday I actually go to speak to him. He was under a car but would ring me back in about an hour.

So I emailed him last night and he read it at lunch-time today. No reply yet.

Should I take the hint?

Also, if anyone fancies quoting me for a JDM to UK autobox swap, a full suspension/sterring components check-up, a cambelt change, anc belt and tensioner (like what Doug has just had fail on his) and an oil/filter swap, please do.

FWIW my mechanic, due to not believing his own hype/thinking he's god's gift to tuning/ and being realistic only charges £35-ish an hour + VAT so if you want to quote close to that, that'd be good too.;)

Jesus, that's not on, I've never been treated like that by a mechanic (and never will :D)