The mkiv Supra Owners Club

5mt topspeed and strenth?

bkvj

W58 5-Sp box is only good for 350lb/ft torque from what I've read. All too easy to exceed with a 2JZ-GTE bolted to it!

The R154 5-Sp from the Mk3 Supra Turbo is a better bet with around 500lb/ft torque handling capability from what I've read, but as is the consensus here you're much better just going for a V160 / v161 Getrag 6-Sp from the outset for correctly matched torque handling capacity and ratios.

Cheers,

Brian.

Ah fair enough, yeah it was the R154 with a modded bell housing that I had been looking at...

i believe the V161 (from the facelift to i believe) has a slightly shorter 6th gear doesnt it?

I think all the ratio's are a little shorter on the V161 (with the possible exception of 5th).

Its an extremely rare box though, it was only available on the late facelift models.

I've read that the 5 mt is more fun to drive, but you do lose some topend speed. i know the 6mt has a rough topend of 180mph, but how much does the 5mt loose?

AFAIK ~265 kph (~165mph)

and what about strength? the getrag is near indistructable apperntly, but what about the 5mt then?

Enough good for up to 500BHP (at flywheel)

Regards

Tomasz

AFAIK ~265 kph (~165mph)

Enough good for up to 500BHP (at flywheel)

Regards

Tomasz

165, thats not to bad is it:D

But if i wanted more power than 500, i'd have to buy a new gearbox, and as they are rare AND expensive (there is/was one for sale for 1200, but from a member on here with all anchileries it was about 2500 and new 6000+) it looks like im going for one with a getrag 6 anyways....thanks for the info though people really apreciate it:D