The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Decat problems can anyone help?

wallis

IMO you need a boost guage and to check your car for an FCD.

It doesn't seem like you've hit fuel cut as i think i'm right in saying its alot harsher than 'a misfire' .......with a imported TT and a full decat you should be going +1 bar (hence everyones restrictor ring advice) so it may be that you have a FCD fitted.

FCD installed that you don't know about + full decat + 12 yr old Intercooler + stock (and possibly old) plugs + sustained wide open throttle = potentially dead engine........

No FCD & full decat but with no fuel cut is also strange but a nicer strange...........

From memory, 48mm for 1bar, 52mm for 1.2bar.

Cheers,

Brian.

so with me having a standard setup i need the 48mm ring so its @ 1 bar + colder plugs and i should be laughing!

thx guys you have been a great help.....any bodywork problems just hit me up!

If you don't have a boost gauge, fit one!!!

I always say better safe than sorry - fit a walbro fuel pump since your stock J spec will be over 10yrs old no doubt.

From the symptoms you describe, you need colder plugs and a smaller plug gap. The cheap and reliable way is to fit NGK BKR7E's gapped at 0.9mm - they should cost you £10 tops for a set of 6 from any local motor factors.

Fuel cut as already mentioned above happens at above 1 bar sustained boost... if you wanna run the turbo's at 1.2bar (safe limit on j spec ceramics) then you need an FCD (fuel cut defencer) chip which gets wired into the MAP sensor wire on the ECU wiring loom, to intercept the airflow signal and fool the ECU into not fuel cutting by telling it it's making less than 1bar (around 4v, it's a 0-5v sensor).

Cheers,

Brian.

No FCD & full decat but with no fuel cut is also strange but a nicer strange...........

the car is serviced like clockwork, and had a new intercooler put in about 3 years ago....well from what i have worked out in japanese anyway....lol

also the car was put on the rolling roll when it was imported to this country 2 years ago and it was almost 380 bhp and its standard?

i was told thats about right anywhere between 300/380 is normal for an import?

maybe its a strange car thats been messed with and put back to standard to sell in this country?

maybe its a strange car thats been messed with and put back to standard to sell in this country?

indeed and and FCD was maybe not worth the hassle removing when it was put back to stock(ish)

all i'm saying is the stock fuel cut was put in to safe guard the car from run away boost. Decat a stock jspec and it will hit this cut...not pleasant but no real harm done. If this cut has been removed previously and you have no visible means of knowing what boost you are running its potentially dodgy between now and fitting a restrictor ring.......even then you won't know what boost you are running you'll just know its a safer level than it is now.........

what cat (decat) back exhaust do you have?

indeed and and FCD was maybe not worth the hassle removing when it was put back to stock(ish)

all i'm saying is the stock fuel cut was put in to safe guard the car from run away boost. Decat a stock jspec and it will hit this cut...not pleasant but no real harm done. If this cut has been removed previously and you have no visible means of knowing what boost you are running its potentially dodgy between now and fitting a restrictor ring.......even then you won't know what boost you are running you'll just know its a safer level than it is now.........

what cat (decat) back exhaust do you have?

the designs a hks 3" stainless copy i think, it was hand built by rebel power pipes for me from scratch today from a design some one had from another tt supra they did a while back (but they did say he kept his first cat on that system not the sec), for me they just removed the first cat and the sec cat is sleaved with flange's so i can just put the 2nd cat back in in min's....well i would hope!

Just curious, but what makes you think this Jody?

ive had noz on all my cars over the last few years with great results.......the turbos love it, it cools down & condense's the air intake to make them even more efficiant.

we had a saab 900t with 130,000 on the clock and just for a laugh we ran a single injection noz @ 140 bhp and it is still going now.......lol

and it went like stink!

i love noz.......heheheh!

hey guys,

i got the car sorted out today and WOW! what a difference!

We put a 50.5mm reducer in the decat section, NRK colder plugs & fitted a boost gauge to see exactly what was going on.

the cars now running at about 1.2 bar and its faster then ever, really responsive and really quick, infact its like driving a different car now.

i would just like to say thankyou to everyone for being really helpfull and for the sound advice.

cheers,

matt.