The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is my turbo dying?

Jake

Pictures please :) The turbos I've seen have six bolts holding three metal bars on that secure the exhaust housing to the centre cartridge, so not sure what you mean there.
Well there's six bolts but only four of them can be removed, the other two hit the centre housing which means you can't take them out. You can undo them a good few mm though, so if you could pull the centre housing away from the turbine housing you could probably undo them the rest of the way. I couldn't budge the two housings apart though.

If you need to go down that route I've heard good things about Turbo Dynamics and they do DBB stuff. No idea why your turbo would be shagged though?
Funny you mention Turbo Dynamics, I'm reading through their web site at the moment. It's not making happy reading to be honest: http://www.turbodynamics.co.uk/fault.htm

I have personal experience with TurboTechnics (currently running a pair of their turbos on my Supe) and have had no problems in about 25,000 miles and 3 years. I believe Chris Wilson uses these guys as well.

Also worked with Universal Turbos in the past but that was with VNT turbos. Very helpful and informative and seemed to know their stuff.

Is yours a DBB Jake? I suppose it would be nice to stick with a PHR stage 1 if you want to save on remapping (maybe worth contracting phr to see what they suggest).

Well there's six bolts but only four of them can be removed, the other two hit the centre housing which means you can't take them out. You can undo them a good few mm though, so if you could pull the centre housing away from the turbine housing you could probably undo them the rest of the way. I couldn't budge the two housings apart though.

Actually I remembered wrong, there are three bars with two bolts each on the intake side, but two metal bars with two bolts and two shared bolts each on the hot side. Your description or two bolts being impossible to remove reminded me of this - the top and bottom ones just slacken off and the C-shaped metal bar comes out from under them.

The two housings force fit themselves together like I mentioned :) You'll need a rubber mallet and some bits of wood to persuade them to part company (unless anyone knows a better way).

-Ian

Is yours a DBB Jake? I suppose it would be nice to stick with a PHR stage 1 if you want to save on remapping
No it isn't DBB.

It's not the remapping that concerns me it's the possible fitment issues with a different turbo. I don't want to have the downpipe and IC alignment hassles that I can imagine might happen with a different turbo.

Actually I remembered wrong, there are three bars with two bolts each on the intake side, but two metal bars with two bolts and two shared bolts each on the hot side. Your description or two bolts being impossible to remove reminded me of this - the top and bottom ones just slacken off and the C-shaped metal bar comes out from under them.

The two housings force fit themselves together like I mentioned :) You'll need a rubber mallet and some bits of wood to persuade them to part company (unless anyone knows a better way)

That's right, you remember it now. I chose not to force the two housings apart because I was worried about the possibility of damaging the turbine wheel as the two parts fell apart.