The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rain!!

tbourner

Your options:

GO very slowly, get overtaken by old people etc.

Get RLTC.

Go for an early morning drive on some quiet roads, and learn how the car reacts to certain inputs. The MKIV does not HAVE to be driven slowly in the wet, you can still push on if you don't mind the rear end squirming, and reacting and controlling that.

Option one is never really practical, get RLTC for now, but still have some practice with the car anyway, its always benefical.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried to convince myself for months that I didnt need RLTC.

I found it difficult to drive in the wet. (My car may have had something wrong, but a lot of people have said similar things about the supra TT in the wet.)

It really put me off the car, which I had bought in the summer.

Eventually I spun, at 50 and went up the kerb. Split a sideskirt and burst a tyre. I was very lucky.

So I fitted RLTC and there arent words to descibe how much I liked it ! :D It absolutely transformed the car for me. I no longer dreaded driving in the rain and actually relished it !

Some people do fine without it. Others drive at 2mph in the rain......

There is also the stock traction control issue, to disable or not ! It is pretty awful but will help in some situations, while making others worse.

Knock the stock traction off, and be carefull......i don't drive 2mph in the rain, i have no traction control and love it, tame that back end!!!

With my 19s on my cars fine in the wet, likes to give a little wiggle now and then :p but fine ;)

You just need to know how she handles :thumbs:

With average drivers at the wheel, I'd put good money on a RLTC equiped car being significantly faster, more stable and easier to drive in the wet, than a stock car.

That's not to say that you should be racing in the wet, but I know which car I'd drive...

All down to personal preference... Personally, I wouldn't be without it. :D

I think I'm a pretty good driver, I can understand the car and generally react to what it's doing quite easily (I know everyone probably says that though).

But I'm not used to this type of car so it'll take a while to get to know it.

How much to buy and get fitted RLTC?

I hate plugging things on other peoples threads, because it looks like my comments are aimed at increasing sales. But if you check back over the last couple of years, you'll see my opinions haven't changed, and it's only recently that we've begun selling them.

At the moment, we've got a couple of kits to clear. Details in this thread, in the Vortex section if you're interested.

Not if you’re a good driver, you shouldn’t buy a Supra if you need RLTC to keep the car on the road…..

400bhp+ is never going to be a fast car in the wet, you just need to drive sensibly when it’s wet and leave the stock traction control on. £600 for RLTC plus fitting, just seems a lot of money that’s all.

Paul

I dont sell RLTC nor do I have share in the company. But RLTC tames the beast.

I think RLTC is great, I develop and supply free dats tuned to indivial drivers needs, free to BBS paid up members.

Don't take my word for it as I may not be an experinced driver I have only been driving RWD cars for 30 years, 27 without RLTC, covering about 500,000 so still alot to learn.:flame Dev

Terminator, i'm sure it is good in the wet, all i'm saying is the Supra isn't really designed for high speeds in the wet, and in the dry theres no need for traction control at all, if you want RLTC then fair enough, it's just not for me. It's expensive and i only drive my car really fast in the dry so i have no need to buy it.

I'm not saying you havn't got experience, but are you saying young drivers arn't as good? Most race drivers are young so i don't think thats the case, if anything reactions get slower.....he runs :p ;)

I'll stay out of the TRC thing, as I have already posted my opinion.

However, in regards to old/young drivers. It is not a question of speed/skill, but knowing when and where to use it. An older driver appreciates how rare the opportunity to go fast is, and also has better anticipation skills. Going fast around a track is much easier, with fewer unknown quantities. A fast (yes usually young) driver on a track seldom makes for a skilled road driver, where there is so much more to be taken into account.

Originally posted by Syed Shah

I'll stay out of the TRC thing, as I have already posted my opinion.

However, in regards to old/young drivers. It is not a question of speed/skill, but knowing when and where to use it. An older driver appreciates how rare the opportunity to go fast is, and also has better anticipation skills. Going fast around a track is much easier, with fewer unknown quantities. A fast (yes usually young) driver on a track seldom makes for a skilled road driver, where there is so much more to be taken into account.

Something else to consider in the young/older driver is the fact that the majority of newer drivers these days will never have driven a rear wheel drive car before they get in that supe for the first time. So whilst people are getting to grips with a car that behaves totally different from what they are used to its an idea to have a safety net is it not? RLTC as far as I was aware is a better safety system than stock traction or am I wrong here?

Your missing the point though, you don't need TC, only in the wet and the stock UK TC does a fine job in the wet. In the dry you don't need it, and if you read back through the thread you'll see that H1Supe and another person crashed there's with RLTC installed, answer me how if it makes the car so safe? Everyone with RLTC is going to defend it as they have forked out loads of money for it :innocent:

The Supra isn't that much of an animal, it's a quick car but in the dry controlling one surely can't be that hard can it? ;) I drive mine hard and if the back end starts to slip take your foot off the pedal, it will get back under control fairly easy.

Also if you watch Top Gear, they allways knock the traction off while testing cars, why is this?

Paul :)

When truely shifting, it is an animal! You may be comfortable controlling it (in the dry), but how much of its ability are you using? If you have enough confidence/skill/self-control, then by all means do without (I have neirther the stock TC or RLTC). But I would still recommend RLTC to 99.5% of Supra owners, it is a safety net if you like driving near the edge or are simply a tad overwhelmed by the power.

Originally posted by Paul Laing

Also if you watch Top Gear, they allways knock the traction off while testing cars, why is this?

Paul :)

To get all that pretty smoke and the backend round when playing on the track. Most of them wouldn't dare try it on the road, as I said in my other post, road and track are miles apart in nearly all respects.

Because they are sodding good drivers that drive cars like that for a living.. I know it might be difficult for a driving demi-god like you to comprehend that perhaps some of us like a bit of re-assurance and a bit of electronic assistance with staying on the road.

RLTC is as far as I was aware a little bit more intelligent than the stock trac control so it can be used in alot more situations. One being in the dry for newer drivers perhaps. The fact that RLTC is a little less restrictive than stock TC is means it will get left on a lot longer than stock TC so in answer no I am not missing the point here at all.

The fact that various people managed to crash still even with RLTC fitted is neither here nor there. People crash cars regardless of how many safety systems there are. But just because they do should we really not have any safety systems?

If you are happy with your ability to handle a machine without traction then bully for you but the rest of us mere mortals shall stick with our backups:D

in my experience the stock tc is sh1te by the time it cuts the power you are already going round in circles:( im used to driving rwd cars, my old beetle was a riot in the wet the heaviest part of the car is behind the rear wheels:eek: so rwd in the wet doesn't bother me BUT im going to get rltc as soon as i can afford it just as an added safety net.

btw they knock the tc off on top gear so they can get good arse end out shots, it looks impressive but its not very quick