The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Thoughts and Opinuns

terribleturner

I would go for oil pressure and EGT,IMO fuel pressure is something that you really only need to setup once, not constantly monitor,

I have,

oil pressure

oil temp

AFR

EGT

plenum/intake temp

usually a water temp but the pipe is leaking, so not used at present, and i also have a spare thermocouple in the engine bay.

Guest dee_rz

I was told a while ago that the best gage you will ever need and the one that will tell you alot is the EGT gage.

Think about how it works and you'll realise yourself it's practicly all you need as if any of the other things at not reading where they should be you'll be getting an egt reading that will tell you that you need to slow down etc as your engine is about to pop :D

I was told a while ago that the best gage you will ever need and the one that will tell you alot is the EGT gage.

Think about how it works and you'll realise yourself it's practicly all you need as if any of the other things at not reading where they should be you'll be getting an egt reading that will tell you that you need to slow down etc as your engine is about to pop :D

But unfortunately it wont tell you when you have no oil pressure:p

But unfortunately it wont tell you when you have no oil pressure:p

Yeah i had EGT before put it didn't indicate there was a problem at all before my bottom end went bang.

JamieP made a very good point today which was if i have oil pressure instead of oil temp the pressure will indicate when it's hot enough. But on the other hand i will it indicate if running too hot??

Again unfortunately not, because oil pressure is varying with RPM its difficult to really know if there is any significant change, whereas oil temp will let you know is something is wrong, mind you water temp is much quicker to respond, one other tip, its not a bad idea to wire up an ultra bright LED to the oil level warning light;) i found that when my FMS blew i only noticed the std oil warning light, luckily before it got to low and caused oil pressure problems, you can't see the dam thing in sunlight:(