The mkiv Supra Owners Club

God those roads are slippery!

Darren

I've only had mine a couple of weeks and all I get from my mates is "let's see what it'll do from a standstill". I don't think they'll realise how easy it is to slide the back end until they drive a rear wheel drive car. It was dry quite a bit in the first week I had it and I've developed a liking for the second turbo! Can't wait for the Spring...

Snap / ditto

The 3rd device is your BRAIN.

Last year I put my Supe into an armco barrier while doing less than 20 mph on a roundabout. It was about 6pm on a Sunday night, very slippery. It was starting to snow even. The roundabout is like dish tilted with me heading from the top towards the bottom. The combination of greasy road surface and the adverse road camber pushed the back end out left. Only doing 20 so dead easy to control – NOT!!! She then fishtailed right then left and by the time I was heading towards the Armco, I must have been doing 5 mph. ABS is kicking in too late. All I can hear is the sound of glass and reg plate breaking and plastic creaking from the front. SOB! It was like one of those slow motion crash test dummy films. The damage looked a lot worse than it really was and even the HID bulbs were intact. I was mega worried the insurance would write her off but the assessor decided to fix her.

Silver lining was I got two new headlights worth £300 each, complete new front end with drop-down spoiler and front respray for a £250 excess. Result! But I wouldn’t recommend this to anybody sorting out heavily chipped paintwork. I could’ve let her spin out but if I went off to the left I would have rolled down a 15 feet bank. Ouch! Since then TC never gets switched off. And the nightmares continue. Today you can see the storm blue paint on the bent-up barrier and all my mates call it Chewie's roundabout. You can't miss it if you're driving past GCHQ in Cheltenham.

Who else is seriously struggling for grip? My cars spinning up all the time! And I'm being gentle on the throttle :(

Anyone else suffering?

nope all fine here....perhaps its RLTC or good tyres or a smoother style of driving or a combination of all.

Class one posted a good message about driving in the winter....some good advice there.

The 3rd device is your BRAIN.

Last year I put my Supe into an armco barrier while doing less than 20 mph on a roundabout. It was about 6pm on a Sunday night, very slippery. It was starting to snow even. The roundabout is like dish tilted with me heading from the top towards the bottom. The combination of greasy road surface and the adverse road camber pushed the back end out left. Only doing 20 so dead easy to control – NOT!!! She then fishtailed right then left and by the time I was heading towards the Armco, I must have been doing 5 mph. ABS is kicking in too late. All I can hear is the sound of glass and reg plate breaking and plastic creaking from the front. SOB! It was like one of those slow motion crash test dummy films. The damage looked a lot worse than it really was and even the HID bulbs were intact. I was mega worried the insurance would write her off but the assessor decided to fix her.

Silver lining was I got two new headlights worth £300 each, complete new front end with drop-down spoiler and front respray for a £250 excess. Result! But I wouldn’t recommend this to anybody sorting out heavily chipped paintwork. I could’ve let her spin out but if I went off to the left I would have rolled down a 15 feet bank. Ouch! Since then TC never gets switched off. And the nightmares continue. Today you can see the storm blue paint on the bent-up barrier and all my mates call it Chewie's roundabout. You can't miss it if you're driving past GCHQ in Cheltenham.

But I aslo know of quite a few barriers with other peoples paint on it from leaving the tc switched on. Its just dangerous, its late, it doesnt control things very progressivily and if your a driver that would try to counter something then you get bit again by the standard tc system creeping up behind you........... :cool:

nope all fine here....perhaps its RLTC or good tyres or a smoother style of driving or a combination of all.

Class one posted a good message about driving in the winter....some good advice there.

Thats strange cos I have same as you and mines just plain evil at mo. :( Even when I'm driving smoothly and using the torque of the engine rather than the boost it still bad.

What setting are you using on the RLTC?

Drove from Poole to Eastbourne and back today laden with presents for my daughter.

It was extremely slippery the whole way but by driving smoothly I still managed the trip back in 2 hours. :)

VVTI with standard TC and Snow mode behaved perfectly. The TC kicked in a few places, but nowhere I wasn't expecting it.

And OH that Shoreham tunnel... That's the first time I've driven it since putting the new exhaust on. Certainly woke up a couple of the sleepy old dears pottering along in the slow lane. :D:D (I must admit to doing a SimonB and giggling to myself the first time)

I have a tt with only the standard tc an i find the best way to control it is by loosin it an playin with it, so next time it does it it self i know what to do.

There is a problem with this idea of mine that iv found the local plod think im the stig an have warned me.

I think next year i may go into driftin comps oh an be sponsored by a tyre company cause god damm i need it .

Oh Im sure we all have a roundabouts that we know where we can kick it out a bit. In Basingstoke over by Chineham the roundabout with the red men on it, theres a tight bit to go up the dual carriageway, thats great for kicking it and nice and slow cause its tight. Dont know why I thought I would share that with you, but in case anyone local see's it.......:D

this time of year is great fun ! i think i've taken about 5000 miles of the rear tyres in the last week playing drift. All that salt they are putting on the roads sure is making it greasy :D

And OH that Shoreham tunnel... That's the first time I've driven it since putting the new exhaust on. Certainly woke up a couple of the sleepy old dears pottering along in the slow lane. :D:D (I must admit to doing a SimonB and giggling to myself the first time)

Nice, it's rude not too in that tunnel isn't it. Even if I'm just cruising as soon as I enter that tunnel I just can't help myself, windows down, drop down a gear or two and go :D puts a smile on my face everytime. The Lewes tunnel is good too, thing sometimes I scare the crap out of the car infront by booting it through there and zooming up behind them hehe

Just been out in the TT auto.

Sequential turbos, F1's, LSD, stock geometry etc. Very slippy car.

Hard for some to believe but i could drive a big single car quicker in these conditions keeping it under 4K.

So far the best combination I have found so far is big tubs that do little before 4K, RE050a, and non std geometry. The Supra LSD is fine for a summers day but a little butch for these greasy roads. The vvti I had with no lsd was better to drive in the grease.

Come to think of it, the Supra's NUMB steering adds to it all. The little than loads response is so unprogressive it is hard work.

One of the benefits of extra castor and zero toe is that it steers progressively and feels heavier. Running too much neg camber on greasy roads is a no no, thats really asking for it.

Take care people !

yep spun mine last week and hit a kurb killed the rear nearside alloy bad part was i hit the kurb backwards :( but the good side i got new alloys fitted on tuesday in the form of ultralights 755s:D

lucky no other damage was done

lucky for me I haven't had much of a chance to drive without the missus being present recently, and turbo no.2 never rears it's head when she's in the car. Not worth the grief as she gets launched back through the seat. So avoiding spin out nicely this winter :)

take it easy guys.