The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Car won't start.

Rob

I ordered my parts and picked them up 2.5 days later. Only paid 19.90 Euro too! Funny thing is, I went to work on the car (I left it at work) and found that the starter may not have been the problem after all.

I had the car jacked and had gotten under to have a look. So I figured I'd try the ole smack it with a hammer a couple times trick. That didn't work. Still the same single loud click when trying to start. So I stuck my head under the hood and had the wifey try to start the car. I found that the click was coming from the area near the throttle body. I pushed on the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) and TRAC Stepper motor which are on the outside of the throttle body while she turned the key and the motor actually tried to start. I have to admit, it scared the crap out of me at first because I was expecting just the click. I pressed the connections in under both the TPS and the TRAC stepper motor and then gave them both a couple of taps with a finger. Tried the ignition again and vrOOM, car starts without problem. I think I will take the starter out and replace the contacts anyone since I have the parts now.

Any ideas? Has anyone else run into this problem? Pic attached of TPS and TRAC motor locations.

eng_side_intake_front.JPG

Well, it now works, huzzah, ph34r me, I am teh meckanic. Danger to the manifold.

It's a bit of a sod doing it own your own, it'd be a lot easier to get the motor back in with one guy holding it from above while another does the bolts up from below.