The mkiv Supra Owners Club

High stall..... ?

Jim_1979

oh yeah! silly me, so its either go for a higher stall TC or use power braking to get the revs up on launch?

Would that be correct?

No, on the drag strip with any TC you'd power brake launch.

It's hard to explain but I'll try:

For any given accelerator position with a hi stall TC vs. stock, the car will have less forwards motion up until the stall point which is where the TC locks the gearbox 1:1 with the engine, like being in 5th gear in a manual TT.

The stock TC stall point is around 2,100 RPM so you get mild slip to reach that point. My hi stall has it's stall point rated around 4,000 RPM so you get lots of slip until you can reach that point. Like parking a manual in a tight space - you slip the clutch to limit how much forwards motion you get or want and how steady that forwards motion is but when driving off normally you give just enough slip to stop the car from stalling.

On the drag strip, this means you launch in the zone where both turbos are spooled - right in the meaty bit of the powerband, rather than lower down with one turbo spooled.

What this means for town driving in a hi stall equipped car is not that the car idles or revs really high - both these things are normal, it's just if you want to go as fast as a stock TC equipped car then you need to press the accelerator pedal down further to achieve it. The Supra is a very fast car so it's really neither here nor there IMO.

Hope this kinda explains?!?

Brian.

No, on the drag strip with any TC you'd power brake launch.

It's hard to explain but I'll try:

For any given accelerator position with a hi stall TC vs. stock, the car will have less forwards motion up until the stall point which is where the TC locks the gearbox 1:1 with the engine, like being in 5th gear in a manual TT.

The stock TC stall point is around 2,100 RPM so you get mild slip to reach that point. My hi stall has it's stall point rated around 4,000 RPM so you get lots of slip until you can reach that point. Like parking a manual in a tight space - you slip the clutch to limit how much forwards motion you get or want and how steady that forwards motion is but when driving off normally you give just enough slip to stop the car from stalling.

On the drag strip, this means you launch in the zone where both turbos are spooled - right in the meaty bit of the powerband, rather than lower down with one turbo spooled.

What this means for town driving in a hi stall equipped car is not that the car idles or revs really high - both these things are normal, it's just if you want to go as fast as a stock TC equipped car then you need to press the accelerator pedal down further to achieve it. The Supra is a very fast car so it's really neither here nor there IMO.

Hope this kinda explains?!?

Brian.

Sort of mate!! i'll read further tho i think!! its still not 100% clear!

This extra 'slippage' that is expected from the high-stall TC, is the same reason the extra heat builds up in the fluid (so you need extra radiators, fans etc to avoid transmission meltdown)

It is also the same reason noise goes up. It's hard to imagine a car with stock exhaust having a high-stall, isn't it?

If you've got a straight-through, revving the car to 4Krpm early in the morning can lead to unhappy neighbours;)

Even though I have a 3800 Stall, the car will start to move well before 3000rpm. The car moves when I take my foot off the brake on level ground anyway (idle is set at 1100rpm) without me even having to hit the accelerator pedal as you normally get with an auto box.

I never have to rev the engine to 3800 rpm to leave anywhere unless I am on a hill or leaving in a hurry.

Even though I have a 3800 Stall, the car will start to move well before 3000rpm. The car moves when I take my foot off the brake on level ground anyway (idle is set at 1100rpm) without me even having to hit the accelerator pedal as you normally get with an auto box.

I never have to rev the engine to 3800 rpm to leave anywhere unless I am on a hill or leaving in a hurry.

Exactly the same as mine Joe. My car will happily start moving off from idle (also at 1100rpm).

This extra 'slippage' that is expected from the high-stall TC, is the same reason the extra heat builds up in the fluid (so you need extra radiators, fans etc to avoid transmission meltdown)

It is also the same reason noise goes up. It's hard to imagine a car with stock exhaust having a high-stall, isn't it?

If you've got a straight-through, revving the car to 4Krpm early in the morning can lead to unhappy neighbours;)

It's kind of expected to install some kind of extra tranny cooling when you install a hi stall. Best practice really - I went for a fluidyne & spal, no big deal.

I think you're misunderstanding how a hi stall works John, as others have said above, you don't need 4,000rpm to move anywhere. The car will still drive itself in D with no brakes - infact it becomes easier to drive when pootling about as you don't have to reign it in so much with the brakes.

Don't tell me you converted to manual because you had misconceptions about a decent auto setup! :eyebrows: :D

Cheers,

Brian.

It think thats standard on any Auto Supra, my car moves of when in gear with no throttle, you can compare it to a manual in relation to once its in gear its in gear

It think thats standard on any Auto Supra, my car moves of when in gear with no throttle, you can compare it to a manual in relation to once its in gear its in gear

Originally Posted by Gamer

:)

I heard the daily drive nightmare stories but i have no idea what they mean now. I drive the caar every single day and do a 30 mile round trip just to work, and that can be heavy traffic. TBH i can't even think back to the sstock TC now as im so used to it. The car moves as soon as you take your foot off the brake and it louder of course when driving off but fine.

It is fine for me, I would have no problem using the car day to day in town. If my exhaust was not so loud you would probably not even know that my car is running a hi stall. To be honest only a real Supra owner who knows the differences between the stock stall and a hi stall would even be able to tell.