The mkiv Supra Owners Club

GS300 - known problems?

ChrisSZ

I swapped to a gs300 from a supra sz although mine is really an Aristo tt badged as a gs300, has cost me a few grand with rebuild at the moment but it is lovely to drive.Not too many probs with the na but beware of sticking calipers and knackered engine mounts, dash lights are a bit of a pain sometimes but best to try for a dash from a scrap dealer only a prob at night!!.I was caught out with the tt which is costly but hope to have it back soon, good luck

Some good points there mate - cheers:d

I still haven't decided if I should hold onto my bling bits from the Supe and transfer them over or start all over again with the lex or even quit the modding thing for a few years (yeah, right!):D

Been surprised at the low cost of Mercs - just can'tfigure out what's what so I think I'll hang out for a later spec (twin headlight) GS.

Just out of interest, the GS300 is the Euro spec Aristo, right? But it only ever had the 2JZ-GE in it? So theoretically you could swap in a 2JZ-GTE to the GS300?

-Ian

Yes thats right, although mine is badged as a uk gs300 even has uk bumper on it at rear, but toyota emblem on steering wheel and 2jzgte under bonnet.You could swap engines but would have to prob change gearbox and possibly diff and propshaft.All gs300/Aristos are auto boxes.Aristo prices are good, but a few people have had probs with them including me, Robert too

theres a few problems thay suffer from front and rear top arms excess play, front lower balljoints excess play,front strut bars perish (fcuk to change) speedo needles, erm if its a n/a dizzy o ring leaks,shocks leak,rad's block up,

thats just some common bits ive delt with on mk1 gs's

Brake booster circa £2k - listen for a loud buzzing at start up and when using the brakes. Slight buzz ok, but when it gets seriously loud that's when it could be a sign it's on its way out.

On MkIIs the rear steering racks are a weak spot and are costly.

Brake booster circa £2k - listen for a loud buzzing at start up and when using the brakes. Slight buzz ok, but when it gets seriously loud that's when it could be a sign it's on its way out.

On MkIIs the rear steering racks are a weak spot and are costly.

its only mark II's that have the power brakes and the master cylinder problem,

steering racks are only on J specs though and not uk's