The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Spec info required.

Guest hamps_w

Originally posted by Scooter

3. Search and be patient and you will find an Aero TT for £9-10K

be careful - some cheaper aerotops have crash-damage history and have not been taken care of by the previous owners. the reason that they cost significantly more is that they tend to be well-looked after cars that are the rarest of them all here and are the penultimate model to have ........ no bias of course .... :p

Originally posted by Roy

be careful - some cheaper aerotops have crash-damage history and have not been taken care of by the previous owners. the reason that they cost significantly more is that they tend to be well-looked after cars that are the rarest of them all here and are the penultimate model to have ........ no bias of course .... :p

Which of course makes the ultimate car the TT VVTi tiptronic :D

You could always do what I am doing and get an N/A aero top to start off with and then when you get bored of it step up to a TT by doing a TT conversion. I am in the process of doing this job to mine so watch this space to see what the costs are like but I am almost sure that the costs will be about 60 to 70 % of the difference between the two cars. Even if it works out the same its one MOD that will leave you breaking even on car value.

3. Search and be patient and you will find an Aero TT for £9-10K

If you really want a TT aerotop I'd still advise the above, and know it is achievable. Ok the car might not be a minter but these aerotops are now at least 9 yrs old, so even a £13-14K car is likely to not be perfect.

being careful when buying one is a must but you should not be any less thorough on a more expensive car, its just like any car that needs the usual looking over and driving.

Not too bothered re crash damage if its been repaired ok, and anyway the vehicle check should throw up any major nasties.

If you really want a TT aerotop I'd still advise the above, and know it is achievable. Ok the car might not be a minter but these aerotops are now at least 9 yrs old, so even a £13-14K car is likely to not be perfect.

The oldest ones which tend to be the cheapest are in fact closer to 11 years old. I think they tripped them out first early in 1994 my N/A was made in 1993. The rot in prices of TT's has not set in on aero-tops so even ropy ish ones are fetching good money, I know I looked for a very long time before deciding to do the conversion. They are a rare car and becoming rarer as they slowly get written off. If you find one that is good at £9-£10k you will be a very lucky bar steward is all I will say.

Originally posted by dangerous brain

And personally I wouldn't touch any Aero-TT for less than £11k as its bound to have summat wrong with it.

perhaps, but maybe something wrong that can be sorted for a few hundred quid?

why instantly dismiss cars on a cheap price? seems barmy to me........ take a look, what harm can it do!

Agreed. I'm surprised so many people dismiss Supras because they are a bit cheaper. The person that got that TT aerotop on eBay the other day for £8500 got a bargain in my eyes, and the person that got the TT 6 speed for £8K last Friday too.

Even if it needed some tidying like scooter said having a look cant hurt. You just have to keep an eye open there are bargains out there.

I guess you fella's are right but its just the confidence factor. i would be forever worried that there was summat suss about it, so much so I think it would ruin the experience of the car. I would be freaking at any little noise etc. There are doubtless bargains available. Just me being very much get what you pay for mentality. Apparently a trader down the road from me has an aero TT with 50k on the clock and in blue on an M so an aftermarket spray job for £11k. I might go have a look just out of curiosity.

i agree with both dangerous brain AND scooter in that cheaper examples TEND to be far more ropey examples because any car worth having (and that has been thoroughly taken care of) normally commands a premium (not even counting mods done to them) but like scooter also says - it never hurts to just look.

could be someone that desperately needs cash but these are very far and few between. i went to see one a few weeks ago that was advertised for 14k (IIRC) and it was snapped up almost immediately and the seller (trader) said he regretted starting off so low. i also met a guy recently while looking at a few cars that told me he had been on the lookout for an aero tt for 2 years now with no luck.

it seems there are several different schools of thought on the values. i know of someone that got offered very good money but didn't want to sell. at the same time, the ebay/autotrader one that got snapped up for such little money makes you wonder if there is a 2 tier market out there - the lucky and the unluckily hapless!!

i think the aero tt was produced for only 2+ years ie. late '93 to early '95 - can someone confirm this ?

Hmmmmmm....I have both an NA and a TT. To cover some old points:

Maintenence - Hardly any difference when comparing cars on an age basis.

Petrol - Will be cheaper in a NA because you don't need to run Optimax, that or a UK TT. Consumption difference isn't worth worrying about though.

Performance - The NA does go better when higher up the rev range. The TT has lots of torque when rolling and into the first turbo 1,800 RPM+

The TT insurance UK or Jap will most than likely be cheaper than an NA as they are all imports. Fcuk knows why this is:conf:

Cost - As everyone else says, thats down to what you want and how much you've got to burn.

Either way, I'm sure you'll enjoy owning one:)

I stand almost corrected there is a dark metallic blue aero possibly a TT (I have been told its a TT but I can't see it from outside the compound) in mint looking condition with BBS alloys and 50k miles on in a jap importers for a fiver shy of eleven grand so they are coming down a bit. Mind it is a K plate.

Originally posted by Paul Laing

My N/A - 2k insurance fully comp

UK TT - 600 quid fully comp

:eek: Thats a great price.. you're 21 aren't you? Can I ask who you're insured with, and does that include modifications?

Thanks

ps: sorry for slight thread hijack :innocent: