The mkiv Supra Owners Club

this car looks awesome

pdg26

forgot to mention, put one of your parents down as a named driver on your policy when getting a quote off admiral, it will drop your insurance quote down at least £150, if not more :)

And yes, the tt is alot quicker, you can easily run a reliable 400bhp.

OK mate - the impression i get is that the TT is a much quicker car. any info on performance stats, just for comparison? acceleration, top speed, etc?

I don't know official figures and haven't measured. I would guess my TT 0-60 was around the 4.5s mark, maybe a bit less (it had BPU). My NA is stock - and I suspect it's about 6.5s. There is a bigger difference than I expected between my 911 and the NA Supra - the 911 accelerates noticeably quicker (but a TT would destroy my 911).

Don't know about top speeds. I only ever took my TT up to about 125mph (private track obviously). The PO told me he'd had my NA up to 155mph once. I suspect the top speed might not be all that different between the two but the NA would take quite a bit longer to get there.

Heater still worked, just no cold air, some people don't bother getting it fixed (check it blows cold before buying) but I found the Supra cabin got really hot and with the windows open too noisy. The Water Pump is crucial. Basically the bearing & seal went and all my collant pissed out of the radiator. If I hadn't had stopped straight away then my engine may have seized.

Maintenance probably about £350 per year for decent service/ plugs/oil etc (does not include any nasty surprises)

Petrol about £1400 at 20mpg for 7000 miles

tyres - budget for at least £300 per year (I get through a set of rears every 8000 miles and fronts about every 16000) about £150 each tyre

forgot to mention, put one of your parents down as a named driver on your policy when getting a quote off admiral, it will drop your insurance quote down at least £150, if not more :)

And yes, the tt is alot quicker, you can easily run a reliable 400bhp.

what is it as standard - 320?

also - thanks for the tip, does that work with all insurance companies?

Heater still worked, just no cold air, some people don't bother getting it fixed (check it blows cold before buying) but I found the Supra cabin got really hot and with the windows open too noisy. The Water Pump is crucial. Basically the bearing & seal went and all my collant pissed out of the radiator. If I hadn't had stopped straight away then my engine may have seized.

Maintenance probably about £350 per year for decent service/ plugs/oil etc (does not include any nasty surprises)

Petrol about £1400 at 20mpg for 7000 miles

tyres - budget for at least £300 per year (I get through a set of rears every 8000 miles and fronts about every 16000) about £150 each tyre

thanks mate - so a couple of grand a year i could afford to run one do you reckon, for 7000 miles a year? as i say, not too interested in upgrades / mods as will be looking to buy one that is already the spec i want - just worried about maintenance!

Well, the Supra is generally a very reliable car with no known design problems (except the dreaded heater matrix - do a search). I guess that they're getting to an age when bits fail through age, like my water pump, as it could on any car, so you need to expect some repair bills, but with decent maintenance you should catch anything before its catastrophic. Also, I said that I wasn't going to change the car (stock when bought it) and 6 months later started on the slippery slope...

Well, the Supra is generally a very reliable car with no known design problems (except the dreaded heater matrix - do a search). I guess that they're getting to an age when bits fail through age, like my water pump, as it could on any car, so you need to expect some repair bills, but with decent maintenance you should catch anything before its catastrophic. Also, I said that I wasn't going to change the car (stock when bought it) and 6 months later started on the slippery slope...

what made you change it just out of interest? what's the TT as stock - 320 horses or so? that's crazy - i dread to think what yours is running now! crazy power? i hear the single turbos are 500 plus!

Guest Nicholas
well, i live about 10 mins drive from rutland, just outside (actually live in Leicestershire)... i don't know John! can he help? ;)

If you live in leicestershire you should know John!

here he is http://myspace-799.vo.llnwd.net/01240/99/70/1240720799_l.jpg

what made you change it just out of interest? what's the TT as stock - 320 horses or so? that's crazy - i dread to think what yours is running now! crazy power? i hear the single turbos are 500 plus!

Because there's so much you can change, that it seemed criminal to own a car which you can easily extract more performance from and not do it :D

There's only a few performance mods - running a few psi above stock, maybe 350? Side mount intercooler was knackered, cheaper to install Front mount (notice the stronger pull). Downpipe gives the slightly increaed boost. Exhaust sounds nice. Gauges are good to have to monitor Boost and Exhaust temps. Still sorting out handling/suspension. Had UK brakes and factory bodykit when I bought it and I got the wheels off bay for £200, but am thinking of getting some new ones soon.