Electric Fans .......was BL turbo kit with 1331 crank hp

MONKEYmark

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mohd?! Good bloke, but he could learn a bit more about photography and writeups. His usually go like remove 'x' and install 'y' with a distant photo of a Supra engine bay :p

I like to learn from the US guys mistakes, most of the road and autoX guys learnt their lesson on electric fans. :)

Alex, no HP numbers on the fans. They were put on with the Single turbo. :(

About the SF guys. Its a pretty damn good resource for ideas and proven work for people in the UK just getting into APU. Its not hero worshipping, its just being smart.

I lived 22 years of my life in Florida and the last 4 years here in London. I can easily say the entire tuning "scene" has been alot bigger in the US. APU Supras just took a bit longer to catch on over here is all. :D

Guest Terry S
Originally posted by Supraguy

Actually, I dont agree Alex. I wouldnt call it worshiping, its just simple fact that they DO have more Supra tuning experience. Its nothing to do with gas prices, etc.. Its the simple fact people have been doing APU mods for years on many many many cars.

The UK surely has the resources and capability of doing the same. It just lacks experience. Look at the tuners in the US and look here. Not Formula 1 etc.. Supra tuners. The picking is pretty slim and most APU cars in the UK are not personal cars, but shop cars. Ie: JPS, Calder, Whiffin, etc.

While the UK is still caught up wasting time with hybrids (personal opinion), the US has single turbo Supes everywhere. Its all a matter of time and eventually the UK will catch up in Supra tuning experience.

*edited* to say this isnt directed at the Elec fan argument, but Supra tuning as a whole. :)

This is exactly why I sell BL kits, best VFM quality, and hopefully people know me well enough to know I wouldn't sell crap, unlike some others. The cost of single kits now make hybrids very poor value.

Again, some of you guys are hooked on bhp/drag racing ( Jason has a sensibly sized turbo). Paul, go build a genuine 700 bhp road car and then tell me how you feel about it, usablilty and all.

Guest Terry S
Originally posted by Supraguy

Alex, no HP numbers on the fans. They were put on with the Single turbo. :(

About the SF guys. Its a pretty damn good resource for ideas and proven work for people in the UK just getting into APU. Its not hero worshipping, its just being smart.

I lived 22 years of my life in Florida and the last 4 years here in London. I can easily say the entire tuning "scene" has been alot bigger in the US. APU Supras just took a bit longer to catch on over here is all. :D

SF is a good resource, like every forum, you get idiots.

The part about tuning here is bollocks. I have shared loads of tuning tips pioneered over here with MKIV guys. It's just different priorities, that's all. The are far more concerned with bhp than drivability, and 1/4 time against longevity.

Paul, I say electric fans are unreliable from EXPERIENCE. Show me any expert who will say an electric fan is as reliable as a viscous.

Guest Terry S
Originally posted by Paul Laing

I never said anything about usability :)

Terry - Do you still rate the Powerhouseracing gear? Have you asked them why they make a twin electric fan conversion? Maybe they could give you fugures Alex?

Jarrett is a good guy, but news flash, he is selling stuff. It was the PHR kit that failed on mine BTW

SG - you may not hero worship, and in all honesty it wasn't aimed at you. I think the US does have the UK owners at a disadvantage. But I'm also compelled to mention that there is also A LOT of BS spouted and it takes a trained eye to filter it out and find the good stuff. APU is NOW taking off, because the UK owners couldn't get VFM before now. Tis all good now :)

I am surprised I've not heard about any cars in the US trying to take on the V8 HKS Supra with the 3UZ-FE....I would have thought that an off the wall project like that would have been right up their alley.

No doubt Alex. Pound has always been much stronger than the dollar since I have been here, but its good the current low dollar value has benefit some to go APU. Like I said, its just a matter of time. Terry is in a damn good position marketing BL kits to the UK. Especially as a sole distributor. ;)

Not wanting to bring this argument back up, but I just thought I’d post some thoughts from Dusty about this subject:

Hi Paul,

This is a sticky question to be honest. Electric fans on a street car

or drag car I believe to be an excellent idea. You will save weight,

rotating mass (i.e. gain horsepower), and cool just as good or better

than the stock fan. However, if you are a road racer then you should

avoid the fans like the plague. Road racing Supras will overheat with

the twin electric fans. But otherwise you should go for it, they are a

nice modification that cleans up your engine bay and allows more room to

work on your engine.

I had them on my daily driver Supra for right at 4 years. My summer

temperatures reach as high as 41 degrees Celsius. I drive my daily

Supra about 20,000 miles a year so it sees all the extremes.

I have removed my Confidentiality notice from this email, you are

welcome to post my feedback if you so like.

So I'll see you in July, right? ;-)

Cheers,

Dusty

http://www.MVPmotorsports.com

Guest Terry S

Listen Paul, this is p1ssing me off now. I have an awful lot of respect for Dusty so this is not directed at him.

We all expressed opinions, mine based on my personal experience. Am I know supposed to go off and find someone else to say Dusty is wrong! It's completely childish.

IMHO electric fans, for a road car are pointless, even more so in a hard driven one.

See you didn't answer my question about AC head pressure!

I am gonna leave this as you seem to have too much time to waste.

bloody hell who changed topic title. i only put up this thread to show peters car. talk about going way off topic.

people do things different ways, you dont have to do everything by the book or buy expensive over priced branded names.

peter has built his car what looks like a dyno car for big numbers. others build for track use. others for drag racing. if you make your own choice what you want you have only yourself to blame if it does not work out. we all know cooling is a very big part to keep car cool and running safe.

make your own choice and be happy and safe.

dont think peters car will ever hit the track IMO

Originally posted by MONKEYmark

bloody hell who changed topic title. i only put up this thread to show peters car. talk about going way off topic.

Yeah I thought that was a bit rude - the thread wanderers should have started a new one elsewhere or left the title alone IMO.

Nice post anyway Mark, thanks for sharing it.

Guest Terry S

Mark, agree totally, and apologies

MCanny, yeah it was rude, but not like I posted a link to my own BBS in my signature or anything eh!:innocent:

We at Boost Logic built the entire vehicle from the ground up.

To clear up some arguments.

The reason why Mr. Peter Blach went with the electric fan setup was to clean up his engine bay. It was not for any other reason.

He was wanting to stick with the stock fan/radiator setup, but after a lot of convincing, i finally got him to go with the Fluidyne and electric fans due to the fact that it cleaned up his engine bay. I do not recommend the fluidyne/electric fan setup if you are going to be roadracing. The stock fluidyne/stock fan setup is better and more RELIABLE.

A comparison:

4 Row Greddy intercooler on stock radiator/electric fans. AC On. The car overheats on a 90F degree day sitting in traffic

4 Row Greddy intercooler on stock radiator/stock fan. AC On. Car does fine and the AC even cools decently on a 90F degree day sitting in traffic.

BTW Mark, we are going to be making a couple passes at the track soon:cool:

Originally posted by Kean

We at Boost Logic built the entire vehicle from the ground up.

To clear up some arguments.

The reason why Mr. Peter Blach went with the electric fan setup was to clean up his engine bay. It was not for any other reason.

He was wanting to stick with the stock fan/radiator setup, but after a lot of convincing, i finally got him to go with the Fluidyne and electric fans due to the fact that it cleaned up his engine bay. I do not recommend the fluidyne/electric fan setup if you are going to be roadracing. The stock fluidyne/stock fan setup is better and more RELIABLE.

A comparison:

4 Row Greddy intercooler on stock radiator/electric fans. AC On. The car overheats on a 90F degree day sitting in traffic

4 Row Greddy intercooler on stock radiator/stock fan. AC On. Car does fine and the AC even cools decently on a 90F degree day sitting in traffic.

BTW Mark, we are going to be making a couple passes at the track soon:cool:

hi kean you saying he is going to go get a 1/4 time with his big power car. seems to come across as he built it to get a highest hp record. hope he does well with it. my mates got the non bb gt42 turbo going on his skyline and it sounds amazing turbo. seen a few clips of a rb30 block with gt42 turbo and they are insane trying to keep car in a straight line.

have fun

Originally posted by Terry S

MCanny, yeah it was rude, but not like I posted a link to my own BBS in my signature or anything eh!:innocent:

It's a link to my website not a direct link to my BBS, what's wrong with that?

I happen to have a website that has a BBS on it - is there a rule that says I can't link to it as a result?

Do you feel that I should alter my website link so it saves readers a click and takes them to my (under development) Supra content?

It's not as if I'm trying to compete with this forum FFS, it's just something I threw together when I was sat at home redundant, hardly the beginnings of a plot for world domination.

If you want to single me out as the only person on here who can't link to their site then say the word and I'll remove the link http://www.megaboost.co.uk/vbb/images/smilies/extra/rolleyes2.gif

I trust, Paul, that Kean, Terry and Chris Wilson's (and Dusty's "Road racing Supras will overheat with

the twin electric fans." in your own post) opinion's that electric fans are not good enough for road racing, and that they are fitted for aesthetics over out right performance is satisfactory?