The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Electric Fans .......was BL turbo kit with 1331 crank hp

MONKEYmark

Guest Terry S
Originally posted by Paul Laing

Supraguy, i'm with you on this one, the Americans are years ahead and there big cars prove this, if electric fans are good enough for them in their heat, there good enough for me :)

Not that it's worth it on my stock twins like :)

Paul you have said some daft thing before but............ seriously, these cars are dyno cars, drag cars. Not daily 12k a year cars. Look at the Road Racers in the US. Most still run stock viscous fans, wonder why?

You may be lucky and never have a problem, great, but if you did.......... is it really worth the gamble for that tiny increase??

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Exactly, I bet you could remove the lot for a drag-only car, making 1500hp or whatever.

For a road Supra, the stock fan rules. It is the most reliable, pushes the most air and is not a drain on the alternator.

Paul, I would put Terry's experiences above those of a US dyno queen/strip car. Actual typical road use, and track use. The biggest tests of a cooling system.

Syed - stop being a kiss arse man! Jesus

Theres loads of cars running over 800bhp and there like ours, street cars! How many people use there supra at weekends, or have a second car?

I know theres a few people in this country with great knowledge but come on, Calder have to import a car with 1000bhp to make us compete! We really can't say anything until we produce some of the cars that Japan and the US have.

Paul

Proven wrong? By who exactly? Terry?

Nobodys proven anything, but Supra's running over 1000bhp on stock fans you do NOT see, thats a fact is it not?

Lets stick to facts, you show me a high powered car, over say 800 or 900bhp running a stock fan.

Paul

PS - I didn't know you had to be a technical expert when coming on this board Syed, i'm no mechanic but just give my opinions on what iv'e read or been told from people, some people even on here.

[rant]

Whilst going off slightly at a tangent I think some of you worship the yanks too much.

They only have the big power cars cause they can afford to run them, fuel prices etc make them much more affordable.

It's not a lack of knowledge in this country. After all we make/made ALL the Indycars for the US, Lola and Reynard dominated the series. Our engineers are the leaders in Formula 1. Including Ferrari - Ross Brawn and the Chief Designer Rory Byrne.

This country leads the way in motorsport, and in engine design, 90% of all commercial engines in the world have had input from UK firms.

With the right financial budget we have the skills to beat all.

[/rant]

Jason, I'm not saying electric fans are cr@p, so don't take offence. If you're happy that's great. But just be careful. Electric fans are ok but IMO they are not better and therefore not worth the extra cost.

Paul, stop slagging people off for having the same opinion as me and Terry, if you had some FACTS to back up your stance then maybe we'd listen but as per usual your just full of hot air. If the yanks all walked off a cliff I'm quite sure you'd be on here saying "hey look they all jumped, we should do it too!!!!" FFS...

Guest Terry S

Paul, as usaul you have completely missed the point. What are the fans worth BHP wise. Is it worth it?

BTW, if Nick is up for it, throw some C16 in my old Purple car, take it to thor, and run it at 30+ psi and it will easily make 800 bhp, oh stock fan too.

If you want examples of US cars with BIG bhp and stock fans i'll give them, but like I said, you've missed the point.....

Bhp wise, not much i guess, 10bhp?

Can you answer me this then? Why do cars where it's alot hotter use twin electric fans? It has to be because they cool better, not because of the bhp increase.

I havn't got electric fans, and won't be because i will only be having my car at Bpu. So the stock fan is perfect. And how often does our temp go above 25 degrees?

Paul

Guest Terry S

Alex, I have an awful lot of time for certain Americans with there Supras. Some like Kean, Mohd are so clued up it's unbelievable. Others, like some on SF are idiots, but we get them here too. The difference is that they love going to extremes, regardless of the cost, and the priorities are VERY different to most on here. Peters car is a prime example, greatly engineered, but completely unusable in that trim on the road IMHO, and it has 75bhp of spray, and the 1300 would NOT equate to UK crank bhp.

Guest Terry S

Bhp wise, not much i guess, 10bhp?

Can you answer me this then? Why do cars where it's alot hotter use twin electric fans? It has to be because they cool better, not because of the bhp increase.

I havn't got electric fans, and won't be because i will only be having my car at Bpu. So the stock fan is perfect. And how often does our temp go above 25 degrees?

Paul

Did you not undersatnd any of my previous posts!:twak: :banghead: :banghead:

Originally posted by Terry S

Alex, I have an awful lot of time for certain Americans with there Supras. Some like Kean, Mohd are so clued up it's unbelievable. Others, like some on SF are idiots, but we get them here too. The difference is that they love going to extremes, regardless of the cost, and the priorities are VERY different to most on here. Peters car is a prime example, greatly engineered, but completely unusable in that trim on the road IMHO, and it has 75bhp of spray, and the 1300 would NOT equate to UK crank bhp.

oi don't start on me! :) I was just pointing out that there seems to be too much hero worship because they have the time and money and interest to go that way. And that we're not useless in this country...just cause we don't have so many cars with completely insane/probably undriveable amounts of power.

I look forward to having a good look at Kean's work when Mr. C's package arrives! So where is it....I'm getting impatient! :)

Originally posted by Alex Holdroyd

:p Yeah ok...I AM F****** GRUMPY thanks to Paul "where are my turbo's?/I'm not a mechanic you know" Laing.

I'm not going to get into that thread now, but i'd owned the car for less than a week, and just wanted to know the exact whereabouts of the turbo's. Not where were they man :p

[rant]

Whilst going off slightly at a tangent I think some of you worship the yanks too much.

They only have the big power cars cause they can afford to run them, fuel prices etc make them much more affordable.

It's not a lack of knowledge in this country......

[/rant]

Actually, I dont agree Alex. I wouldnt call it worshiping, its just simple fact that they DO have more Supra tuning experience. Its nothing to do with gas prices, etc.. Its the simple fact people have been doing APU mods for years on many many many cars.

The UK surely has the resources and capability of doing the same. It just lacks experience. Look at the tuners in the US and look here. Not Formula 1 etc.. Supra tuners. The picking is pretty slim and most APU cars in the UK are not personal cars, but shop cars. Ie: JPS, Calder, Whiffin, etc.

While the UK is still caught up wasting time with hybrids (personal opinion), the US has single turbo Supes everywhere. Its all a matter of time and eventually the UK will catch up in Supra tuning experience.

*edited* to say this isnt directed at the Elec fan argument, but Supra tuning as a whole. :)

Guest Terry S

oi don't start on me! :) I was just pointing out that there seems to be too much hero worship because they have the time and money and interest to go that way. And that we're not useless in this country...just cause we don't have so many cars with completely insane/probably undriveable amounts of power.

I look forward to having a good look at Kean's work when Mr. C's package arrives! So where is it....I'm getting impatient! :)

wasn't starting on you mate in the slightest.

I will chase Kean. Big C's is the first due out with the delayed 3" DP's so hopefully it will be iminent.

Guest Terry S

Oviously not

obviously.......the bit where I said about data logging temps etc?

This is pointless now anyway.

SG - now that the dollar is so weak the no. of APU cars in the UK is going up very rapidly. As you well know - being one of them. I also think insurance is another reason why hybrids are so popular. I don't like Hybrids personally (would agree a small single is best) but it's just not been cost effective for the average owner in the UK until now.

Going back to the fans...

Being someone who has had both, stock and electric fans what do you feel you have gained. That you can prove? Do you have the CFM ratings for the fans?