Paul R

Originally posted by Tannhauser

That's the Royal 'we', presumably. :)

Is there any other kind?:p

I could be mistaken ........ its happened before!! ..twice!:p

I remember it as applied math........ but I see the x-over

and school was ages ago!

Originally posted by Darren Blake

Well they wil lbe linked, but stopping diatance is probably more relevant.

BTW, did you know that the stopping distances in The Highway Code are based on a deceleretion of only -6.5m/s squared? Hardly "state of the art."

Only if the deceleration is linear. If it bites hard then eases off there will be less time spent at a higher speed so a shorter distance than if there is a slow bite that builds up where more time will be spent travelling faster so more distance is covered in the same time.

Another example of this phenomina is where they do car vs plane tests. The recent Eurofighter vs Ferrari F1 - they both did 900m in almost exactly the same time but the plane was doing something like 100MPH more than the car.

Originally posted by Darren Blake

BTW, did you know that the stopping distances in The Highway Code are based on a deceleretion of only -6.5m/s squared? Hardly "state of the art."

Wow!....as old hat as the speed limits, then?

:p

Originally posted by Steve Cargill

Only if the deceleration is linear. If it bites hard then eases off there will be less time spent at a higher speed so a shorter distance than if there is a slow bite that builds up where more time will be spent travelling faster so more distance is covered in the same time.

True, but differentail equations were never my strong point, even at college let alone at 11:00 on a Sunday night and on the wrong side of a couple of pints :)

Not sure what the characteristic of a decelerating car is like. Linear or geometric? The linear equations should still work if you accept everything as an average, though. Good for a "ballpark" figure.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Timwildman

Especially if you think your driving a manual car, and put both feet on the pedal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by matt

Scooter ....... care to comment?

My violent left foot braking when test driving auto's is well documented already:D .............i'm sure i'll get used to it given time:innocent:

and as for all this Maths crap, Pythagoras, Archimedes it was all greek to me.......................

UK brakes, stock pads, Eagle F1 tyres just stomping on the pedal and using ABS I did 60-0 in 128 feet on two stops and then 133 of the third (the ABS kicked in more, possibly hotter disks so more bite or road surface change)

This depends a lot on the road surface, type of tarmac and dirt.

I think the J spec will probably stop just as well, providing it has good pads on it. Wasn't there a big discussion a litte while ago where the UK brakes come into there own at higher speeds and when used harder but in a normal straight stop there is practically no difference?