The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why not LPG conversion?

Guest wobblybox

yes i do cos when that happens the world becomes a blur and any car in front rapidly becomes a dot in the rear view mirror, each to his own i suppose

I agree, there's nothing quite like 'booting it', but 40 mpg when not booting it (trundling to work and packed dc's and motorways) would be really useful (for me[GRIN][/GRIN]). It does sound a bit sad though, I'll admit!!

Like you said, each to his own.

LPG is a cleaner burning fuel, that's why the Goverment don't tax it highly. Problem is by the time it catches on and lots of people have switched to using it, what's to stop them taxing it the same as petrol??

It burns a lot cleaner and as such reduces engine wear (no bore washing caused by neat fuel hitting the cylinder walls and washing the oil off during cold start).

It completely burns so there is very little carbon buildup in the engine.

As it burns so completely the engine oil stays clean for a lot longer, so oil doesn't need changing as often. My Jag would go for 30 to 40K miles and the oil would still be cleaner than running on petrol for a couple of thousand miles.

LPG is around 105 to 110 octane!! Performance does not need to be lower than on petrol. Self adapting knock control should compensate for any potential for lower perfomance when running on gas.

A port injection system with low pressure gas injectors will give the same performance and MPG as a petrol system and will not be a problem with turbos as long as the boost pressure isn't too high. This is because the injection of the gas relies on the pressure of the liquified gas in the tank. The pressure difference between the tank and the inlet manifold must be positive.

Space need not be a problem if a toroidal tank is used in the spare wheel well. This would hold about 80 litres.

Also installation isn't difficult, but the system will need to be checked and certified by an approved installer then commisioned & tuned by them.

The control systems usually use adaptive learning, so tuning is only basic during comissioning.

And the best thing..... you can buy a small pump and buy propane in 90Kg cylinders to fill your car from home, so no more trips to petrol stations are needed. Its also 35p a litre !!

My mates Dad swears by LPG, he has a Toyota Harrier which is LPG (I've drove this) and he used to have a Lexus GS300 which was LPG too. He's just bought an Aristo which he will be converting to LPG, when he does I will have a drive to see what the difference is like. He reckons his GS300 was just as quick when he went LPG but who knows?

I drove the Harrier for a weekend once and it was piss slow but had nothing to compare it to.

no mate, as i have progressed through various cars up to my present 510 rwhp supe i have had to accept that performance comes at a cost namely when you plant your right foot you can watch the fuel gauge going down, this to me is what supras are about not posing in an NA with a body kit pretending your in a fast car and not daring give it some stick cos your worried about your MPG:p

Posing in an NA, pretending its a fast car !!!

Not at all the fact that my N/A is the most reliable daily drive car i have ever owned, or that it is the easiest to service car i have ever owned with my favourite interior and cokpit with some amzing looks to boot and decent performance, not everyone is after the same thing in a car like smashing it up whilst lookin at dots in your rear view mirror ;)

some of us cant afford 510 horses!...supras arent expensive to buy so its unsurprising that people buy n/a's and cant really afford to bomb it all the time. im on apprenticeship wages. obviously if i had more money i would get a TT, which i imagine is the same story for everyone.

Guest wobblybox
not being funny, but what the f**k is the point of buying a car like a 3 litre supra then crying about the fuel consumption and looking at an LPG conversion, if that is your perogative my wife has a 1.3 yaris that would go from here to Australia on a tank of petrol;) , my point is the supra was built as a no compromise performance car (well the TT was) not a 45 mpg urban runaround :rolleyes:

Kinda hard to argue with that sorta logic :looney:

Theres quite a few websites about http://www.fuelture.com shows a savings calculator. A 14000 miles P/A driver would be spending £34 per week at 32mpg on petrol, £29 at 40 mpg on diesel and £18 per week on LPG at 26 mpg. So if i'm right a 32 mpg driver would expect 26 mpg on LPG would that equate to around 17 MPG on LPG if a N/A Supra is doing around 24 MPG on petrol??

Still sounds like a bargain, I live in N Ireland and we recently got this lectrisity stuff and its working out well could LPG be the same??

limited on installers over here could/would anyone negotiate a club discount if the facts where sorted and a few potential takers came forward?

The Supra is a fantastic looking car and the thought of using it everyday and still having enough money to have the food or fags quandry is a tempting option.

Kinda hard to argue with that sorta logic :looney:

Theres quite a few websites about http://www.fuelture.com shows a savings calculator. A 14000 miles P/A driver would be spending £34 per week at 32mpg on petrol, £29 at 40 mpg on diesel and £18 per week on LPG at 26 mpg. So if i'm right a 32 mpg driver would expect 26 mpg on LPG would that equate to around 17 MPG on LPG if a N/A Supra is doing around 24 MPG on petrol??

Still sounds like a bargain, I live in N Ireland and we recently got this lectrisity stuff and its working out well could LPG be the same??

limited on installers over here could/would anyone negotiate a club discount if the facts where sorted and a few potential takers came forward?

The Supra is a fantastic looking car and the thought of using it everyday and still having enough money to have the food or fags quandry is a tempting option.

IF i remember correctly (and you'll have to bear with me on this one - its been a long weekend!) mkivstore converted an NA to run on lpg - maybe worth speaking to martin :D