The mkiv Supra Owners Club

fmic on an n/a

Dave

I too have devised a different intake system and am pleased how it performs.

Last time I was at Santa Pod I bought a huge conical filter, cant remeber what make it was, but it was really big in comparison to the HKS and usual universal stuff you see at shows etc.

I then connected this direct to the throttle housing using a length of flexible ally ventilator tube about 100mm in diameter. Had to make up a sleeve to increase the diameter of the throttle housing to provide a good seal to the tube, and used a rubber flange from a crappy universal filter I had lying around which was fitted to my old Bmw 635.

The tube is nice and shiny and therefore should reflect the heat pretty well, although I do intend to make up a heat sheild also when time permits. The filter itself sits where the oriiginal air box used to live and that has cold air blown directly into the cone part from the air inlet tube that used to feed the lower intake on the original air box. Also I have left the cold air intake box from just above the rad in place and extend the tube from this so it also blows cold air over the main part of the filter. TBH I dont think it has increased power, but it does seem to have made a difference to the overall power range and torque. It seems to have much more pulling power between 3500 and 5000 rpm than before. Interestingly my son's scooby was off the road and he borrowed the Supra to get to work (as he does often) and he called me when he got to work to find out what I had done to it as he noticed the difference straight away. He always complained that after driving his scooby mine seemed slow and gutless until he hit 5K+. So it wasnt just me who thought it was better. Tomorrow I have mine booked in for full decat and a bespoke S/S exhaust so looking foward to that.

Most things stay with a std scooby while its on the move.. though they very quick off the mark

Our RX8 stays and spanks std scoobies on the move

While they are on and off boost , we are sitting at 9500rpm beep and into the next gear and we are gone......... ahhhh love that rotary

I too have devised a different intake system and am pleased how it performs.

Last time I was at Santa Pod I bought a huge conical filter, cant remeber what make it was, but it was really big in comparison to the HKS and usual universal stuff you see at shows etc.

I then connected this direct to the throttle housing using a length of flexible ally ventilator tube about 100mm in diameter. Had to make up a sleeve to increase the diameter of the throttle housing to provide a good seal to the tube, and used a rubber flange from a crappy universal filter I had lying around which was fitted to my old Bmw 635.

The tube is nice and shiny and therefore should reflect the heat pretty well, although I do intend to make up a heat sheild also when time permits. The filter itself sits where the oriiginal air box used to live and that has cold air blown directly into the cone part from the air inlet tube that used to feed the lower intake on the original air box. Also I have left the cold air intake box from just above the rad in place and extend the tube from this so it also blows cold air over the main part of the filter. TBH I dont think it has increased power, but it does seem to have made a difference to the overall power range and torque. It seems to have much more pulling power between 3500 and 5000 rpm than before. Interestingly my son's scooby was off the road and he borrowed the Supra to get to work (as he does often) and he called me when he got to work to find out what I had done to it as he noticed the difference straight away. He always complained that after driving his scooby mine seemed slow and gutless until he hit 5K+. So it wasnt just me who thought it was better. Tomorrow I have mine booked in for full decat and a bespoke S/S exhaust so looking foward to that.

The HKS kit allows you to refit the Air charge sensor..

This is important as your MPG and general running will be awful,

That sensor is very important beleive it or not ...

I'm trying to find someone who makes a polished pipe ( to replace whats left of the standard plastic pipe to the throttle housing) i've been told as it has those resornator baffle boxes etc it is quite restrictive .. and looks awful ,

But it might be a custom job as you need outlets for the 2x vac pipes

Something that looks like this?? (all vac pipes & sensor still in place :))

36 MPG? Are you serious?

Great isn't it...

I use a mpg / litre converter on the net,

Makes Supra ownership just that little bit more enjoyable,

I was thinking of going TT , But with running costs like that and a 6 sec Supra as it is... I think i'll wait a little bit longer.

Well set up and maintained car and correct tyre pressures helps...

Worked out my Supra does 12 mpg more on a long run than the other halfs RX8 ( Best she ever gets is 24 on a long run) thats nearly half her consumption again .

So long runs are usually in mine, although she finds the Supra cramped and uncomfortable compared to her car.. so usually a debate arises on whos car we take... LOL !!!

Wow!!!

Thats just what i want, that looks fantastic,

Did you make it or was it done for you ?

Is the intake roar louder just out of interest ...

Cheers mate - glad you approve:)

I did all the fitting - most of the parts were supplied by Colsoop (fixings, stainless allen bolts by Zap), paintwork is mine though:)

Induction noise is a fair bit louder at higher revs :) :)

Cheers mate - glad you approve:)

I did all the fitting - most of the parts were supplied by Colsoop (fixings, stainless allen bolts by Zap), paintwork is mine though:)

Induction noise is a fair bit louder at higher revs :) :)

Shame no one makes a kit or has by now (theres a thought for someone??)

Plenty would buy them if the price was right i'm sure

looks great

Was it just buying the correct pipes etc and build your own,

How did you sort the vac pipes ?

very impressed looks like a purchased kit

Shame no one makes a kit or has by now (theres a thought??)

Plenty would buy them if the price was right i'm sure

looks great

Was it just buying the correct pipes etc and build your own,

How did you sort the vac pipes ?

very impressed looks like a purchased kit

Contact colsoop, Gaz Walker (Envy) Paul E (Miami GT), all traders on here and I'm sure one of them will have what you need.

Contact colsoop, Gaz Walker (Envy) Paul E (Miami GT), all traders on here and I'm sure one of them will have what you need.

Thanks will do,

Could do one easily, its the vac pipes that got me a bit stumped unless i had stubs actually Ally welded ontothe pipes,

We have a metalwork company that does all our stuff at work and i'm on frendily terms with them ( had stainless bits made for the house etc)

I took the old vac pipe (the one that leads to inside the cam belt cover) and cut the stub out of the original rubber pipework, then drilled into the Apexi hardpipe and glued the stub in from the inside. The ally pipework I bought off ebay and the samco I got from http://www.rallydesigns.co.uk. The only other pipe was the crank breather pipe - I just bunged about 2" of samco onto the cam cover spigot and stuck a Piper X filter on the end :) :)

I took the old vac pipe (the one that leads to inside the cam belt cover) and cut the stub out of the original rubber pipework, then drilled into the Apexi hardpipe and glued the stub in from the inside. The ally pipework I bought off ebay and the samco I got from http://www.rallydesigns.co.uk. The only other pipe was the crank breather pipe - I just bunged about 2" of samco onto the cam cover spigot and stuck a Piper X filter on the end :) :)

I have a 3rd vac pipe (tiny) but i think that maybe because i have a Vac gauge in the A pillar pods

Defo worth me looking into do this, as the results you have produced look fantastic

Maybe worth me getting my metal work guy to make me up a one peice pipe weld on my stubs and then i'd just need the silicone couplers each end to join to throttle housing and Air filter on the other end,

mmmm food for thought