The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What is happening with the sup prices ??

supraaaaaaaaaa

Trader auctions mate, seen a couple go for less than £2k. Not saying they're any good mind you!

I think my mate pays £2500 in Japan for a NA then has all the other fees to get it here Tax etc etc

I think he said to make it worth while he'd not sell one for under £4k

Same with FTO he pays about £1500 over there but over here needs to get a min of £3500 to make it worth while

Scary as only a few years ago FTO's were in the £6k even £7k bracket

You can buy them now ( previous imports in UK now being privatley sold) for £2500 ..

Trouble is Russia is pushing all the prices up in Japn Auctions

So low profits now for UK importers

Trader auctions mate, seen a couple go for less than £2k. Not saying they're any good mind you!

Just to add - There's no way I'd own a Supra if the NA was the only model produced. TT's are worth paying double or triple money for

Not everyone wants the TT but still loves the Supra

I'm not bothered if i had a TT or NA as I just love the look of the Supra (although its not a great every day driver)

I was there in 96 at a Motor show my mate was about to buy a TT from Toyota and they said thats it guys no more will becoming to the UK guys ...

At the time he had a Celica GT4 (he was one of the first in 95 to have a GT4 in the UK , they were £36k back then )

You will always get different versions like the FTO and FTO Mivec even a 1800 FTO ( But i'd never own one) But that means theres a FTO for everyone

I'd say the TT was worth a few grand tops maybe above a NA if we were talking standard specs mind you.

Surely you don't just own a Supra because it has Turbos, surely it must be a looks thing too

Surely you don't just own a Supra because it has Turbos, surely it must be a looks thing too

Actually I only own a Supra because of the immensive performance (and future potential). If it could only deliver stock TT performance I would never have bought it. Probably would now own a TVR Cerberra or classic stang if looks were the goals :)

You also have to remember that winter is coming, I would imagine people that are thinking of sellin their supes would be doing it now so they don't have to go another winter with it - as its not exactly the best handling car in the uk winter.

Winter is great! Sure you can't use the power so much, but it's such huge fun getting the back end out with a slight throttle blip. I love driving the supe in wet/slippery conditions :D

Very true....What about when the Soop V comes out....raise again? :search:

Its not going to happen anytime soon ;)

So long as you haven't bought the car as an investment and are planning to keep for a long time like myself it shouldn't really bother you.Just think of all the money people lose on having a brand new car for a couple of years then are daft enough to go through it all again.

Very good point Sir!!
/vbb/images/smilies/bbcode_grin.gif

Five years ago I paid £15k for a '93 TT Aerotop with around 45,000 miles on it.

Three years ago I pxed it against my current '98 TT VVTI tip.

I got close to £14k px for the Aero which had done close to 80,000 miles by then, and I paid £23k for mine @ 4,500 miles.

No idea what its worth now.

Would I pay £20k plus again if a 2001 / 2002 TT VVTI came in tomorrow, with extremely low miles and legally registered ?

Hang on, I'll ask the wife.

She says yes.

It's nothing to do with the car's getting old. What percentage of it's original price would a 911 be nowadays? A lot more than the Supra.

The problem is people are selling them too cheaply as they want to get rid of them quickly.

If everyone suddenly said, my car is worth £2K more than it was yesterday and didn't let it sell for less, then the value of everyone's car suddenly goes up by £2K.

The downside for traders is that they would sell less of them, so it's in their interest to keep the values at a level where they can shift car's.

There would be a balance point though where the increase in value would equal the profit they're losing from not shifting the number of cars they were. If they sold them for more than this value they would lose money through not making enough sales. If they sell below this value then they're throwing money away, and devaluing all of our cars.

Simple. eh?

It's nothing to do with the car's getting old. What percentage of it's original price would a 911 be nowadays? A lot more than the Supra.

The problem is people are selling them too cheaply as they want to get rid of them quickly.

If everyone suddenly said, my car is worth £2K more than it was yesterday and didn't let it sell for less, then the value of everyone's car suddenly goes up by £2K.

The downside for traders is that they would sell less of them, so it's in their interest to keep the values at a level where they can shift car's.

There would be a balance point though where the increase in value would equal the profit they're losing from not shifting the number of cars they were. If they sold them for more than this value they would lose money through not making enough sales. If they sell below this value then they're throwing money away, and devaluing all of our cars.

Simple. eh?

Good point,

A i mentioned though all Imports in general are getting cheaper, partly due to age and with prices as you say being set lower,

Give you an example of the heady days of buying and selling imports from the late ninetes to date

My mate starting importing mid to late nineties,

He's now 42 living in Spain , retired and with a 50 ft cruiser.. oh and did I mention a few million in the bank!!! and all this was buying cheap Japan , properly converting / SVA etc ec and maikng huge profits on the cars, but we all wanted them as it was something new,

The market sadly is now saturated with rubbish as everyone thinks they are an importer,

This has pushed the prices down as for every decent 6k supra for example there are 10x 4k rubbish Supras,

I think the TT in standard stock form will become a valuable future investment, but modding / BPU etc you would be devaluating it, Its just you that wants the extra performance and is willing to part with so much money

But to be of value it has to be stanadrd and original, this applies to most cars that become a classic

Cosworths etc are a typical example, they are a modern day classic that enthuiasts will pay a premuim for but that is for original spec, Tuned version don't fetch the prices

Quite funny when you think about it, in the future enthuiasts will be busy searching for all original parts to put back on our Supras to make it Concorse .

But a 911 has more residual value any way (because of what it is) and would propbable have cost more than a Supra new anyway.

tricky thread but imo you get what you pay fori have sold tt 6 speed on this forum from 8k to 13k.

with the more expensive the better,me and paul whiifin sell them all the time from 10k to 12k.

there is a lot of rubbish out there now and imho the best ones are in auction in jp and they are getting expensive to buy am sure paul whiffin will aslo vouch for that and the only way we can keep the quality is to buy top cars.

tricky thread but imo you get what you pay fori have sold tt 6 speed on this forum from 8k to 13k.

with the more expensive the better,me and paul whiifin sell them all the time from 10k to 12k.

there is a lot of rubbish out there now and imho the best ones are in auction in jp and they are getting expensive to buy am sure paul whiffin will aslo vouch for that and the only way we can keep the quality is to buy top cars.

oh i didnt mean the import prices have been crashing more the uk prices of cars all ready registerd !!

how late did the supe go onto anyway i thought it was only 2000 ish

But a 911 has more residual value any way (because of what it is) and would propbable have cost more than a Supra new anyway.

What defines the residual value though? If all the 911 owners decided to flog them off £2K cheaper to get rid of them quicker, then the residual value of a 911 would have just dropped by £2K.

In '93 a Supe cost £42 odd. About the same as a 911 at the time? (Don't know just guessing)

So are you saying that the average price of an import Supe is about to get more expensive, as the only way you can get quality cars (and that is all you want to deal in as the quality of the car reflects your reputation?) is to pay more than you would have for the same car say this time 2 years ago? So really, we want more shit cars to be in auction in japan to pump up the price of the decent ones that will get imported?!

So are you saying that the average price of an import Supe is about to get more expensive, as the only way you can get quality cars (and that is all you want to deal in as the quality of the car reflects your reputation?) is to pay more than you would have for the same car say this time 2 years ago? So really, we want more shit cars to be in auction in japan to pump up the price of the decent ones that will get imported?!

nope what i mean is the pirces in jp is not dropping for high quality cars only the uk prices are and thats due to the poorer ones not being sold in jp and imported for cost and sold at uk auctions then ebay etc etc or other importers getting crap.

like my thread the other day 1.98mill for a 96 supra thats nearly 10k and somebody said i will offer you 9k for it when 10k doesnt even get the car out of the showroom.

good cars will always fetch good money simple really and dogs will be dogs and if buyers panicks they sell cheap to compete with ebay etc when there is no need, if your car is worth 10k or 12k you will get the sale regardless of what ebay list although it does make it harder for us to compete.

imo the good supras will be hard to find pre 96 in few years time