The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Performance Drop over 6krpm

Alex

The FMIC is, frankly, a LOT of money to a lot of people.

I'm not doubting it's effectiveness, bt just saying that to buy and install it's a high-priced piece of kit.     Would anyone car to say exactly what the cost of buying/installing an FMIC is ?   i.e. ALL in ??

not cheap........

Personally i've been running a total de-at UK spec with NUR-spec exhaust and bleed-valve at 1.2 bar for 6 months and it's been great.    not saying an FMIC wouldn't be beneficial but you can get paranoid about these things I think.

Quote: from Doughie on 10:16 pm on Oct. 2, 2001[br]Would anyone car to say exactly what the cost of buying/installing an FMIC is ?

I think my "S" type all in, has come to about £900. I agree it's not cheap :(

I accept your point about paranoia. I am however prepared to err on the side of caution, especially as I plan on doing a fair few track days and I will be running the hybrids.

Gavin

that's fair comment Gav.

If you're getting Hybrids installed (as we speak) then it makes sense to get an FMIC in taht circumstance.      Certainly i fi iwas getting hybrids, then the FMIC has got to be a part of the package for sure.

I'm just questioning the absolute validity of doing an FMIC when you've got *stock* turbos etc.   never a *bad* thing, (apart from increased lag) but with stock gear, the downsides (cost, turbo lag) may outweigh the extra security, potentially.      

but i'm no expert.    All IMHO.

Guest Martin F

I know we are getting a little off subject here, but if you are suffering from extra lag, due to say an FMIC, can it be negated by turning the gain up on a boost controller, i.e. DSBC ??

Anybody done this ??

Turning the boost up would introduce more lag, technically.  The previous level of boost would be acheived in the same time as before, but the new target boost would take a bit longer to acheive, ergo, more perceived lag.

So basically, no.  Turning up the boost would just generate more boost.  More boost is caused by the turbos spinning faster, and they spin up at the same speed regardless of target boost level.

-Ian

Guest Martin F

Errrr Ian, i didn't say turn up the ratio, (ratio of overal boost) i said gain, i.e. how quickly you  get to maximum boost.

Now go to the back of the class and read that in silence :biggrin:

(Edited by Martin F at 3:43 pm on Oct. 3, 2001)

Quote: from Martin F on 3:42 pm on Oct. 3, 2001[br]Errrr Ian, i didn't say turn up the ratio, (ratio of overal boost) i said gain, i.e. how quickly you  get to maximum boost.

Now go to the back of the class and read that in silence :biggrin:

(Edited by Martin F at 3:43 pm on Oct. 3, 2001)

Ah, I read what I thought I read, not what I read.  I thought that maximum boost was achieved in a certain time no matter what, a function of turbine efficiency and exhaust gas flow speed and volume.  How do you make it spin up faster with a boost controller?

And what isn't it set at maximum already?  :)

-Ian

Guest Martin F

Hmmmm you could be right, in that i guess that you can only spool the turbo's up in a certain amount of time, due to their physical limits.

But at the same time the DSBC has two parameters, gain and ratio described as being the speed boost is built up and the final value of maximum boost respectively. Therefore i assumed (maybe wrongly) that by increasing the gain you could defeat any lag introduced into the system.

The only problem with increasing the gain too much is that you can start seeing very high boost spikes.

I wonder whether our resident expert has any opinions ???