The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How to import a 2002 Supra to the UK and register it!

Lucifer

mmm, my sister lives in NYC- I wonder if i could export a 2002 from Japan to NYC, let her use it for a year, bring it back and keep it in her name for a year, then transer it to my name?

It's easier just to buy a car already here...

Or if you have family in Ireland, we dont have that issue here.

https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showVRT

but then what are the disadvantages of driving an Irish registered car? Insurance probably won't like it. You'll still have the UK registration issues I'd have thought coming from Ireland?

Well put in it a garage in japan and pay through the eyeballs so. Like the whole point of thread was started for if you own it abroad for 12 months u can bring it in.

If the car has been registered for at least 12 months in the contry of origin in your name you can import it with no issues whatso ever.

Or if you have family in Ireland, we dont have that issue here.

https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showVRT

Depends !! Southern Ireland its easy to import into , but basically if your gonna Import to england from southern Ireland the same rules apply, Mind you the amount of tax you pay importing to southern Ireland is huge :( Northern Ireland is exactly the same as the UK , ESVA still applies :)

V

Depends !! Southern Ireland its easy to import into , but basically if your gonna Import to england from southern Ireland the same rules apply, Mind you the amount of tax you pay importing to southern Ireland is huge :( Northern Ireland is exactly the same as the UK , ESVA still applies :)

V

Compare that price to storing it in japan for 12 months tho, may work out cheaper and if you have family here you will feel better than leaving a 10k car with strangers.

Ill point out this again

If the car has been registered for at least 12 months in the contry of origin in your name you can import it with no issues whatso ever.

Bring it from R.O.I to uk not an issue after 12 months (going by lucifiers law :D)

Personally I just couldnt wait 12 months so Id go for the highest year without having to do any of this and spend the change on some nice mods :D

Chris, you've missed my point.

What I was saying is if you import it and reg in Ireland, then have it registered for 12months in ROI to some address - can you still drive it over here?

I guess you'd have to have Irish insurance too? That would probably have to be a special policy to allow driving in the EU.

The upshot is that you could import to ROI, get it on the road there but drive it in the UK. Maybe?

As for Martins quote that you keep reposting - It's not exactly " no issues whatso ever" for the reasons that Vanessa pointed out.

Chris, you've missed my point.

What I was saying is if you import it and reg in Ireland, then have it registered for 12months in ROI to some address - can you still drive it over here?

I guess you'd have to have Irish insurance too? That would probably have to be a special policy to allow driving in the EU.

The upshot is that you could import to ROI, get it on the road there but drive it in the UK. Maybe?

As for Martins quote that you keep reposting - It's not exactly " no issues whatso ever" for the reasons that Vanessa pointed out.

Ah ok, yes as far as I know u can have it for 3 months from the date it entered the country on the Irish plates (ferry ticket is accepted as proof).

Same goes for us here, also if we buy a car in the uk while living there for more than six months with proof of address, you can import it with no charge (no vrt) but you cannot sell it for 12 months. Insurance company covered me with the uk reg.

I had mine on uk plates here for 7-8 months, before I eventually got quizzed by police. They gave me 1 week to sort out the import.

Tax here being 1100 for the year it saved me 800 ish euro

how come they wanted 14k of me when I was to bring mine over Chris?

the car been in my name for over 12 months and I have a bank account over in hong kong and it is active, can have statements print out for proof.

realisticaly I'm over here all the time, but how would they know once I have bank statements and phone bills in my name

I had mine on uk plates here for 7-8 months, before I eventually got quizzed by police. They gave me 1 week to sort out the import.

that happened to me few years ago with the delsol, only had it on UK plate for like a month

how come they wanted 14k of me when I was to bring mine over Chris?

the car been in my name for over 12 months and I have a bank account over in hong kong and it is active, can have statements print out for proof.

realisticaly I'm over here all the time, but how would they know once I have bank statements and phone bills in my name

that happened to me few years ago with the delsol, only had it on UK plate for like a month

Cos you didnt declare it that way probably. If you own it for 6+ months abroad and have lived there for 6+ months you can import it no charge, this is the VRT charge, VAT is unavoidable, as its outside the EU.