The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suspension Replacement

GavinL

Quote: from Doughie on 9:39 am on Oct. 15, 2001[br]Looking at the two anti-roll bar options from TRD :

One +27% all round,  one +50% at the back.

I would not advise personally going for the "+50% rear only" option as increasing rear anti-roll stiffness has the effect, (certainly in race cars), of *increasing* oversteer (or conversely, decreasing understeer).

It sounds counter-intuitive, but if the Supra responds in the same way racing cars react by stiffening the rear only then you may get more oversteer, and this is not what you want on a powerful car like the Supra !

The boys on US list were looking into getting +43% front bar made up to compliment the +53% rear. They were suffering oversteer problems as you suggest.

I understand that the stock anti-roll bars are hollow, if that is the case they may well beef up the tube thickness internally, keep the same overall diameter and retain use of the original bushes. I will try and clarify this with MVP Motorsports when I contact them.

Yes they are hollow, and the whiteline ones are SOLID

Quote: from HardHead42 on 7:50 pm on Oct. 15, 2001[br]

I understand that the stock anti-roll bars are hollow, if that is the case they may well beef up the tube thickness internally, keep the same overall diameter and retain use of the original bushes. I will try and clarify this with MVP Motorsports when I contact them.

Yes they are hollow, and the whiteline ones are SOLID

S'cuse me Rich but there was a point higher up regarding what comes with the Whiteline kit I was expecting you to answer.

Gavin, the main reason rubber bushes are fitted to cars is to try to reduce the noise transmitted from the road, engine, etc. but you don't get something for nothing. The ideal connection is solid everything but that will rattle your teeth out, so you compromise. The moment you fit a rubber joint in the suspension you get changes in geometry every time something moves, i.e., over bumps, when braking and just general flexing. Therefore the more solid you make your rubber bits, the better it performs and the more noise is transmitted to the bodywork.

I was interested in the stock+27%, the +50% seems ridiculously stiff for road use and matched with a +27% front, it's going off on the first bend; Yeuch.

S'cuse me Rich but there was a point higher up regarding what comes with the Whiteline kit I was expecting you to answer.

Missed it, OK whiteline kit includes

4 springs

4 Koni (rate) adjustable Dampers (moveable platforms for hight adjustment)

front anti-rollbar 30mm 50% uprated (adjustable, 2 position)

front lower rear arm bushes, and front lower front arm bushes (makes the steering more direct) (urethane)

front anti-roll bar bushes (urethane)

front drop links (very beefy) (urethane bushes)

rear anti roll bar 20mm 30% uprated (adjustable 3 position)

rear anti roll bar bushes (urethane)

you use the standard rear drop links but I think you can get uprated ones seperately.

Interestingly, I was looking at the Fensport site (TRD) and they're starting to do a full set of Polyurethane bushes for the JZA80.

They've got both Koni and KYB shocks, springs, oh the works, and at what seems on the face of it, quite reasonable prices.

Guess what's just gone on to *my* shopping list?

*pardon*, *what*, you'll have to speak up, the tyre noise has made me deaf :)

Quote: from Paul Booth on 7:19 am on Oct. 16, 2001[br]

Interestingly, I was looking at the Fensport site (TRD) and they're starting to do a full set of Polyurethane bushes for the JZA80.

They've got both Koni and KYB shocks, springs, oh the works, and at what seems on the face of it, quite reasonable prices.

I have asked them for a quote on the TRD 27% anti-roll bars.

regards............

I think I have those poly bushes, and I know I have Ohlins suspension (no-one has discussed the option of fitting these?) and the tyre noise is rather loud, and the ride is the hardest I've ever experienced, but the handling is fantastic!  Even over scabrous Norfolk roads, there is enough give in the suspension to avoid bump steering and too much tramlining, I think it was set up spot on - any harder would be over the top.

Dunno if the roll bars were uprated, I must ask, after the earlier stiffer suspension vs uprated rollbar rant.

-Ian

Quote: from Ian C on 4:21 pm on Oct. 16, 2001[br]

I think I have those poly bushes, and I know I have Ohlins suspension (no-one has discussed the option of fitting these?) and the tyre noise is rather loud, and the ride is the hardest I've ever experienced, but the handling is fantastic!  Even over scabrous Norfolk roads, there is enough give in the suspension to avoid bump steering and too much tramlining, I think it was set up spot on - any harder would be over the top.

Dunno if the roll bars were uprated, I must ask, after the earlier stiffer suspension vs uprated rollbar rant.

-Ian

I believe your car has the GREX/TRUST uprated antiroll bars, pretty sure that's what Paul said to me when he had it.

If I remember correctly the Ohlins were from Sweden rather than Japan and were around the 5K mark probably why people arn't considering them. :)

Rich

Quote: from HardHead42 on 4:39 pm on Oct. 16, 2001[br]
Quote: from Ian C on 4:21 pm on Oct. 16, 2001[br]

-Ian

I believe your car has the GREX/TRUST uprated antiroll bars, pretty sure that's what Paul said to me when he had it.

If I remember correctly the Ohlins were from Sweden rather than Japan and were around the 5K mark probably why people arn't considering them. :)

Rich

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-five thousand? F-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-flipping heck. It'd better be good. Oh yeah, that's right you said it was :)

Quote: from Doughie on 8:30 pm on Oct. 16, 2001[br]Ohlins gear is the "McLaren" of the suspension world.

very very expensive but very high quality (as you would hope...)

I believe you can get an Ohlins kit for about 3K from Japan but isn't the spec that PW wanted at the time.

TRD anti-sway bar kit - quotes from Supraforums chaps:

Quote:

The kit reduces body roll slightly and didn't noticeably hurt ride quality. I'd recommend it.

It comes with new sliding-type mount bushings, and re-uses the stock end links.

Quote:

Be sure to lube the bushings properly and be ready for it to

squeek some till the bushings get set good.

regards..............

Just a little note to say that I've just fitted some KYB AGX adjustable shocks over some Eibach springs.

The ride is much lower and the look of the car is great but driving is more tiring. The ride is harder even on the soft setting but the car really sticks to the road now.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/peter.betts/supra/TechTips/kyb1.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/peter.betts/supra/TechTips/kyb2.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/peter.betts/supra/TechTips/kyb3.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/peter.betts/supra/TechTips/kyb4.jpg

Take your pick.

Pete

Quote: from TRL Performance on 8:14 am on Oct. 22, 2001[br]Just a little note to say that I've just fitted some KYB AGX adjustable shocks over some Eibach springs.

The ride is much lower and the look of the car is great but driving is more tiring. The ride is harder even on the soft setting but the car really sticks to the road now.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/peter.betts/supra/TechTips/kyb1.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/peter.betts/supra/TechTips/kyb2.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/peter.betts/supra/TechTips/kyb3.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/peter.betts/supra/TechTips/kyb4.jpg

Take your pick.

Pete

Forgot to ask Pete, are your shocks the ones TRD (Fensport) are advertising as 'self adjustable'?

Note that KYB AGX's are NOT available in the UK so any dealer advertising adjustable KYB shocks mean the standard gas adjustable.

These differ in price and method of adjustment.

i.e. the AGX's are adjustable via a small screw in the top of the strut.

How much for the KYB's in total?

Price..  £115 each ....total =£460.......

N.B ..Koni adjustables(Fensport) £118 each  ..total =£472 and these need to

be removed from the car to be adjusted.....

The other KYB adjustables come from places like Fensport known as "self adjusting shocks", (Gas-A-Just)

£55 each.....They dont have any adjustment on them,and the ride was

crap on Darrell's car......

The KYB AGX shocks have the dial on the top of the shock to alter the

damping force.Check www.kyb.com/shocks2.html  for more info....

Kayaba UK dont stock KYB AGX shocks ,only available from japan

or the US..

Regards

Pete