The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Jacking up

GavinL

Hi....

I am planning on painting my brake calipers now the dark winter nights are approaching.

I don't fancy using the stock jack, too much like hard work so I had my eye on a cheap 2 ton trolley jack and axel stands from my local Argos/Index shop.

As beginner in such matters can anyone give advise on using both these items without damaging the car?

Thanks as always..............

Quote: from GavinL on 7:21 pm on Oct. 21, 2001[br]Hi....

I am planning on painting my brake calipers now the dark winter nights are approaching.

I don't fancy using the stock jack, too much like hard work so I had my eye on a cheap 2 ton trolley jack and axel stands from my local Argos/Index shop.

As beginner in such matters can anyone give advise on using both these items without damaging the car?

Thanks as always..............

I'm saying nothing, I bend things when I do it.

Wasn't it you who wanted the switch blank plate I just took all the way to MK and back?

Guest Martin F

Gavin

You can use those cheaper jacks, but without a spreader plate or a decent hardwood block you will dent the chassis rail.

I think a jack with a larger head\cup would stand less chance of denting the rail, but these are normally quite a bit more expensive.

My advice would be to use the stock one, yes it's a PITA but it stands little chance of damaging your car and the added benefit is that it builds up your arm muscles!!!!!!

Quote: from Ian C on 9:33 pm on Oct. 21, 2001[br]Why, Mr. Booth, you do look like your Avatar!

Ahem.  A 2 ton trolley jack will do, but balance a bit o wood on top to stop it from marking the chassis.  Getting the trolley jack under the Supra is another matter, though :)

-Ian

I know, I know. Dean told me how to do this one:

"Ahem, drive it on to a brick, then put the trolley jack under it."

This advice reprinted here courtesy of Dean Barrett. The author can not be held responsible if it turns out someone said it to Dean before he said it to me.

Can you believe I didn't figure that out?  When checking brake/wheels combo's with the inestimable Mr. Holroyd, the guy at the tyre place employed the highly technical solution of driving the car onto a plank*, so one side was higher than the other.  Amazing how the brain doesn't work, sometimes, isn't it?

-Ian

*Plank car raising scheme © 2001 Frisby's Tyre, Vulcan Road, Norwich.

I never use the jacking points  to raise the car.

I use cross members, diff , two ton jack spreader plate, blocks rubber( cut from old tires) and axle stands

At the back use the diff as  a jacking point and put stands at the rear jacking  points with rubber blocks.

At the front use the steel cross member behind the ally one, stands  at each end of the same member with rubber blocks.

When I did my brake hoses (twice), the second time I found it far easier to use the stock jack at each point and slip a stand in. When I use the trolley jack, in the manner that Phil states, it involves a lot of laying around, reaching under the car.

The last time I let the car down with a trolley check on the diff, the bloody thing started rolling towards me, luckily I was able to grab the "stock chock" and jam it under the wheel. At the time I could see a Darwin Award heading my way.

Guest Supragirl
Quote: from Paul Booth on 12:16 am on Oct. 22, 2001[br]
Quote: from Paul Booth on 7:23 pm on Oct. 21, 2001[br]I'm saying nothing, I bend things when I do it.

I'm thinking of changing my name to Yuri Geller.

WHAT!!!! you mean like an "alias", or "pen name" or "Pseudonym"

or "Nom de Plume"......OR are you talking about the full monty "change of name by deed poll!!"  :) ;)

(Edited by Supragirl at 12:24 am on Oct. 22, 2001)

Quote: from Supragirl on 12:23 am on Oct. 22, 2001[br]
Quote: from Paul Booth on 12:16 am on Oct. 22, 2001[br]
Quote: from Paul Booth on 7:23 pm on Oct. 21, 2001[br]I'm saying nothing, I bend things when I do it.

I'm thinking of changing my name to Yuri Geller.

WHAT!!!! you mean like an "alias", or "pen name" or "Pseudonym"

or "Nom de Plume"......OR are you talking about the full monty "change of name by deed poll!!"  :) ;)

(Edited by Supragirl at 12:24 am on Oct. 22, 2001)

Metaphorically.

For some reason, of late, me and trolley-jacks seem to have fallen out and my cars are always the innocent victim.