The mkiv Supra Owners Club

auto vs. manual help please

Guest jay3

I've got an auto, Ive raced alot over the years at Santa Pod etc and recently raced my Soop.

Everything else Ive raced in has been a manual and i've loved every second of it! Racing in an auto is a little un-involving and a pain in the arse to launch.

I love my auto and for frequent driving an auto is well handy but if I had to choose again i'd probably go for a manual for the extra involvement.

Oh and with a manual you won't get people saying 'nice car mate, shame its an auto tho, didn't you want a proper one?' (w**kers) :complain:

I agree with Gaz and Burt... Try both before buying and decide which you prefer. Everyones different.

Arent those the gimps in saxos :)

If you are going single it's got to be easier with a manual.

Regards to 'involvement'- do you want a manual choke and hand crank the bastard into life? I mean, swapping your own cogs? That is like SO last century lol. Why not get a VVti with a dash mounted sliding scale (like a renualt heater!) and adjust your timing on the move! :p Hey lets get back to basics, have manuals, leaf springs, push rods with 8 litre 3 pots! Retro baby yeah! lol.

Regards to 'involvement'- do you want a manual choke and hand crank the bastard into life? I mean, swapping your own cogs? That is like SO last century lol. Why not get a VVti with a dash mounted sliding scale (like a renualt heater!) and adjust your timing on the move! :p Hey lets get back to basics, have manuals, leaf springs, push rods with 8 litre 3 pots! Retro baby yeah! lol.

Agree with the VVTI Auto comment, test-drove that extensively when making a purchasing decision, the 4-sp steering mounted gearshift was a good compromise. I personally prefer a Manual and a 6-sp gearbox.

Ridiculous to suggest that we go back to archaeic technology, at the same time not keen on embracing full automation thereby excluding driver involvement.

having 6 gears is really great and the box is fantastically strong

you really need to drive and decide yourself though, this particular topic gets discussed to death on here.

if you have future plans for big bhp the manual route will save the hassle of getting a box rebuilt to be uprated (but you will need an appropraite clutch of course...)

and stock, like for like the manual is quicker than the auto not the other way around, but there is not a lot in it. Not enough to worry about, better to choose based on what you prefer to drive :)