The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Check that its a uk-spec supra?

Xantim

Originally posted by Bobbeh

Would it be fair to say a UK would be a more reliable BPU car because of the stronger turbos?

(this is a question, not a statement :) )

Bobbeh, I thought so, but as you know I have been discussing turbos a lot of late, and when speaking to Leon about fitting UK steels to my car, in comparrison to my J-Spec pair, he said that they can still go at 1.2b just as easy. He also told me I wouldnt see any increase in power, a drop if anything, but only a few hp on the dyno, nothing that you would really notice.

And due to having to buy a replacement decat pipe, due to different flanges, thats was another route shelved...

Ash, Im not really talking about overall power, but just with being realiable running higher boost. Can you remmeber what were Pauls running when his popped? 1.4?

The impression he gave me is that they will be more reliable at lower boost, once you start going 1.2b and above its all a lottery.

I cant remember what Paul was running at, but I think he may have even spiked....... :confused:

Ash, Im not really talking about overall power, but just with being realiable running higher boost. Can you remmeber what were Pauls running when his popped? 1.4?

Bobbeh like ash says it can happen to either but in general the uk turbos are much stronger than the japs but the trade off is more lag , this uk with hybrids spat its turbos on stock boost , i was running wait for this 1.78 bar yesterday whilst overtaking on the motorway and i will run more if poss at the pod when i go up , but generally i would say the uks are a lot safer at BPU , there again im having trouble getting this one to boost enough they are not as eager to run hi boost as the ceramics , in a thread on supraforums some of the guys are running their steels at 2 bar !!!!!!

Dude:flame Dev

Originally posted by Ashley Willis

The impression he gave me is that they will be more reliable at lower boost, once you start going 1.2b and above its all a lottery.

I cant remember what Paul was running at, but I think he may have even spiked....... :confused:

The remains of his turbo almost spiked several people who were standing behind the car!! :p

Originally posted by Patrick_Devlin

The remains of his turbo almost spiked several people who were standing behind the car!! :p

It could have been nasty Pat if paul had been behind the car and his bag was ruptured it would not have been a pretty sight :eek:

Dude:flame Dev

Bloody hell guys!

I hope the J-specs arent poo, Ive just put 10k down on a 1997 TT 15k car and will be gutted if its as poor as is made out :)

Nar, seriously though, I think both cars have their good and bad points. I actually went for a J-spec as there was more for the money, greater availablility, lower mileage and GENERALLY (in the ones I saw only, this isnt to say anyone else's is poo!) better looked after. That, however, is only what I have seen. Personally I would trust a Japenese dealer before a UK one. That is my opinion though! Of course, UK's have steel blades whereas J-specs have ceramics. Must admit Im worried about mine going even on stock boost, and I havent got the bloody thing yet LOL!!!

The trade-off is (generally) higher insurance (for me), poorer brakes in comparison allegedly (hey, thats what brembo's are for :-) and a rougher ride, and no bonnet scoop (v.nice). Can be sorted with money, as can anything UK or Jap. Even plonkling new pads on the j-spec is reported to help (I dunno, just what Ive read).

Not too bothered about power myself, or how the turbos would handle more boost, Im happy to ponce around in her to get the feel for handling before I do anything (1 year lol) then when I have money I can start upgrading IF I want to, but Im happy with the way it is!

Each to their own opinion IMHO - I would have been just as happy with a low mileage UK model, as I am with my low mileage J-spec :)

Thouhg I guess the bottom line is it depends what you use it for, what you expect out of it, and how much youre prepared to spend doing it.

Originally posted by dude

No luck on the sale Chris ???? thought you had someone looking at her !!. Just been out on test in this UK ive got here with its new hi-stall converter and hybrids and it goes like stink , even in TTC with hybrids it has virtually no lag just by putting the throttle down , if you power brake you have to be very gentle with the gas unless the tyres are warm .

Dude

Not yet John, you know, just the usual time wasters that turn up and expect a car thats just rolled out of the box, not one thats 9 years old. I mean, if you want a brand new car, go fucking buy one.

hi seen this thread late. iam just happy to own a supra be it jap or uk

the standard car is so tame when you go down the modding route. im all for pushing the image of the supra as far as possible. seems to me that the skyline lads dissmiss the supra. i would like to see any supra do well. you have to look at how far americans are pushing there cars on standard turbos mid 11`s and a high 10 with nos is impressive. i know not everything is down to 1/4 mile action. they also push the standard block to great limits on stock internals. also people think because supra has ceramic turbos they going to blow up at the first chance. my mates got a uk spec supra he has blown up about 4 times, he is wanting some new uprated pistons, but is busy doing his house up to sort his car out.

i think its good people pushing there cars like dude is running big boost to see the limits. i know dude is going single so if turbos blow it wont be too bad.

just lets try push the car as a whole forward. think this will be a good year for supras. just have to look at the new record the crd supra just set

good luck to everyone

i will be back out with mine end of week cant wait :)

i went to check car today in oldham and exhaust was not on car, thought some toe rag pinched my exhaust. turns out the guy doing my car took it off to make working on car easier

was ready to go get a new one.