The mkiv Supra Owners Club

just been caught speeding

Lee GZ

I think if hes been told hes getting a summons by the cop, that kinda qualifies as the verbal!

Yep, it does.

Next step is that they have up to 6 months to send the court papers etc.

I've been through this, only they had clocked me on the video etc (over 110 if you wonder)

They were quite persistent in pursuing the case (as were the court and other officials) but in the end I wiggled myself out scott-free. Used an extreme version of 'non-cooperation', providing no details, feedback or response whatsoever (but covering my ass at the same time in case it got ugly)

In the end there is a limited amount of resources that can be thrown while pursuing such 'crimes' so if it drags long enough they decide to let it go and proceed to the next victim.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did the Policeman get you to sign anything at the side of the road?

Also bare in mind, that you can safely take 10% off the speed you think you were doing as GPS speed is the only acurate method...so if you really were doing 120 then obviously thats 109 mph it may be that they clocked you much lower, so could make some difference!

I know what you mean about driving late at night empty motorway etc, everyone does it including the magistrate and the Policeman that pulled you up..you sound a responsible sort of fella..so tell them what you told us..it may help i dunno..hope you get away with it, or they forget it..would be nice fingers crossed for you mate!

Si

(-:

Guest gzaerojon
Tailing someone else doing 110 yeah right. More like doing over 100 themselves to get home when you when past.

:yeahthat: surely if they're saying you were going faster then 100 but they don't know how fast, that's just guessing?? don't they have to record the exact speed to be able to prosecute?

There never seems to be a rock solid rule to fines or bans. Really depends on the location, weather, police person and or courts.

I had a friend done for doing 103mph down the Motorway. He went to court and got a fine and 2 week ban. He di have soome other points to.

Other people have got of with just points and fines.

Unfortunately, its a case of wait and see and as others have said, lay it on that you need a car for getting to work if it comes to that.

Carl

Surely this raises another question.... if this goes to court, how can he be expected to plead guilty or not guilty if no-one has actually recorded the speed he was travelling at? :conf: And it's already been said, I thought they had to follow you for a short time anyway? Hence them saying they were following someone else.

I got cought doing over a 100, court summon - got work to write me a letter sayin how important my licence is to my work - they ended up giving me 6 points a 120quid fine.. summon took 6months to come through!

But i've known someone who got cought doing 130mph, and the copper said he was going to get summoned. 2yrs gone now, still havn't heard anything.

So.. all the best!

Thanks a lot everyone for all ya help and kind words, really appreciate it.! I suppose it’s just going to be case of wait and see now, just been out side giving the sup a wash lol making the most of it, just in case..?

They were quite persistent in pursuing the case (as were the court and other officials) but in the end I wiggled myself out scott-free. Used an extreme version of 'non-cooperation', providing no details, feedback or response whatsoever (but covering my ass at the same time in case it got ugly)

In the end there is a limited amount of resources that can be thrown while pursuing such 'crimes' so if it drags long enough they decide to let it go and proceed to the next victim.

I would like to know john bud when you say extreme verion of non-cooperation what do you mean by that, did you just spend ages in getting back to them with relevant info etc... and also how did you cover your ass just in case things turned bad?

Gunna pop out in a min and produce all the documents, get that bit over and done with i suppose.. :(

I know what you mean about driving late at night empty motorway etc, everyone does it including the magistrate and the Policeman that pulled you up..you sound a responsible sort of fella..so tell them what you told us..

I wouldn't try and place to much emphasis on it being dark and late at night on empty roads etc in case they think it's a regular thing for you to do. Just say something that makes them know that you were aware of the road conditions (as in if it was dry, good visibility etc, number of cars about)

... did you just spend ages in getting back to them with relevant info etc... and also how did you cover your ass just in case things turned bad?..

"ages" as in "never".

Well, until I said the right things at the right moment - but there was only one thing they could do at that stage - scrap the lot and start again:eyebrows:

With no guarantees that they'd manage to nail me down even on the next prosecution round, they probably decided to let go altogether.

Never produced docs either, although I did have proof that I visited the named police station within the 7-day period. But being forgetful and absent in general I created more work for them and they didn't want to know. Oh well...:innocent:

Don't be fooled, if they really want to get someone they will.

The 'hurdle' system relies on the real-word of budgets and limited resources on what is effectively a money-making excercise.

man,.

he doesnt know how fast you was going.

also if he was on his own then a visual by him isnt worth nothing,

get a good solicitor - and ask the police how fast you were going,.

even if the cop was doing 110mph and you past him,he wasnt tailing you so he wont know exactly your speed,only a guess which in court just wont cut it.

you would only get a ban for speeding if you were doing at least twice the speed limit.

Well he’s putting me down for doing in excess of 110mph even though he recons he’s being lenient as i was going a lot faster!

Got 7 days to produce and he said i will be getting a letter stating i will have to attend court.

tell him to prove it !