The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Active spoiler speed

mrpug106

My active spoiler used to come dome at about 75/80mph which was fine,Then it stopped ....I thought.....as the little green light never came back on,

Arhhh but I actually went over the speed limit at the w/end and the bloody spoiler now Works...But the speed bit has changed to 110mph before it works...WHY ?

Quote: from mrpug106 on 4:07 pm on Oct. 22, 2001[br]My active spoiler used to come dome at about 75/80mph which was fine,Then it stopped ....I thought.....as the little green light never came back on,

Arhhh but I actually went over the speed limit at the w/end and the bloody spoiler now Works...But the speed bit has changed to 110mph before it works...WHY ?

What else has changed electrically in the last few weeks?

If the answer to that is nothing, I'd be going to see Mr Betts to get the speed signal into the ECU scoped.

Quote: from Brian Jackett on 10:31 am on Oct. 23, 2001[br]Mine changed when I had the Cruise control changed to work over 70mph.

regards

There's a signal coming from the odo which supplies the car's speed to all the control ECUs (PPS, cruise, engine/gearbox, etc.). If this signal is modified at a common point, everthing on the system gets the same modified information.

Most ECUs don't want or need a modified signal. If you modify the cruise input, you should do it *after* the splice point in the loom, i.e., at the ECU itself and not, as is most common, at the odo end of the daisy chain.

When mine was modified by the importer it was done in that fashion and, depending on the year and model (hence software revision in each ECU) each ECU can give different characteristics.

Mine got itself a 120MPH speed limit and one other attribute which Mr Betts and I both agree is *TOTALLY IMPOSSIBLE* and, had I not seen it myself, I would have accused anyone on here of winding us all up. Whether I fed the cruise with 1:1 speed data or 5:8, it still worked over the same road speed range. It can't do that so I imagined it, but I didn't, but it's not possible, but it did it.

I just decided to stick the dash back on and forget it ever happened (would someone mind undoing this jacket with the lace down cuffs for me please?).

I thought the front spoiler was supposed to come down at 50mph? Well mine does anyway, it doesn't go back up until you drop below 45mph. Saying that I don't know how the import versions differ over my UK version on the front aerodynamics.

AJI

check out

htpp:/www.trlperformance.com/supra and click on the Active Spoiler link in the useful bits section.

Should explain a lot.

Normally operation starts at 56MPH (90KPH) and Jap cars are the same. It's just when the speedo gets converted from KPH to MPH most importers cock this up and you end up with a spoiler that has an operational range scaled by 8/5ths as well. (due to the 5/8ths conversion of the speed signal)

Pete

ps. There's a lot of info on my pages about many things, always worth a look.