The mkiv Supra Owners Club

237mph road legal supra

mr lover

Apart from Jun, why has no-one done it?

Why weren't all these tuning firms invited to Nardo last year by Continental tyres like RUF, Gamballa, 9FF, Konigsegg etc... 9FF hit 248mph at Nardo in a tuned Porsche GT2. Where were HKS? Top Secret? Amuse? TRD?

Who has the gear to do the measuring to the nearest 100000000th of a mile per hour to keep the hecklers happy. Anyway most tuning companys know that the majority of people who buy their stuff shit themselves about 180.

I always have a laugh at lax power and the like, they show these Supras with the price of both kidneys spent on the engine, claim 800 or 900 bhp and list the top speed as 155 limited or 175 or the like. is that in 5th? lmao [sHOCK][/sHOCK]

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who has the gear to do the measuring to the nearest 100000000th of a mile per hour to keep the hecklers happy. Anyway most tuning companys know that the majority of people who buy their stuff shit themselves about 180.

I always have a laugh at lax power and the like, they show these Supras with the price of both kidneys spent on the engine, claim 800 or 900 bhp and list the top speed as 155 limited or 175 or the like. is that in 5th? lmao [sHOCK][/sHOCK]

Well for my example Nardo supplied all the gear- but why wasn't Jap tuners (or tuners of Jap stuff) invited to the Continental tyre test? It was pretty much a whose who of German and American tuners.

We do top speed days at Brunters, we hire out the full aerodrome and timing gear, and out of 12 events, 11 have been completely dominated by Porsches, with a Porsche (or tuned Porsche) taking the top speed on atleast 6 occasions (off the top of my head, it could be more).

The "most customers shit themselves at 180" doesn't hold as there are dozens of tuners catering for cars that already do 180mph straight from the crate, hell Konig do a twin turbo conversion on the F50.

Yeah definately, your 100% right, no Supra makes the power to go that speed, they all flip at 200mph, the speed at which Porsches with half the HP are still pulling. :rolleyes:

Can ANY of them beat 201mph from a standing start?

First: The link is v.v.v.v impresive, big pat on the back to him.

Two: Guy with 640bhp RUF GT2 hit 202mph at Brunters, Adam with 550bhp RUF RT hit 200 dead. Both on optimax and road tyres (not road legal drag radials, I mean proper road tyres). Am I mistaken thinking Dude hit 186mph at Brunters?

As said before 9ff hit 248mph at Nardo- has a Supra gone quicker?

The aero effects over about 180 are amazing, to go 210 from 200 takes a huge power leap, 200 to 240 is MEGA. If it REALLY had that much power it would be breaking things left right and centre anyway. Proper independent engine dyno figures please... :)

*edited because of cockup* :)

632hp at the wheels to push a Supra past 200mph, by my calcs.

1100hp to get it to 240mph.

What sort of distance are we looking at for the respective speeds- assuming no traction issues? :)

632rwhp is actually a hell of a lot of power to hit 200mph- is the Supra really that un-aerodynamic? (F40 makes do with 480 at the fly)

*Ahem*

Made a bit of a cockup there. :)

I've got a spreadsheet (surprse surprise) that I was playing with to estimate transmission losses based on people's dragstirp times and dyno curves, but I never really got it to work. Part of it works out aero drag and the power required to overcome it. Two of the variables you plug in are frontal area and drag coefficient.

Trouble is, I never really got a "good " figure for frontal area, so I tried to measure it off a scaled down drawing and came up with 2.1m^2. There was a discussion on here about a year ago that said that a combined Cda of 1.1 was "about right" based on coastdown readings off a powermeter, but if you take the book Cd figure or 0.33 then 2.1m doesn't get you a Cda of 1.1

Of course the coastdown measurements will also include a degree of transmission drag and tyre resistance.

Anyway, I was fuging my spreadsheet with an artifically high Cd of 0.5 to make the CDa right. if you plug in 2.1m and 0.33 then the power to get to 200mph comes down to 400rwhp and 240mph comes in at 693rwhp.