The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Smoke :(

michael

LOL, that's a wee little BOV!

The smoke is definately white, not even the slightest hint of blue from what I can tell - when I started it up I noticed a bit of "water" on the drive directly behind the exhaust.

Now the weather has been awful here for the past couple of days and I did come up with a mood improving theory that maybe the exhaust had a lot of moisture in it but I suspect I'm just clutching at straws in an attempt to stop me being p1ssed off.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mine smokes with white condensation smoke all the time. If I drive through a puddle and get a small amount splash through the baffle hole I get smoke. I also get it when I do into a large dip that has got cooler air in it. Mine is decatted with a NUR and the heat that is produced is amazing, I just put it down to this. I'm not losing oil or water, although my petrol consumption is very high (so I also get a strong smell of petrol).

I think you may be worrying more than you need to. If the smoke ain't blue, it ain't gonna be your turbos that are shot.

Ben..

Originally posted by Soonto"HAS"soop

Mine smokes with white condensation smoke all the time. If I drive through a puddle and get a small amount splash through the baffle hole I get smoke. I also get it when I do into a large dip that has got cooler air in it. Mine is decatted with a NUR and the heat that is produced is amazing, I just put it down to this. I'm not losing oil or water, although my petrol consumption is very high (so I also get a strong smell of petrol).

I think you may be worrying more than you need to. If the smoke ain't blue, it ain't gonna be your turbos that are shot.

Ben..

Mmm - I also have the NuR and both CATs out - I also use a lot of fuel, it smells of petrol and don't seem to be losing oil or water, I'm still worrying though :)

Originally posted by NWS25

That little amount of oil you mention, is alot Ash, it's ok for a liitle bit of oil in the IC pipes, but thats alot.

My heads not thinking straight due to alcohol abuse last night, but the oil gets in there via knackered turbo oil seals iirc.

Surely it can also get in through the breathers. Plus i have oil like that in my intake, and get no BLUE smoke. If the oil seals on the tubs had gone/about to go, the oil would be getting worse causing blue smoke pretty much constantly - not intermittently (sp).

Ben..

Originally posted by NWS25

That little amount of oil you mention, is alot Ash, it's ok for a liitle bit of oil in the IC pipes, but thats alot

Bugger :(

It was a really light coat, no pools or anything - I thought it was pretty clear for an 85k car that has probably never had those hoses removed.

My MR2 Turbo used to get a lot more oil in the IC pipes.

I have no idea why I called you Ash, sorry dude :D

You say not alot mate, but a couple of the pics showed alot, it's even coming out of the BOV by the looks of it.

Sorry to ruin your Sunday, but if it makes you feel better, I've just found a lake in my Alfa's passenger foot well :(

that oil under and on the bov is not good, does the bov work? it looks like there's alot of oil in there. take it off & give it a clean, there's instructions on heree how to check if it works.

the confusing part is where has all the oil come from that is in the intake (not ic) pipe that goes to no2 turbo? this pic it can only b from the bov. why just down one side into no2?

the white mayo on the oil cap could just b from short journeys where condensation from in the cam cover has not boiled off in hot oil or maybe the the cam cover has no ventilation (something's blocked). have a search for pcv, terry s outlined a way to test it a few weeks ago.

it looks like they have just topped up yr coolant, should b no crispy bits and it stays red for a long time. looks like yrs needs a good flush.

Originally posted by eyefi

that oil under and on the bov is not good, does the bov work? it looks like there's alot of oil in there. take it off & give it a clean, there's instructions on heree how to check if it works.

I can't say I've heard the BOV at all but with the windows up pretty much constantly and the standard intake stuff in place I'm guessing it wouldn't be loud anyway?

I'll look over the archives to see if I can find the cleaning info - its too dark to do anything now though :(

the confusing part is where has all the oil come from that is in the intake (not ic) pipe that goes to no2 turbo? this pic it can only b from the bov. why just down one side into no2?

Mmm it's a bit of a worry, one side clean and one side oily - if anyone can speculate on this I'd be grateful.

the white mayo on the oil cap could just b from short journeys where condensation from in the cam cover has not boiled off in hot oil or maybe the the cam cover has no ventilation (something's blocked). have a search for pcv, terry s outlined a way to test it a few weeks ago.

I did have a look at what I thought might be a PCV hose but it was pretty clean inside, I found an old post where Terry mentions the PCV valve though - can't say I found one of these and it's too dark out there now :(

it looks like they have just topped up yr coolant, should b no crispy bits and it stays red for a long time. looks like yrs needs a good flush.

I'm beginning to wonder what they *did* do now :( The coolant doesn't look like it got changed, the fuel filter wasn't until I went back and complained (I'd paid for it though) and the brake fluid isn't as clean as I'd expect - maybe they didn't change the engine, diff and gearbox oil like I asked and paid for either..... it's been too long to go back and kick up a fuss now but at least I'm getting under the bonnet and learning stuff at last.

I really don't know what to do, I need to get to work in the morning but I'm reluctant to drive it and we don't have very good public transport around these parts :(

I can't find the instructions :(

It seems I'm a search button retard, can you point me in the direction of the info?

if yr not loosing alot of oil and u can take it easy on the road, i wouldnt have thought anything would b made a lot worse. im gonna add a disclaimer to that, cos i dont know what's wrong exactly and im just looking at pics etc.

do u think the "petrol" smell could b burning oil?

in the pics, was that smoking straight from startup, or was the exhaust up to temp? white smoke (condensation) is quite normal from a cold exhaust on a cold day, but, and its hard to tell from a pic, that doesnt look like the condensation im on about. burning oil has a sweet smell to it and is quite unmistakeable once u know what it is.

im gonna look for the instructions for u, back in a bit.

Disclaimer noted, I joined Club Toyota tonight too so I now have RAC cover - very reasonable price.

The smell I get does seem to be petrol but then I'm not a gourmet on smells so it could well be oil, I first noticed it the day after my AVC-R had been fitted.

The photos of the smoke were taken fairly shortly after starting it up, there is no smoke immediately on startup and then a minute or so later it starts - the other morning I got it about 40 mins into my trip to work though so things were nicely warmed up.

Thanks for helping me with the instructions, I've been trying for a bit now but I'm not seeing them, I've seem a lot of nice pics of non-standard BOVs though :)

pcv valve here

Ah right! I took the hose off that and checked it for blockages but didn't do anything with the bit that went into the block because I didn't want to break it :)

So I need to divert the pipe into a container and block this valve off then.

I think I'll try and buy a £50 car tomorrow and look at all this stuff at the weekend, with my work commitments I suspect I won't get much done during the week :(

todays may well have been condensation and the other times just the wrong weight oil. toyota could have put some zero weight oil in.

first thing id do is put in some 10 or 15 weight oil, clean out the pipes, clean the inside the bov and inside its pipes, cos they wont seal very well with all that oil on em and jubilee clip the bov pipes on the pressurised side (nearest front of engine). then just see how it goes, with the pipes being clean u can tell exactly whats going on and not b thrown by some previous "occurance". if yr worried about rings or valves then u can borrow my compression tester and see if u need to go for a leakdown. its just a gauge, its easy to use.

yr right about the stock bov and air filter noise level. its hardly noticable but if u listen hard u can just hear it. u could always vent the stock bov to air.

todays may well have been condensation and the other times just the wrong weight oil. toyota could have put some zero weight oil in.

first thing id do is put in some 10 or 15 weight oil, clean out the pipes, clean the inside the bov and inside its pipes, cos they wont seal very well with all that oil on em and jubilee clip the bov pipes on the pressurised side (nearest front of engine). then just see how it goes, with the pipes being clean u can tell exactly whats going on and not b thrown by some previous "occurance". if yr worried about rings or valves then u can borrow my compression tester and see if u need to go for a leakdown. its just a gauge, its easy to use.

yr right about the stock bov and air filter noise level. its hardly noticable but if u listen hard u can just hear it. u could always vent the stock bov to air.

Bless Toyota :)

:twak:

I've cleaned all the pipes I've taken off to date and wiped the BOV, headsheilds etc so I know where I am - I just nipped out in the dark and tried to work out how to remove the BOV pipes but they seem to be quite solid and won't just slide off so I'll leave those on until I can see properly - I'd best buy some lengths of hose too so I can play around with things a bit.

Thanks for the offer on the compression tester, I'll bear that one in mind but for now I'll keep myself busy with the simple stuff.

Cheers to everyone for your help so far, I still have an ill car but I'm learning lots :)

u need to pull the clamp tabs together with a pair of pliers to get the bov pipe off.

to test the stock bov:-

take it off the car and take off big hoses, leave the thin one on.

blow through it, if u can its fucked. this wont b the case with u, cos u r seeing good boost.

apply vacuum (a syringe is useful for this, i have one that will apply 0.5 bar vac) to the little hose and u should b able to blow through the big hole.

just had a thought, there wasnt pretty colours in the water in the rad was there? coolant level good, in the rad and overflow?

u need to pull the clamp tabs together with a pair of pliers to get the bov pipe off.

I managed to move the clamps but then couldn't budge the hoses, I didn't go too mad though as I didn't want to force anything in the dark.

blow through it, if u can its fucked. this wont b the case with u, cos u r seeing good boost.

apply vacuum (a syringe is useful for this, i have one that will apply 0.5 bar vac) to the little hose and u should b able to blow through the big hole.

Thanks for that, I'm not the type of chap who generally has syringes lying around the place though :)

Actually yes I am! I have one of those ink cartridge refill kits somewhere :thumbs:

just had a thought, there wasnt pretty colours in the water in the rad was there? coolant level good, in the rad and overflow?

I didn't notice any weird colours (I presume you are looking for petrol?) - it just looked murky - I think I might go down to Hartwell Toyota and kick off with them anyway, it'll make me feel better if nothing else!

Coolant level is up to the top, not much in the overflow though.

I'm going to have another go at BOV removal tonight - little bit of smoke on startup this morning but it was -2C so chances are it was condenstation.

Saw none on the way to work, even when stopped but when I arrived at work it started smoking a bit when I reversed into my parking space.

I opened the bonnet and looked for evidence of oil on the parts I'd cleaned yesterday and saw none.

The sad saga continues....

I managed to find the time to remove the standard BOV tonight - I couldn't blow through any of the holes but I also struggled to do your vacuum test - the best I could manage was me sucking on the small pipe while my very lovely and tolerant fiancée blew through the other two without success, I'm not sure if I applied enough vacuum but I did hear a noise inside when I sucked.

The good news is that the inside of the BOV is as clean as a whistle, no oil in there at all - the stuff in the earlier pics was just on the outside... I still can't suss out where it's coming from.

Anyway I took some new pictures of the BOV for future reference, as you can see I've cleaned the outside up but the inside is as it was when I took it off.

I'm planning to do an oil change and compression test on Saturday, I still had the smoke when I was driving home tonight - as usual just when stood in traffic after moving slowly, you really notice it when it's dark and the chap behind you has his headlights on.