The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BOV question

garetheves

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont understand it myself TBH. The paper was deffinately "pushed" in there by hand but why i do not know. Like i said the car seems to be running okish with it out. Bit of a scare at first but that seemed to have settled when i took it out. Will drive it to work tomorrow to test it properly and let you know how it goes. You could do me a massive favour if you want and just phone your garage and ask them if they remember doing it and if so then why. That would be cool if you could spare 5 mins.

No probs mate, it's the least I can do. Very strange.

Injectors are 650cc power enterprise.

No there isnt im afraid. Ill go check all the hoses in a few mins but if not is there anything else you can thing of. The main reason i believe its the BOV is because, if im honest, i was a bit concerned about the turbo hesitating before i took the paper out, i just didnt feel that it was pulling like it should, then when i took the paper out it became even more noticeable.

all I can say really is... don't be booting it until it's sorted. a fuel pressure regulator hose would be a favourite to me to be off...

at first thoughts I figured the paper was in there to make the BOV quieter (not thinking that any more) though I have to agree with Adam that I'd be very surprised if the garage that did all of the work would have stuffed it full of paper to cure a leak problem!

My only guess to why someone would stuff that material stuff in there would be to collect the oil in the air when it passes. I know some people reporting getting quie a meessy area around the BOV due to it constantly expelling air in the same location... ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Well after taking the paper out a few weeks ago now the BOV seemed to be working fine. Took her out for a spin the other day and it was still working fine, but on the return home i noticed the BOV get quieter and then stop working altogether. Check it out when i get home and there is load more of that same paper underneath the valve again. Exactly the same spot as last time, stuck below the valve. This is despite me taking the BOV apart last time to make sure there wasnt anything in there. I have no idea where it came from this time.

My only guess to why someone would stuff that material stuff in there would be to collect the oil in the air when it passes. I know some people reporting getting quie a meessy area around the BOV due to it constantly expelling air in the same location... ;)

More likely to be something like this tho? Is there some kind of air/oil filter in the bov that might have worked its way up?

Where is the BOV mounted? On the intercooler feed?

There's zero chance of this being stuff sucked in off the road. Through an air filter and past the turbos without tangling up and stalling the turbo? No chance.

Have you looked at your air filter? Maybe that is disintegrating. Also, have you completely removed the BOV? Maybe you can see stuff inside the boost hose.

It looks like kitchen towel to me. Maybe someone stuffed that in one of the pipes to stop dirt getting in when working on the car, then forgot to remove it?

If the BOV isn't closing properly I think you would have exactly the problems you descibe.

Gareth, can you make out what sort of paper it is? Have you got pic of it situ in the BOV?

Yes they are on Page 1 of this thread mate. Didnt take any the second time round but it looked exactly the same.

It does look like kitchen roll or the kind of tissue you get on large rolls in garages that kind of thing.

Doesnt look like its come from the Air filter.

Bov is mounted on the IC pipe just before the turbo so i cant understand why this paper has just turned up in the BOV and not in the turbo.

I've had exactly the same in a HKS BOV on my car when I first bought it. I knew there was a problem as I'd had one previously on a different Supra. When I looked at it, I found exactly the same as you have. I assumed the previous keeper had tried cleaning it at first, until I found so much inside it.

Has yours ever worked OK? Maybe it's something that gets trapped in there from new?

I've had exactly the same in a HKS BOV on my car when I first bought it. I knew there was a problem as I'd had one previously on a different Supra. When I looked at it, I found exactly the same as you have. I assumed the previous keeper had tried cleaning it at first, until I found so much inside it.

Has yours ever worked OK? Maybe it's something that gets trapped in there from new?

When i first picked the car up, the BOV wasnt working at all, then when i removed all the paper it worked fine for 2 weeks or so, then it re-appeared. Not taken it out for a spin since i removed the paper for the second time due to it being off the road while i fit my FMIC, so once im driving it again will see if it works.

Hi guys, just wondering how tight PSI or pressure for to set the BOV on the car, when I put my on, it sound slugsh, so I put some more washer in to make it harder, my car is running about 14psi, is there a figure psi to set to or just as tight as possable?

cheers

No it didnt mention anything, just saids use washer to adjust the strength, just incase if I have it very tight, well my car only running 14psi, if I have it tight- tight, will it be a chance that when release pedal its cant release preasure?