The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Buying an Imported Supra

supralover

As some of you may know I am seriously considering buying an Imported Supra.  I have seen a company called japanese car imports, so I may be going to them for it !

I was wondering what the realiability of the mkiv Supra was ??

Also it seems that the Japanese versions TT's are down on BHp to the english version Supra TT.  But on the broshure for the '93 TT's it states that 0-60 is 4.6 !!! Is this right ??  And if so what model is that for ??

IS it for the RZ or GZ ???

Oh and also what performence times do the English TT's have for 0-60 ?  I will be getting a manual version, just to point out which set of time si am looking for

THank you

p.s.after owning an older versioned supra I always felt that I belonged innthe Supra and so no other car I have owned since has got me so extatic !!

The MkIV is very very very reliable indeed, far better than the MkIII.

A whole LOAD of people on this list got their cars from JIC, I personally went to a different garage, their prices seem very high but they do have the biggest stock of Supras in the country, and a high level of knowledge.

As far as Jap vs. UK goes, I think the 0-60 etc times are comparable if you derestrict the Japanese TT.  I think most peoples consensus is that a 0-60 stock time is more like 4.9 seconds.

The RZ and GZ are identical performance wise, they just offer different levels of extras.

Quote: from supralover on 12:24 pm on Oct. 29, 2001[br]Thanks for the reply Flipfinger :)

So does that mean that the 0-60 of a Jap TT is over 5 seconds ?

I personally wouldn't get too tied up with 0-60 times, I can't see that 0.2 of a second or whatever means much in reality and you would more than likely knacker your car getting near the claimed figures anyway.

The Supra is quite quick of the line and has very good midrange and top end acceleration in either the J-spec or UK spec forms.

regards

The 0-60 time for a manual Supra T-T basically comes down to how quick you can change from 1st to 2nd gear. 4.9sec is a good time but with a profesional gear change and perfect conditions you could be looking at 4.6sec, but other factors come in to play such as road surface type, air temp, tyre width etc. etc.   I'd say on average your 0-60 time would be something like 5.0 sec and this would apply to both the UK and import versions.

AJI

A good method for getting a good 0-60 time is only rev up to 4000rpm in first and use the power in second gear to take you up past 60mph. The reason for this is that there is less weight transfere to the front when you put the clutch in to change gear and this keeps the car balanced in acceleration. Also if you happen to get a bit of engine braking if you don't time the clutch right, this will minimise it.

You mentioned the JIC but I have slated them in the past so I won't do it again. I'll let you make up your own mind when you go and visit them. (If thats what you plan to do).

AJI

I understood  that a certain German super car manufacturer, destroyed clutches to achieve their 0-60 book times. To achieve this on a standard car on a regular basis will be very expensive, if not impossible for the average driver. These time just give an indication of potential acceleration, and sell cars.

I thought Jaguar, offered  the purchasers of the 220 a print out of their cars performance on the test track because they recognised  that  the car  would never achieve those stats again.

As most road users take 14+ seconds to get to 60. I am happy with my cars acceleration. The problem is once you get used to a quick car, it ceases to amaze you and  you are left wanting more.  I got used  to getting to 60 in about 7.5 seconds regularly in one of my other cars.  That was  quicker than most.

I don’t know what the Supra is doing when I push it hard but it feels much quicker than that. How many of us get to see a supra pull away from us in a normal car. I suspect it looks mighty impressive without even trying.

As said in another post today,  you should be more concerned with 0 –100 times. Most  cars have run out of puff  at this point, the supra is just begging for more all the way to 160 and beyond.

There are quicker cars, but they will either cost you an arm and a leg, or will spend more time off the road than on it or will be made of suspect materials that offer no protection even in low speed bumps. For the money  the Supra must be one of the best super cars you can buy.

But like most members of this BBS I would say that, because I am biased.

Right now I need some more help !!! Sorry guys ?!?!

I am moving to Italy before next summer and so I really ned a left hand drive Supra TT !

I was wondering if you know of anyone that can supply a LEFT HAND DRIVE SUPRA TT or a whole load of them !?!?

cheers for any feedback

I am in desperate need of help on this front !!! The agony of not knowing who to try is really bugging me !!

I was told FLAVIO by Phil that you may know as you live elsewhere in Europe ??

There are a couple of europeans on the mail list, you could ask there (Flavio's the one with the stunning red LHD one right?)

Try the various internet sites (yahoo has a load of european car sites) or try the auto trader equivilents (not that I know what italy's is)

Look on the bright side, you have access to the holy grail of supras, the manual targa top ;)

In all seriousness, there are a LOT of quite good looking Supra's for sale over here (USA) that would probably do the job.  They're (obviously) left-hand-drive, I imagine they'd get through the *rigorous* Italian importing laws (which are....the car drives forward and back, and there's no smoke coming out of the bonnet) so maybe it's worth seeing how much putting one on a boat would be, if you're stuck for a Euro one......

All of them over here have targa tops......I'm beginning to feel inadequate, driving a car that doesn't sag in the middle ;)