The mkiv Supra Owners Club

AirCon clutch not working - no error codes

Jake

Oooo, If that works Jonny it's exactly what I need!

So it's the bottom right hand relay? (see attachment)

I need the engine runinng and AC turned on, right?

Yes Jake, that's the one on mine not sure if it is different for yours though seeng as it's a 2000..model..

cheers Jon..

In the fuse box there is a specific relay for the Compressor clutch, right hand relay nearest the wing if you will.:)

Take the relay out, start the engine then get a small piece of wire. Then you need to link out the contact terminals (that are shown on top of the relay), this will energize the coil on the clutch to engage it. This will prove obviously that the compressor is OK and not seized. If it is OK then perhaps you have a faulty relay if no other codes show up??

Thanks Jon, I bridged the relay connections like you said and the clutch engaged as it should. So that proves the compressor's clutch is OK.

I tried swapping the relay for a different one but the clutch didn't work then.

I think it's probably to do with the piggy back ECU wiring.

Anyway, thanks for the tip mate, definitely worth knowing.

Jake, when you bridge out the relay and the clutch engages, are you getting cold air from the air-con?

I know it's not much help, but Burt seems to have exactly the same problem as you. Although his is a pre-vvti, he's running a similar set up with an Autronic ECU piggybacked on to the stock ECU. Maybe there's a link...

What was Terry running ECU wise in the purple car? Ian who owns it now (whitelightning on here) was having problems with his on the Danish trip and had his pasenger shorting 2 wires in the footwell to turn it on and off.

He may be able to shed some light on the problem.

Jake, when you bridge out the relay and the clutch engages, are you getting cold air from the air-con?
I didn't check it. :(

I know it's not much help, but Burt seems to have exactly the same problem as you. Although his is a pre-vvti, he's running a similar set up with an Autronic ECU piggybacked on to the stock ECU. Maybe there's a link...
Yeah, thats what I'm thinking too. I haven't looked at the ECU wiring but maybe I could plug the stock ECU back in to see if the AC starts working again, just as a test.

I didn't check it. :(

Yeah, thats what I'm thinking too. I haven't looked at the ECU wiring but maybe I could plug the stock ECU back in to see if the AC starts working again, just as a test.

No chance I'm afraid Jake. I suspect you're stock ECU is already plugged in, but all the engine related wiring will have been cut off and routed through the Motec.

John, Terry's old car had a completely stand alone Autronic. I thought Ians compressor was fubar?

• 9 years later...

I have a problem with my a/c too.. got the system pressuried with new freon, when activate the a/c button, the a/c compressor stats up as normal, but shut down a couple off secunds after.. and then my a/c button starts to blink.. what could that be???

I have a problem with my a/c too.. got the system pressuried with new freon, when activate the a/c button, the a/c compressor stats up as normal, but shut down a couple off secunds after.. and then my a/c button starts to blink.. what could that be???

Here is a thread that will give you some pointers. May just be a sensor error.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?502037-A-C-button-light-blinking

For anyone ever having problems with their a/c not working the first thing to check is the system pressure. On a normal cool day the standing pressure in the system should be around 70psi. If it is below that then its either a very cold day or the system is low on gas. If it gets too low then the low pressure cut off will prevent the compressor from engaging to prevent the suction side pulling a vacuum. A running compressor should maintain a positive pressure feed when the system is properly charged (around 20psi on a normal day).

A/C pressure gauges and port valves are easily purchased via eBay or specific online suppliers.