The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Clear Plastic/Perspex

Rolec

I want to polish/remove fine scratches from a clear perspex/plastic cover.

I remember when i was at school we used to use a buffing wheel - not really practical where i want to do it.

Can i use v.fine wet and dry ?? - or some other polishing compound ??

The plastic looks like its been cleaned with an abrasive and consequently has a slightly matt finish.

Any suggestions appreciated :)

Dean..

Dean I a past life I use  to work for Harrods, fixing TV's.

We always carried Duraglit wadding (made by Brasso) around with us just in case we scratched something. Some of my customers spent £1000’s on cabinets for TV’s and stereos. I once had a £5000  TV  upside down on a very deep pile carpet, my trimmer was missing. You guessed it  was underneath the bloody thing scratching the cabinet. My mate and  I had to pretend that  there was  more wrong with the set that there really was, and the job would take longer  \than we  first thought. But  the customer just stayed with us. “ A cup of coffee would be great  love!” did the trick.

In five minutes the mark was  almost gone. But when she brought the coffee back she just stayed  to watch. We laid the set down on its screen with the top furthest from her. While my mate pretended to solder  inside the set, I slowly worked at the scratch. In ten minutes the mark was gone, and the TV was miraculously fixed. A quick bit of wax polish over the top of the set, “to get my dirty finger marks off” ensured a bright even finish finish. The customer was delighted, and none the wiser, the ten quid tip was much appreciated.

I have many more TV repair man tales to tell but not here.

Duraglit can get  the marks out of most plastics ,  painted and varnished  surfaces, you just have to be patient. I use it to get minor scratches  out of car  paint work. Just go slowly and keep buffing it off so that  you know when to stop. I have the wood dash I have managed to polish most  of the scratches out with the stuff. I also got the exterior yellowing  of my plastic headlights with it.

Dean...........

If you want a top finish, especially on softer more pliable material,  you need the proper plastic polish.

There is a company called CETEM that do a basic kit containing a couple of blocks of polish and two mops that are designed to be used with an ordinary Black & Decker type drill.

Phil's idea is a good one but the effectiveness will depend on the nature of the plastic material you are attempting to polish. I suspect that the harder the plastic, the better that fine abrasives such as Duraglit will work.  

The kit, from memory, costs about £20. I do not have their number to hand but an Internet search should dig them up.

Yours,

J

• 3 weeks later...