The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Autobox flush

Just noticed on the MKIV.com tech' info' pages (Toyota COPIES !)

that I'm supposed to use "T-II" A.T.F. , NOT "Dexron-II" - which is

just the 'normal'/'everyday' A.T.F.

Who uses 'normal' A.T.F.

OR,

Who uses this "T-II" type  ?????????

Haven't actually FOUND any of the "T-II" yet

if 'you all' use it... where stocks it  ??

Or is it all bolony and 'normal' will do...??

hi, sorry i prob wasnt too lcear, what i meant is that after refilling the fluid on an autobox, i seem to recall you have to select L, then neutral, then 2nd, back to neutral etc in order for the fluid to fully circulate around the box, before rechecking the level and going out for a drive.

I'm sure there was a tried and tested method posted somewhere.

Ps what model autoboxes do the mkiv use?  

Quote: from HedgehogSandwich adi on 6:40 pm on April 13, 2002[br]hi, sorry i prob wasnt too lcear, what i meant is that after refilling the fluid on an autobox, i seem to recall you have to select L, then neutral, then 2nd, back to neutral etc in order for the fluid to fully circulate around the box, before rechecking the level and going out for a drive.

I'm sure there was a tried and tested method posted somewhere.

Ps what model autoboxes do the mkiv use?  

Selecting all the gears, with car stationary, will refill all the brake band servos and clutch pack servos with fluid. A basic auto box drain still leaves the best part of a gallon of old ATF in the torque convertor, there are ways of getting most of this out, but they are a bit fraught with danger, so i won't go into them here.

The MKIV uses an Aisin Warner auto box. Similar to the big Volvos.

There are several other threads on the BBS regarding auto fluid and changes.  You should find the info you need in these threads.

When I did my fluid drain a refill, I found it hard to get a reading as the dipstick kept picking up fluid from the sides of the filler tube.  I found that by doing several checks it was possible to discern a straight line below some dry patches.  

Remember to keep the engine running while you take the readings or the fluid will drain into the sump and give a false level.

Cheers guys, What model number is the mkiv box? mines an A342E and was just wondering if the mkiv is the same box but with different spec.

Chris will a plug drain be enough to make a differnce? iThe fluids a bit brown at the minute and i want it as good as possible really.

As for the dipstick, yep i know what you mean...i have absolutely no idea of my level at the mo as when i pull the dipstick out the whole thing is covered. this is going to make refilling a bit difficult.

adi

Guest Martin F

MKIV auto box is an A340E, enhanced sportier version (Toyota's description not mine) of the one in the MKIII.

If you have brown fluid i would do a change and then within a couple of thousand miles do another change again.

Just my two peneth worth.

• 4 weeks later...

If you look on mkIV.com:

> > Specifications,

> > New Car Feature Book '93,

> >  Page 134 ( ncf134.jpg )

It says BOTH 'A340E' - type boxes, but fluid capacities

and some internals (ratios/number of discs etc) are slightly

different ? ? Different diam' torque convertor ?

But don't know what any of it means ? ? ?

For what it's worth I changed my gearbox oil only yesterday.

I have always used (for 60K miles) Castrol Dextron Type-III oil, and when drained I refilled with 1.9l

I also did my differential oil as well, Castrol 80W-90 Gear Oil.

This has been the third change of diff and gear oils in the 90K miles it's done. The first one I did, shortly after I purchased it the diff oil was a sludegy mess of goo. Now it's nice and clean and as it should be (in my opinion)

Same went for the autobox. Not quite sure what the heck had been done to it but all seems fine.

Pete