The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Petrol smell?...

andrew7

Hi guys,

Recently noticed a petrol smell when stationary in traffic...

Pulled up in a country lane today and lifted the bonnet, slight smell in there. Can't see any leaks or wetness on any of the pipe unions etc..

Had the O2 sensor changed a couple of weeks ago, so am wondering if it is that..or a lose plug or something else?.....

Anyone had this before, it's a bit worrying with two red-hot turbos also in there.............

Thinking the same Mart. Tried to call you today, busy busy....Never had the problem before it was changed and I don't exactly believe in coincidences.

Changed the plugs today, but made no difference...

Am soaking the old O2 sensor (which looked OK yes?) in lemon juice tonight and will change it back tomorrow, weather permitting.

Got to get it right, I have to go to Heathrow first thing Monday morning...

Re the Charcoal Canister, what do you check exactly?.....

Oh BTW Mart, Phil seems very pleased with his new wheels... happy bunny...:)

MPG has been fine and generally car has been running fine. I am thinking that new O2 sensor is not working properly at lower revs (cos it's shorter than OEM), if that makes any sense? (volume of gases in the center of the pipe compared to volume at the edges)....

Ahhh good, lovely wheels for the money.

Old O2 looked OKay... not gonna say anything about buying genuine parts ;)

Whats your MPG's like?

Changed back to the old O2 sensor this morning. No smells yet, but it is not as hot as it's been the last couple of days. Did notice on the sensor I took out that there has been blow-by between the sensor and the gasket....

Time will tell....