The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HELP! 1.4 Astra wont start - only car!

Hi chaps,

My Supra is SORN at the mo and my car for work and back etc is an L reg Astra 1.4 LSI, 5 Door.

It has been running fine, but suddenly two weeks ago, after driving into town on my lunch break, it refused to start after completing my shopping. It just turns over and turns over, as if it has run out of fuel.

The fuel light was on and it did run fine, this is what iv tried:

-Put fuel in it

-checked for a spark (thats fine)

-fuel pump is working

-battery fully charged

-fluid levels all fine

It just refuses to start, so suddenly. I left it with a garage to just diagnose, they reckon it is ECU because the injectors arnt firing and charged my £129 just for diagnosing!, BUT another two mechanics say Crank position sensor. When i checked the plugs they were wet with fuel, so i dont believe its ECU, just like that.

Any ideas? ECU or Crank sensor sound realistic? Appreciate any help as I need it for work!

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Rob/supra01 I havn't jumped anything or bumped it etc. The headgasket went a while ago, but that was fixed no probs, and its not a compression problem, so Not to do with that. Very random, however it was idling very lumpy shortly before it broke down with this problem. I thought nothing of it though!

id say a possibility on the CPS then. iirc they are a known problem. doubtful to be the timing belt, it wouldnt even turn over if it snapped or slipped, without a cacaphony :D

cant you arrange for one of the small independant Vauxhall garages to tke a look? have a word with the service manager, ask him to check the CPS (and the ECU just in case)