The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Quaife 6 spd sequential box......

Guest Ash

Quote: from Doughie on 10:42 pm on Nov. 26, 2001[br]Ash

When you're doing 220mph in a Supra I'd like to be there to watch.

that is, if any of your very detailed theory ever does actually results in becoming real actual tangible results.

looking forward to the high speed run

cheers

(Edited by Doughie at 11:34 pm on Nov. 26, 2001)

I went down the bolt-on tuning route for the first 18 months I had the car. Spent a small fortune on bits and pieces only to have to rip the whole lot out and start again.

Ultimately, what I want to do is build a car that truly does have BIG horsepower. Not the pretend bolt-on stuff. In fact, I don't want any bolt-on stuff at all... been there, done it, got the T-shirt.

However, once you step out from under the bolt-on umbrella, you realise just how much time and effort is required to design even the smallest and simplest of components.

Every bracket, every mount, every fastener has to be designed and developed. Suitable materials have to be decided upon, locations have to be worked out to a finite degree, etc. But that is all part of the fun, for me.  

I could have my car on the road in a few weeks, no problem. All I need do is buy an HKS off the shelf turbo kit and bolt it up. Or I could simply replace the stock turbos. But I'm not going to do that. As I say, I've been down that road already. Now I want something different.

Yours,

J

Quote: from Adam Wootten on 12:13 pm on Nov. 27, 2001[br]When they started running sleeved blocks and huge strokes to get those enormous displacements, they ran into reliability issues very quickly.  I think the 8.2 was a McLaren qualifying engine, and then they ran a 7.7 for racing (but even they broke fairly regularly).

Why did they have such huge engines?

Because they were trying to keep up with Porsches highly reliable, enormously powerful, (relatively) fuel-efficient forced induction engines . . . . go figure!

Really BIG Chevy V8's are now quite easily built and totally reliable. Reynolds did the ali Mc Laren blocks with Nikasil coated bores, one of the first uses of this in a 4 stroke multi cylinder engine. The blocks became scarce, were not too reliable, and only gave a modest capacity increase. Now you can buy off the shelf iron and ali blocks, the ali either with dry cast iron liners, or with the ability to be Nikasilled  to build a 10 litre + V8. The ali 7.2 small block I built was a PITA  as the rod bolts to cam spacing was down to 60 thou inch. I wanted to make some custom rods but my customer was impatient so some machining of the rods he supplied and a small base circle cam were needed. I was still not 100 % happy about clearances so we never really let it rev as high as it could have. The same engine could now be built with no clearnce problems as small block and big block Chevy ali blocks with the cam bore raised higher to allow more crank and rod clearance are available.

Whilst I think the pushrod engine has really had its day, like the 911 with its engine overhanging the gearbox out the back of the car, development has been so intense they are both still very capable dinosaurs.

Adam, you are absolutely right!

I swear on my life, I was chuckling about the thought of a 10 LITRE MKIV with TWIN superchargers when I read your post.

I tell you, Chris makes me laugh.

He's go SO much practical experience it's unreal.

Yours,

J

Have to disagree here with regards to a SPACE issue.

I do not believe that there is sufficient vertical room to install a big-block V8 in a Supra.    5ltr no probs i would imagine, but an 8 or 10ltr V8 just would not fit.    

Those Yank tanks had (have) HUGE engine bays that can take engines of this size.   It's more a "vertical" space issue than a width or length issue I would think (though i may be wrong).

in any event, it's totally out of keeping with the culture, history and raison d'etre of the car.   but heck that never stopped anyone !

ps. BTW Ash, I guess it's good for your own personal well-being to know that there's still at least 1 person on this BBS who has some semblance of respect for you.   The list of people on this BBS that you have alienated grows longer day by day.    sad but true I am afraid to say.  history seems to strongly indicate that you have a special talent for alientating genuine & decent people. nothing personal - just the sheer facts of the matter.  not interested in any further discussion.

(Edited by Doughie at 9:50 pm on Nov. 27, 2001)

Quote: from Syed Shah on 3:55 pm on Nov. 25, 2001[br]It had a JUN Holinger 6sp sequential 'box with a HKS Triple plate clutch according to JUN. That would be a gearbox I would like :biggrin:

Chris mentioned that the clutch is a re-badged Tilton item (he thinks). I was wondering what kind of power such a clutch could handle. Had a flip through some catalogues and came across a triple-plate 184mm AP Clutch.

The torque rating is: 985 lbs/ft !!!

Yours,

J

I wish !!!

Though I think that kind of torque could only be produced by the kind of 10 litre stuff that Chris was talking of earlier.

Still, I hope I can prove myself wrong on that.

Yours,

J

That JUN supra must be making almost that much, 12 x 890cc injectors and 5 x bosh fuel pumps. Not to mention 2 x T78 turbos.

To require that many injectors, it must be making at least 1500bhp!!!!

Remembering that the 1003bhp Top Secret Supra only need 3 x bosch fuel pumps!

I reckon a Supra could do it, and if you and CW ever want to try, feel more than welcome to my car :biggrin: