The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Indicators in Headlamp?

Tricky-Ricky

I have an aftermarket front bumper that has MR2 indicators,

i still haven't heard back from Ultraleds about a suitable bulb, so if i don't hear back from them soon, i might try SAGP method, but i'm not sure how long the halogens are going to last subject to constant flashing.

I have made up two spare painted bulbs just in case, if I get chance this weekend I'll put the hazards on an endurance test and see if they break.

I took the plunge this weekend and changed the fogs into indicators, fairly painless only needed to cut two wires and join a couple and splash a bit of bulb paint on, then hey presto no more naff indicators in the bodywork, they now take pride of place were god intended them to be.

They are a perfect amber and certainly bright enough, I put the hazards on for a while to test the painted halogens and no problem, even if it were it would also be simple enough to revert back, but no need, I’ve been using them quite a bit since converting them and all is sweet.:ok:

BULB PAINT??!?! thats a new one on me, already got the indicator in the fog lights, previous owner did it, but mine still flash white. so what paint am i looking for?

Rob S

BULB PAINT??!?! thats a new one on me, already got the indicator in the fog lights, previous owner did it, but mine still flash white. so what paint am i looking for?

Rob S

It does exactly what it says on the tin, or small bottle in this case, it is also sometimes called 'dipping paint'. The one I got was orange it came in a small bottle with a brush inside the screw cap about this size of a miniature spirit bottle. Only needed to apply 1 coat and it dries in minutes, very good stuff, and so far so good on the halogen indicators. It states it can be applied onto bulbs up to 85watt but not suitable for halogens!!! :innocent:

Here you go!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid201/pee88f43b298cff387f62026a285080c3/effd76ec.jpg

Clear MR2 indicators :whistle: ............in stock :whistle: ...............very good price :whistle: ;)

http://osaka-autodesign.com/images/Cflmr2b.jpg

I am thinking of doing this but is it legal, what i mean is will it pass an MOT ?

As long as they're above a minimum height off the ground (which they will be) and you still have side lights (and fog lights??) then they should be.

ps. what does the quote in your sig mean :conf:

As long as they're above a minimum height off the ground (which they will be) and you still have side lights (and fog lights??) then they should be.

ps. what does the quote in your sig mean :conf:

It is from V for vendetta, i have no idea what it means i thought it sounded clever ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Yes they are still working fine, no problems.

The paint dosent have a make, the stuff I got just had 'bulb paint' written in german on it.

I got the paint off the web (link below) £2.30 a bottle along with some other stuff, they only ship from Germany and delivery takes about 12 days, not sure if there is a minimum order requirement.

I seem to remember Ripspeed used to sell bulb paint once upon a time, they might be an easier option, but orange seems to be a hard colour to get hold of!!

http://www.conrad-direct.co.uk .... search for 'orange bulb paint'

Well at least by using the paint method the proccess is easily reversible if required, It is up for an MOT in a month or so, I don't see any reason for it to be a problem, but it will be nice to find out for sure, and if they are still working by then..... jobs a goodun

Cheers for that, it will be interesting to see how well it works as I thought I would check the bulbs today as one of my headlights has been misting up, the bulb paint seems to have been affected by the condensation as the paint looked dull and blotchy so I cleaned off the paint with some mentholated spirits and applied another coat, after drying out the headlamp I popped it back in and all is well, so I took out the bulb from the other side and noticed a small area on the top of the bulb where the paint seems to have 'evaporated' away and was clear again and the rest of the paint had gone a slightly darker orange, now this may be due to the hour long hazard light test I did the other day, both bulbs still work fine and look fine but I suspect I may have to reapply the paint on occasion.

• 6 years later...