Spun out! Gutted :(

HunterJ

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm pretty sure I was doing 25-30 as I came off the roundabout - its a 40 limit on the road so I'd be well under that due to the conditions (I drive like a girl in the wet - no offence to the ladies on here). As Todd said its a really small roundabout, I had a taxi on the inside of me, so I was following the lane - which probably added to the crap on my tires.

As I straightened up, applied the power, the backend slipped out. I caught the inital skid but in trying to avoid on comming traffic probably applied a bit too much power and ended up on the pavement, but I totally lost control due to some violent bouncing, dropped the clutch but from that point on I was a passenger... it hit a shrub and a post which turned it sideways.

I recall hitting the brake but do not remember it having any effect... its all a bit of a blur to be honest...

I think what caught me out the most was I knew the roads were slippy, and I was taking my time, so when it let go it took be by surprise. If I'd been in a situation where I was pushing the car on a bend I'd be ready for the backend kicking out!

Interestingly enough, there is a article in the Dunfermline Press this morning about that very road being unsafe!

Well now I have a good excuse to get my Celica GT back on the road...

Jamie

I'm pretty sure I was doing 25-30 as I came off the roundabout - its a 40 limit on the road so I'd be well under that due to the conditions (I drive like a girl in the wet - no offence to the ladies on here). As Todd said its a really small roundabout, I had a taxi on the inside of me, so I was following the lane - which probably added to the crap on my tires.

As I straightened up, applied the power, the backend slipped out. I caught the inital skid but in trying to avoid on comming traffic probably applied a bit too much power and ended up on the pavement, but I totally lost control due to some violent bouncing, dropped the clutch but from that point on I was a passenger... it hit a shrub and a post which turned it sideways.

I recall hitting the brake but do not remember it having any effect... its all a bit of a blur to be honest...

I think what caught me out the most was I knew the roads were slippy, and I was taking my time, so when it let go it took be by surprise. If I'd been in a situation where I was pushing the car on a bend I'd be ready for the backend kicking out!

Interestingly enough, there is a article in the Dunfermline Press this morning about that very road being unsafe!

Well now I have a good excuse to get my Celica GT back on the road...

Jamie

I'll be honest, when I first read this thread I thought "25, yeah and the rest" but the more I've thought about it and the various other similar reactions here, I started to think that we've all become so battered by the "Speed Kills" propaganda that we start to believe it's impossible to have an accident if you're under the posted limit, i.e. you were under 30mph, you should have been safe, therefore you must have been doing something else to crash.

Yet it's still a 1500kg car doing 25mph sliding on mud and grass, that's a fair amount of kinetic energy there. Remember the Cannon St train shunt, a few people died IIRC yet the train crashed into the buffers at just 4mph.

I reckon the more this whole speed enforcement thing comes into play, the more we'll see drivers spinning off corners on NSL roads whilst doing 40 or 50 mph.

I think it's a really dangerous false sense of security that most motorists will be lulled into.

I'll be honest, when I first read this thread I thought "25, yeah and the rest" but the more I've thought about it and the various other similar reactions here, I started to think that we've all become so battered by the "Speed Kills" propaganda that we start to believe it's impossible to have an accident if you're under the posted limit, i.e. you were under 30mph, you should have been safe, therefore you must have been doing something else to crash.

Yet it's still a 1500kg car doing 25mph sliding on mud and grass, that's a fair amount of kinetic energy there. Remember the Cannon St train shunt, a few people died IIRC yet the train crashed into the buffers at just 4mph.

I reckon the more this whole speed enforcement thing comes into play, the more we'll see drivers spinning off corners on NSL roads whilst doing 40 or 50 mph.

I think it's a really dangerous false sense of security that most motorists will be lulled into.

Why teach people to drive well, and have traffic police to target people that drive dangerously, when you can just brainwash a whole country into thinking that speed kills, and make a fat pile of cash in the process. Great sig by the way :)

Amazing isn't it. You've got people sueing the council for tripping over a paving stone, and yet when the road is awash with mud and you crash your car as a result, there's nothing you can do.

• 2 weeks later...

just seen this car at honda in kirkcaldy - recognised it right away!!!

Is it getting fixed Jamie/ the guy on the forecourt wanted to sell me it LOL...i was kinda eyeing up that one glass headlight and your mirrors!!!!

hope its getting fixed soon!

Local farmer got done a while back for leaving the road filthy! good enough for him.

Slightly OT, but there was recent local news of a farmer whose sheep/goats had strayed off his land onto an A road. A car sucessfully made an emergency stop, but a van behind shunted the car, and the van driver sued the farmer. WTF is that all about? Braking distance, anyone?

just seen this car at honda in kirkcaldy - recognised it right away!!!

Is it getting fixed Jamie/ the guy on the forecourt wanted to sell me it LOL...i was kinda eyeing up that one glass headlight and your mirrors!!!!

hope its getting fixed soon!

Hey Irvy!

The guy thats to do the "insurance" bit was on holiday last week - should get an idea of whats happening tomorrow or Wednesday...

Did you get a good look at it? I've not been able to think about it much - and I couldn't face going up to see it...it just chokes be up thinking about it :(

Fingers crossed.

Jamie